When family's not on board

Options
Hi! I am yet again on my health journey after having a baby and dealing with depression. I have alot of weight to lose and have been successful before when it was just me. Now I have a husband, two kids, and sometimes inlaws as well to cook for. They are not looking for healthy options. I know I cant force anyone to change their ways, especially if they bought the food. I try to keep junk food out of the house and its brought right back in. I have said something to my inlaws about this and its a "oh sure i understand" and they buy stuff the day later. They stay with us alot. My stepson 11, is very picky and eats very unhealthy. The temptation is alot. How do make this easier and more feasible for me to stay on track? Cooking two different meals a day is doable but eventually Id like to not do that.

Replies

• gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    If you are cooking, they can eat what you make or they can cook for themselves. An 11 year old can learn to cook.

Pretty much. In my house we either cook together to make something we can all eat (or I split off a portion before they add stuff I'm avoiding) or my fiance cooks for our roommate and I happily fend for myself. I'll be damned if I'm going to cook two totally separate meals and I'd never ask my fiance to do that either.

As for making it easier? That might just be a mental change on your part. I've gotten very very good at mentally labeling food as "mine" or "NOT MINE". It would be very rude to eat someone else's food, so it's usually easy to not be tempted. If something does trigger a craving I go have a snack of my own, or keep busy doing something else until it passes.

I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect everyone else in the house to stick to your diet or never buy junk or bring it into the house where they're living, too. Aside from perishables that need to be kept cold, the easiest solution for now may be for the other people to keep their temptations tucked away somewhere so you at least don't have to look at it all of the time. Assuming they're willing, of course.

It's hard to be the only one in the house trying to do a specific thing, but it's worth being determined enough to stick to your plan.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to (flexible for very special occasions) to the 80/20 rule. 80% of my calories on healthy, nutritious foods. Allowing up to 20% of calories for "foods I really fancied/treats".

When I shopped, or encouraged others in my household to do the same. I would buy "snack/treat" foods for the rest of my household that I didn't like or enjoy very much. That way, they continued to have what they wanted. It helped me avoid temptation. As I didn't want to waste my calories on food I didn't enjoy. Over time this became easier as I formed new habits.

Keeping some "treats" that I really loved, just for myself.
    Enjoying them as I knew I could work it into my calorie budget and stay on track.

• saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's much harder when we're not single, or living alone!

I've got a husband who is not interested in changing his eating habits or losing weight and a tween, as well. Here are some things that have helped me:
    • My DH and kid have places to keep their unhealthy snacks that are basically out of sight for me 90% of the time. (My DH keeps them on top of the fridge, and my kiddo has snack shelves that slide into a gap between the fridge and the wall.)
    • I have a "set" breakfast I make for myself every day. And I like it and eat it, and it gets me off on the right foot.
    • I do healthy snack prep when I can so that when my family are munching on their chips/cookies/ice cream, I have some delicious, ripe peaches or plums or something I'm happy with
    • I am starting to get to a point where I am feeling more comfortable with the fact that if I am cooking, I can make what I want and they can eat it or they can figure out their own dinner.
    • Having my own cabinet that has treats for me that they aren't allowed to take
    • When both the DH and kiddo refuse my dinner, I outsource the job of feeding the kiddo to the DH. :)

I will say: My DH used to turn up his nose at even the mention of someone eating vegetarian food or unusual veggies, etc. But the reality is, if it tastes good, he'll eat it. Over time he has come to eat what I make more often than not, including vegetarian "meatballs" and tacos/burritos with veggie crumble. Last night I made homemade macaroni and cheese, and he loved it -- even though it was made with non-dairy milk and whole wheat pasta!
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Last night I made homemade macaroni and cheese, and he loved it -- even though it was made with non-dairy milk and whole wheat pasta!
    This is really good advice - and we do the same here. Same favourites, healthier swaps.

I guess it depends what sort of food you are making and they are refusing (and what they want instead)- if you are cooking healthy family meals then I think I might be alone here when I say that they can absolutely eat healthier food and benefit from it- or maybe they have to cook something else to go with it if it doesn't suit. There are usually compromises that can be made, adaptions etc, but you shouldn't need to, imo, cook an entirely different menu for them.

If this is about healthier choices (rather than portion sizes) it's about keeping yourself on track whilst the rest of the family catches up with the idea. Finding a balance.

Agree that they need to keep their own snacks in their own place and you have your own supply as well - your go-to place that is going to be free of bad choices. In our house, we all have our own snack basket!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    If you are cooking, they can eat what you make or they can cook for themselves. An 11 year old can learn to cook.

^^^ This...
  • Jumpropegirl5467
    Jumpropegirl5467 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue as you. My family goes out to buy fast food, and snacks every single day. This is extremely difficult to me. But it is true that the temptation only comes through our eyes, therefore I suggest out of sight out of mind, so whenever they do this I go to my room or find a place in the house where that food I wanna eat isn’t. I also have snacks of my own that I can eat while we’re together and they’re eating unhealthy snacks. However I also allow myself to have the “bad snacks” I really want to have so long as they fit into my calorie goal and definitely log them into MFP. Remember that no food is bad food, all in moderation, and within your calorie goal!