Blood pressure and weight loss

Options
Hi Folks,
Today I need to ask you to kindly help weight loss and control my blood pressure naturally. I don’t want to control with medications. Presently my BP is 137/89 and weight is 205lbs. I need to lose 35 lbs.
Please help and suggest a great diet for BP.
Thanks

Replies

• Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Look up the DASH diet.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I weighed 202 and lost 35 lbs the first 6 months I was using MFP. Losing weight is about creating a calorie deficit and different folks go about how they do that in different ways. I just tracked my meals but ate (and still do eat) a pretty diverse array of foods.

Only a qualified medical professional can prescribe something for your BP. What does your doc say? Can your doctor refer you to a registered dietician?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The largest impacts will be weight loss and exercise. I would also recommend eating whole foods and limiting ultra processed foods.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,075 Member
    Options
    Look up the DASH diet.

Seconding this. DASH = Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.

If you Google "DASH", you'll find lots of information. If you belong to a library, they will probably have books on DASH as well.
  • mhamzikhan9292
    mhamzikhan9292 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Greeting, Here are some tips to lose your weight.

Start Morning walk.
    Balance your diet.
    Boycott junk foods.
    Take Healthy foods.
    Drink Fruit Juices.
    Don’t go for bed after having a meal.
    Walk a minimum of 10 min after taking a meal.
    Take lemongrass tea before taking breakfast.
    Do Exercise.
    Hope it will be helpful for you.Best wishes.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Greeting, Here are some tips to lose your weight.

Start Morning walk.
    Balance your diet.
    Boycott junk foods.
    Take Healthy foods.
    Drink Fruit Juices.
    Don’t go for bed after having a meal.
    Walk a minimum of 10 min after taking a meal.
    Take lemongrass tea before taking breakfast.
    Do Exercise.
    Hope it will be helpful for you.Best wishes.

Most of your suggestions are fine as techniques for helping keep on track for weight loss but none of them is necessary.

These things may work for you but fundamentally, weight loss is based on taking in fewer calories than one expends. Some people are helped in this process by avoiding junk food but that's not necessary. Walking is good for you but you don't have to do it at the schedule you suggest. There's no time of day to eat or not that makes a difference for weight loss.

There is one suggestion that is worrisome and that is the recommendation to drink fruit juices. The most up-to-date take on fruit juices is that they are relatively high in sugar calories without accompanying fiber and therefore to be kept to a minimum. Here's information from Harvard University's School of Public Health:

"Juice has less fiber than a whole fruit or vegetable does, and fruit juices in particular are likely to have a higher glycemic index — a measure of how a food raises blood-sugar levels — than a whole fruit. Also, “there’s increasing evidence that drinking isn’t as satiating as eating whole foods,” says McManus. Studies indicate that people who drink juices tend to add them to their diets rather than substitute them for other foods, thus increasing their total calorie consumption." (https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/fresh-juice-drinks-healthy-seem-2016072910044)
  • claburnm
    claburnm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    first off unless you are in your 20's your blood pressure isnt that bad at all, I have lost 50lbs and been able to drop my BP from 155/100+ to 118/70 while cutting out 2 of 3 BP meds and hope to be off the last one in the coming months.
    Exercise, drink more water, get more dietary potassium and make sure you are not having any sleep issues like apnea. Try DEEP breathing for 5-10 minutes a day-it really helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOki0gdP_Ps
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I hope weight loss works for you. I prefer doing things naturally where possible, its better than forcing things with pills. I'm not convinced even pills work for everyone. A neighbour runs the same on pills as without. A family member lost a significant amount of weight, more than 40 lb and their blood pressure remained the same, subsequently on pills its sometimes close to 120/80 but its as likely to be up in 130's even after a good amount of exercise. But the doctors are happy at the annual review they seem to know they have followed their rules.

All the very best to you.