Apple Watch Users

Hello! I just got an Apple Watch and I need some advice! I wasn't sure if anyone on here has used one with this app before but I was just curious how you used them together, if at all! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yeah I got one last summer. I Googled how to sync Apple Watch with MFP and there were some pretty easy instructions. I think I had to give MFP permission to sync with the Apple Health app and then it worked just fine.

Some people on here have posted about using an app called Pacer that makes it easy to link Apple Watch to MFP as well but I haven't needed to go that route.

Enjoy the watch its amazing!
  • pmalexis_
    pmalexis_ Posts: 61 Member
    briscogun wrote: »
    Yeah I got one last summer. I Googled how to sync Apple Watch with MFP and there were some pretty easy instructions. I think I had to give MFP permission to sync with the Apple Health app and then it worked just fine.

Some people on here have posted about using an app called Pacer that makes it easy to link Apple Watch to MFP as well but I haven't needed to go that route.

Thank you so much for the help! :)

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    You can use the Pacer app to transfer data to MFP. In MFP, select the Pacer for steps. Connect Apple Health to Pacer as well.
    When you log a workout in Apple Watch then sync to Pacer, you will see two adjustments, one from Pacer, one from the Apple Watch. Delete the Apple Health bc it’s a double. For the adjustment, if you select sedentary, your entire move goal will be your adjustment, lightly active or active, it will be less. I started using Pacer but now I don’t. I know my TDEE by calculation and years of tracking is about 1800. Apple Watch puts me at over 2000 a day. This is what mine looks like now. 9lhd1l7xwtsz.jpeg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    @heybales

You should definitely use Pacer. The sync between Apple and MFP transmits data but not correct data.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ditto's to some comments above.

Pacer isn't for making it easier to sync, it's for making the sync worthwhile.

If you are syncing because you want accurate data on MFP about your level of activity and how much you burn, and letting MFP create a deficit for reasonable weight loss - then direct sync with Apple won't provide that no matter how easy it was to do.

Bad numbers is worse than no sync I'd suggest. (unless you have a handle on what is and is not occurring, and have your own correct math from experience, like Talan79 references)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member

Same for me. It just intuitively started doing it’s thing once I gave it and MFP permission to sync with one another. Easy peasy.

Others here, however, complain theirs doesn’t sync and they have to jump through hoops. I can’t imagine what the difference is.

I’d start with simply syncing them and see if it works before going down the rabbit hole.
  • yasiral
    yasiral Posts: 133 Member
    Well I check total coloured burnt (active plus resting calories) and then subtract calories accordingly. I.e if I want to lose 1 pound per week, I subtract 500 and eat that many calories that day. As my goals are set and everything and my total calories burnt is almost same everyday , I know how many calories to eat
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Apple Watch and MFP handle data differently, and I noticed that passive activity wasn't syncing as precisely as I wanted (workouts were fine). So I went digging for an answer (just in case I was crazy) and found Pacer.

I sync Apple Watch -> Pacer -> MFP, but that's only to give me a general idea and for data tracking. I have opted to keep track of my data through apple's health app (I created a spreadsheet for myself that calculates roughly each day's TDEE based on active + resting and then get my deficit by subtracting my consumed (which I track in MFP and sync back to AH)).

I love numbers, and I was kind of at a standstill (last 10-20lbs), and this is what's jump started me. So I set a base consumption target in MFP (manual) and will adjust base don how active or inactive I am that day. I look at calories overall for a week vs. in a single day and that will give me my personal projected loss.

Through this, I discovered that I'm actually pretty active and the numbers are generally trending the way I'd expect (given that no method is 100% accurate and my tracking is precise science... I expect some error rate) minus a few blips here and there (that I attribute to nature and my body and all that "biology" jazz).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Same for me. It just intuitively started doing it’s thing once I gave it and MFP permission to sync with one another. Easy peasy.

Others here, however, complain theirs doesn’t sync and they have to jump through hoops. I can’t imagine what the difference is.

I’d start with simply syncing them and see if it works before going down the rabbit hole.

Actually, it's rarely a problem of getting them to sync, I don't see that many posts about steps not showing up or other common syncing complaints.

The problems is wrong info is sent - that's been confirmed many times over.

So it's very easy to get a sync going to start receiving incorrect numbers.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    heybales wrote: »

Actually, it's rarely a problem of getting them to sync, I don't see that many posts about steps not showing up or other common syncing complaints.

The problems is wrong info is sent - that's been confirmed many times over.

So it's very easy to get a sync going to start receiving incorrect numbers.

This. The transfer of numbers always worked. For a long time it didn't matter because I was running a TDEE system and the exercise calories were just there as a number to try and improve upon. If I were trying to use the numbers for the native MFP NEAT system I do now I would be fatigued and/or ravenous all the time because I would not be eating enough. They were routinely a third to a half of the proper amount.