Fruit

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I suggest that a pre or even a diabetic will see glucose improvement with weight loss. There are cases of high carb vegans putting their diabetes in remission with a high carb diet as long as they lose their excess weight.

I definitely agree that weight loss and exercise will yield the best results. I would also suggest that resistance training helps.

Second, generally when you aim to lose weight, you still reduce carbs, even as a vegan or plant based eater. If a person has issues with glucose control, eating a ton of carbs is not the greatest of decisions. Can you get away with it? Maybe, but lowering carbs in favor to protein and healthy fats, will likely yield better results.

But as always, dietary compliance is key to success.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I will open my diary if you could tell me how.....I am 57 weight at start (31st July) was 210lb now 206.5lb (2nd Aug)my goal is 140lb so 70lb to lose. I walk on average 3 mile's every morning this includes inclines aswell as declines...anything else you need ?

Your diary isn't open yet. We can look at it. Ideally, you would want near 100-120g of protein based on your end state goals.
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Walkingwithdogs Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think I have opened my diary now ??
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Are you using a food scale? A lot of your entries don't appear to be weighed? 2 scrambled eggs were they cooked with any oil, milk, or butter? Did you make the cottage pie listed? How did you determine the calories for most of your fruit listed?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I find entries like "Generic - Tea - Cup of Tea With Skimmed Milk, 2 mug" to not be very helpful. How much milk I add to a cup of tea may be very different than what you would add. For skim milk, it may not make a huge difference but little inaccuracies can have a way of adding up.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    When it comes to diabetes, refined carbs and added sugar are typically the problem, not fruit sugar. The amount of fruit you described shouldn’t be a problem. Weight loss will help your possible browser line diabetes.
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Are you using a food scale? A lot of your entries don't appear to be weighed? 2 scrambled eggs were they cooked with any oil, milk, or butter? Did you make the cottage pie listed? How did you determine the calories for most of your fruit listed?

No scales at theoment due to house move...they are in "a box" somewhere, desparately trying to track them down.......I scan the packets of everything I buy to get the best/closest cal count as I can...scrambled eggs are cooked without anything being added at all...I made the cottage pie from scratch.....so 250g lean mince..1 med onion ..etc...
    It's a mission to find my scales...
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    When it comes to diabetes, refined carbs and added sugar are typically the problem, not fruit sugar. The amount of fruit you described shouldn’t be a problem. Weight loss will help your possible browser line diabetes.

Thank you :)
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options

I find entries like "Generic - Tea - Cup of Tea With Skimmed Milk, 2 mug" to not be very helpful. How much milk I add to a cup of tea may be very different than what you would add. For skim milk, it may not make a huge difference but little inaccuracies can have a way of adding up.

Point taken...it was the nearest I could find at that time ..
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    PsuLemon...I am in the process of trying to make a conscious effort to cut down on my carbs
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    Does anyone think I need to change reduce alter anything...or does my diet thus far look balanced ?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    PsuLemon...I am in the process of trying to make a conscious effort to cut down on my carbs

Overall it doesn't looks too bad. If anything I would add a bit more protein to get it closer to 100g. But if that is a stretch, i wouldn't stress too much at the moment.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Point taken...it was the nearest I could find at that time ..

Hey, I hope you don't feel like people are piling on. We know that it takes time and effort to learn how to log accurately . . . nobody does it perfectly at first (well, maybe SOMEONE, but not me). I was able to get help by asking questions and reading posts here, so that was the spirit of my comment.

When I have tea with milk, I usually don't log the tea (it has very few calories, but you can find entries for it if you'd rather log it). I then measure the milk and find an entry for that (like 1/4 of a cup or whatever measurement you're using). Cups or fluid ounces are a good way to measure liquids like milk, I've found.

As a general rule of thumb, whenever you're eating a combination food (tea and milk, toast and jam, whatever), it's generally more accurate to log individually rather than find an already combined entry - this is because it's really hard to tell from the entries how much of each item the person creating the entry is assuming you're eating so the calories can get off very quickly. Again, not that big of a deal for tea and skim milk, but it can be really off for some others.

Good luck!
  • joyneville253
    joyneville253 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Unless ur diabetic i dont see a problem eating fruit. Ive lost 137 lbs so far and i eat fruit ..however I make sure it falls into my calric deficit on mfp😘👍good job btw
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Overall it doesn't looks too bad. If anything I would add a bit more protein to get it closer to 100g. But if that is a stretch, i wouldn't stress too much at the moment.

Will certainly give it ago...thanks again :)
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    Janejellyroll....I take the comments in good spirit.....it all helps and is most welcome..thank you :)
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    Unless ur diabetic i dont see a problem eating fruit. Ive lost 137 lbs so far and i eat fruit ..however I make sure it falls into my calric deficit on mfp😘👍good job btw

Thanks very much...and congrats on the brilliant weight loss...:)
  • Walkingwithdogs
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Which chart should i pay more attention to....Nutrients or Macros ?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Some find that macros make a big difference to their hunger, but I really don't, for me it's much more about overall food choice. MFP is not a great place to track micronutrients like Vit D, since many of those are not on food labels or in the entries that exist on MFP, and just eating a healthy overall diet (lots of veg, some fruit, healthy fats, sufficient protein, is a good way to ensure sufficient nutrients without having to worry about trying to track them).

I'd recommend looking at calories, protein, and fiber as a start, as well as looking at your macros and food choices on days that feel especially easy or hard, to see if there's any connection.

I also think adding in healthy fats (nuts, seeds, olives/olive oil, avocado, fatty fish) is a great thing to do, but from the above discussion it sounds like you are already doing that.
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Options
    Thank you...that helps :)