Coronavirus and Obesity

Options
There’s been a lot of scary reports the past couple months linking morbid obesity (40+ BMI) with poor outcomes / more severe cases of coronavirus.

As someone who is extremely morbidly obese it has helped motivate me to lose weight. However, it’s still scary and stress inducing for me. It causes me a lot of anxiety and fear about getting COVID.

Since it seems, the media reports a lot of bad news I was wondering if anyone here has experienced coronavirus as an obese person?

It would help me and maybe others to know that even obese people can and do survive this terrible disease.

Thank you.

Replies

• glp2323
    glp2323 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight.

Has anyone here had coronavirus? What was your experience like with it?
  • katyjcrafts
    katyjcrafts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was watching a programme last night with Dr Michael Mosley who wrote the 5:2 diet. He had 5 people who were all in the obese category and was going to see if they could shift a stone in 3 weeks eating 800 cals a day. He kept stressing about it being worse if u overweight and get coronavirus but one thing I did notice was that at no time either inside or out did anyone wear a face mask. That includes the two doctors doing the study. Obviously any condition is worse if you are overweight but sometimes we have to weigh up the risks taking everything into account as I think weight is only part of it
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    glp2323 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Tough to stay positive and upbeat these days. Definitely need to avoid the news more.

I hear you about your world shrinking when you gain weight. My world is mostly my bedroom now. I used to enjoy so much more when I was healthier. I hope I can get back there.

I find "My 600 Pound Life" inspirational.

I'm struggling to avoid the news, as I am unemployed and need to know what's going to happen with the Federal unemployment bonus so I can plan. But the more news I consume, the more my mental health suffers.

On the plus side, there should be more resources available to you these days with tele-health having become big. I just started see a psychologist remotely this week, and have been working with a dietitian.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Tough to stay positive and upbeat these days. Definitely need to avoid the news more.

I hear you about your world shrinking when you gain weight. My world is mostly my bedroom now. I used to enjoy so much more when I was healthier. I hope I can get back there.

I'm struggling to avoid the news, as I am unemployed and need to know what's going to happen with the Federal unemployment bonus so I can plan. But the more news I consume, the more my mental health suffers.

On the plus side, there should be more resources available to you these days with tele-health having become big. I just started see a psychologist remotely this week, and have been working with a dietitian.

I watch Meet Kevin on youtube, and he does daily stimulus and unemployment updates. Very helpful and he isn’t biased (doesn’t say if he’s left or right, just gives facts from both sides). I appreciate his updates so I don’t have to watch the news anymore. Check him out! It’ll help your stress I’m sure :smile:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I was watching a programme last night with Dr Michael Mosley who wrote the 5:2 diet. He had 5 people who were all in the obese category and was going to see if they could shift a stone in 3 weeks eating 800 cals a day. He kept stressing about it being worse if u overweight and get coronavirus but one thing I did notice was that at no time either inside or out did anyone wear a face mask. That includes the two doctors doing the study. Obviously any condition is worse if you are overweight but sometimes we have to weigh up the risks taking everything into account as I think weight is only part of it

No surprise that a person advocating a horrible calorie plan like that has other gaps and deficiencies in understanding; they are not to be listened to about anything.
  • glp2323
    Options
    I am morbidly obese (5'2" and currently 328 lbs) I had corona. I tested positive on 6/23/20, at the time I had a cough, runny nose, and horrible upset stomach and no appetite, i could smell the food but it made me nauseous. I stayed home as instructed and within 4 days of testing positive my cold symptoms were gone. still had upset stomach. I had a heart attack with cardiac arrest on 7/5/20 ( not covid related). was re tested on 7/6 and was still positive. Upon leaving the hospital on 7/11 i had no symptoms of covid nor had in while in hospital. i tested again on 7/30 and was told 8/5 i was finally negative. YAY!!!. I only had the cold symptoms at the very beginning for less than a week. no trouble breathing or anything like that. just a cough and runny nose. SO being morbidly obese did not impact my covid sickness. Cant say it slowed down testing negative as my hubby was also positive and took just as long to get a negative result. They said sometimes cells from it just linger.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you are feeling better!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I watch Meet Kevin on youtube, and he does daily stimulus and unemployment updates. Very helpful and he isn’t biased (doesn’t say if he’s left or right, just gives facts from both sides). I appreciate his updates so I don’t have to watch the news anymore. Check him out! It’ll help your stress I’m sure :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH97ri6Xyuo

"In reality, all four are just playing WOW together."

:lol:
  • glp2323
    Options
    Scary times for many of us as COVID rages. Any stories of recovery or beating COVID as an overweight person? Need some hope!