Declare your own challenge AUGUST 2020 [Samples included]

Replies

• GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,114 Member
    Not sure I chose the best challenges for my first week here.
    I said I’ll eat in target, but forgot I came to debate with myself the number given by FitBit. Started with the given 1200 cal, which I never met but exercised to bring myself on green. Very upside down view. I changed the target last week into 1450 cal and the status from sedentary to moderate active. The step count was out of whack this week, weird.
    So I kinda met this goal with a 100 cal error margin
    My second was exercising 3 times a week-failed so far, but have 2 long walks planned with my friend, so maybe win.
    I ran an errand 3h away Monday and my college daughter came with me. We had the best talk in couple of months. So happy!!!
    What is with kids and no eye contact talks? Therapists should drive them around instead of sitting them on the couch.
  • tenazhsc
    tenazhsc Posts: 70 Member
    Ugh I just wrote a long message replying to some of your post (on my phone) and I hit Done instead of Post Reply aghhhh
    Anyways I'll reply again when I get back to the PC.
    I didn't do the video but I had a on field job that was a leg killer installing graphics 2 feet above finished floor. Here's the breakdown.
    109 pieces of glass
    Moves per glass
    Squats x 2 = 218
    Lunges x 2 = 218
    Bent downs x 3 = 327
    Total 763 motions.

Im pretty sore 😬
  • tenazhsc
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    @fstrickl he really is the best! he always gets two walks a day- no matter the warm or cold! I don't really count it as part of my intentional workouts anymore except while I was recovering from my surgery as I really couldn't do much. Super glad to be back to being able to move and go again, haven't felt myself the last two weeks.

Anybody else would like to see a pic of this good boy? :wink:
  • tenazhsc
    I may be absent for a little while. I work for the power utility. We got hit by the hurricane. Our company has 400,000 customers without power. I will be working storm rotation for the foreseeable future.

I saw this when you posted it but didn't have the chance to reply. I hope you stay safe out there. You're a real hero.
  • tenazhsc
    fstrickl wrote: »
    Yikes @debrakgoogins ! Hope everyone is okay and stay safe! I’m sure many are thankful for your work.

@annliz23 hope your husband is doing better!

Yesterday I ended up going on a 1.5 hour walk before bed to a new to me ravine in my city. It was a lovely walk. This is the river that runs through my city.

5dilxdgnt1wn.jpeg

Nice pic. So peaceful. I love seeing and sharing pictures I take during my walks. It's like walking together.
  • tenazhsc
    GabiV125 wrote: »
    Not sure I chose the best challenges for my first week here.
    I said I’ll eat in target, but forgot I came to debate with myself the number given by FitBit. Started with the given 1200 cal, which I never met but exercised to bring myself on green. Very upside down view. I changed the target last week into 1450 cal and the status from sedentary to moderate active. The step count was out of whack this week, weird.
    So I kinda met this goal with a 100 cal error margin
    My second was exercising 3 times a week-failed so far, but have 2 long walks planned with my friend, so maybe win.
    I ran an errand 3h away Monday and my college daughter came with me. We had the best talk in couple of months. So happy!!!
    What is with kids and no eye contact talks? Therapists should drive them around instead of sitting them on the couch.

Don't beat yourself up too much for not meeting the goals. This is one aspect of challenging ourselves, that we learn how far we can realistically push ourselves and if we pay attention we can then work on the specific things that we didn't do quite right. Figure out what prevented you from doing it and then work on eliminating the obstacles/excuses one at a time. Sometimes there are reasons and that's ok too.
    I'm glad you had a nice time with your daughter. As far as no eye contact I'll tell you as a son, not as father cause I don't have adolescent kids yet, that you ought to remember the things your parents wanted you do differently that they didn't understand. But look at you, you turned out ok right? Were you maybe on the phone all day. Or you liked music that your parents didn't approve. I don't know why she wouldn't make eye contact but you got to remember that in today's world with social media kids are not used to socializing in person and hence not much eye contact is done. It's just the reality, not much use in fighting it. Actually some of them may think staring may be creepy or threatening. I bet you she can tell you all about it if you show you her you genuinely want to learn why that is vs you lecturing her that she needs to change that. I realize that this has nothing to do with fitness so feel free to disregard it I just thought to give you my perspective.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Here we go-one week check in. I spent three days doing power restoration so I didn’t hit all my goals but still accomplished some great things.

Starting weight 210.6, current weight 210; down .6! This is incredibly hard to do during storm work because we work 17 hour shifts and eat crap takeout for every meal.

I was only able to practice 3 throwing events but did really well at them. I reached my goal distance on light hammer (50 feet) so I will set a new goal of 52 feet. I hit 18 feet in sheaf so I only have a foot to reach my goal. Weight over bar is soooo hard! I am clearing 11 feet and working on 13.

My college son who lives 2400 miles a way surprised us with a 4 day visit. I was so sad because he arrived Thursday, the second to last day I worked storm. He stayed up so I could get a hug when I got home for my rest break. We stayed up and talked. I was exhausted yesterday morning but it was worth it. Yesterday, I broke rotation at 3 and he and I had a great afternoon. We hiked a four mile trail on Mt Agamenticus then enjoyed a well earned fresh Maine seafood dinner. After three days of no sleep and long hours, last night I finally got a full nights rest.

I’ll get some throwing in this weekend and enjoy having my son around. Talk to you all tomorrow 😊
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    @debrakgoogins well done! Losing weight through that craziness is impressive. Enjoy your weekend with your son.

The first week of August went well for me too. It was rough getting back to work after our winter vacation but under lockdown vacation and work doesn’t really look that different so changes weren’t that major.

My goals were:

a) minimum of 80000 steps per week
    b) short Pilates workout minimum 4 times a week
    c) no Coke Zero/Diet Coke/Pepsi Max etc in August

All met. I got just over 123000 steps and did 6 short Pilates workouts (the workout is literally 10 minutes long so not a big time commitment). Nothing to drink except water (I don’t like any drinks except water and those I’m taking a break from).

Down 0.7kg. Pleased with that. As of this morning exactly 2kg until I move out of overweight according to BMI.
  • GabiV125
    One week under belt!
    Challenge1: Eat <=1500. Within 100 variance almost every day, so I’m counting it as a win, since usually don’t stick to the number for more then 3-4 days per week
    Challenge 2: Exercise 3x30’. 1 body weight 30’, 2 walks of 60’
    I did not think I’ll get it done on first try, but surprisingly I did , and have 3 more weeks to follow . Yay!
  • GabiV125
    Xiaolongbao congratulations on all: 123k steps ( amazing 16k per day), a serious weight loss and soon to change stats!!! Way to go!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    We had a bbq and fire tonight. My physical activity was a tense game of backyard Jenga.

ffi3xrpia03p.jpeg
    1qzhjoexj5mz.jpeg
  • Xiaolongbao
    @GabiV125 thanks! Well done on your success too -especially with sticking to calories.

@debrakgoogins that sounds like a fun workout :-)

Today (Sunday) I’m giving myself a rest day. Still tracking calories but minimal walking and no other exercise. I’m feeling a bit rundown so it seemed like the smart thing to do.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Well done with the first week everyone! It’s been interesting and inspiring to see how you’re all keeping up with your plans. @Xiaolongbao remind me to never enter a step challenge with you 😜

@GabiV125 excellent work on the planning and staying under budget.

@debrakgoogins your life size Jenga looks awesome! What a lovely evening that seems to have been.

@tenazhsc hope you’re happy to be back in your regular routine now! Looks like you did a good job despite the abnormal routine though.

And those I missed, I hope you nail it in week 2!

I started out strong with the water and bed time plans for the first half of the week, but then things seemed to get away with me. The days I did not start with a cup of water I have noticed I’m much thirstier by noon. Will focus on getting that hydration in every day this upcoming week.

Like I’ve already mentioned, I’m heading to the mountains for 4 days of camping. It’s not much but it will throw off my plan, that’s okay though, rest will be good. I won’t be following my workout routine but plan to hike hike hike! And I can still start my day with a glass of water!

On Monday August 10th post your plan for the week (modified for holidays)
    - start everyday with a glass of water
    - get 4 short hikes in
    - when back get back into routine and don’t use holidays as a chance to slack.

Happy 2nd Week of August everyone!
  • Vetleanni
    Vetleanni Posts: 64 Member
    Well done on meeting your goals @debrakgoogins @Xiaolongbao and @GabiV125 ! :smiley:

My check in is not that uplifting, I got sick, and ended up sleeping at any time of the day, making my night sleep if anything, eaven more of a mess. Im better now though, and will be starting over this week :smile: Goal for this week is the same, minimum of 7 hours pr night, puts me at a bedtime at midnight at latest this week.
    Got my meditations in though, at the end of this week :smile: so thats a good thing. I do feel like it actually helps with stress management in periods where life gets a little busy, and thats one of the reasons I want to make it a permanent habit.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Not sure if this is right!dynku6hjucmg.jpg
  • Xiaolongbao
    @Vetleanni sorry to hear you've been unwell. I hope this is a better week for you.

Happy Monday everyone. I'm sticking with the same goals. No Pepsi Max (or similar) and 80,000 steps minimum across the week. I'm counting my week as Sunday - Saturday.
  • GabiV125
    Happy Monday teammates!
    My challenges for this week:
    1) calories =<1500
    2) exercise 3x30’
    3) walk the dog 20’ after every meal so I don’t go immediately for seconds or thirds
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Last week checkin:

Daily food planning one day in advance-> made it

Stay at/under calorie goal->all but one day (yesterday)

Excluding daily walks 15 workouts this month-> so far only 2- better step up!

Continue to use Sunday as a self care day-> did!

Give up excessive snacking-> did pretty good minus yesterday

Same goals again for this week- consistency is big for me.
    Time to check in on your posts- I dont tend to use any social media on weekends to allow my eyes and mind a break :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is right!dynku6hjucmg.jpg

Sorry the details are right I ment i hope this is right way to record my results for the week.