PLEASE, I'm so upset and I have tried everything and I can't seem to lose weight

Options

Replies

• saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Here's what jumped out at me:
    • I'm not sure whether you're eating too many calories, or not getting enough. When we don't eat enough, our bodies go into conservation mode and hang onto whatever they can instead of letting us lose weight. Either way, I agree with everyone else that you should get a food scale and weigh your food. Use actual measuring spoons and cups so you know what you're really working with.
    • It doesn't look like you're getting a ton of fiber. Fiber cleans us out, so if you want to drop some weight, making sure you have plenty of fiber in your diet is helpful. It looks like you have virtually no vegetables in your diet. I'd try to up those.
    • While exercise is important, I have really come to believe that a lot more can be done just by changing diet than you think, and that's really the place to start.
    • If you're an emotional eater (like I am), see if you can make any progress dealing with the issues that caused you to gain the weight in the first place.

Best of luck!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Enter your details in to the Guided Setup screen.
    Select to lose at a rate of 1lb a week to start with (as you only have 30lb to lose, anything faster is too aggressive).
    See how many calories MFP gives you and eat that many.
    Log any purposeful exercise and eat 50-75% of those calories too. (this is how MFP is designed)

Weigh everything you eat or cook with or add as a dressing and measure everything you drink. Log it all.
    Make sure the entries you select match the info on the packaging / look reasonable. Some things may have changed since the entry was created and some are just very dodgy entries.

Give it 6 weeks of being consistently weighing and tracking everything then see how you're doing. This gives you a couple of weeks to settle in to it plus one full menstrual cycle.
  • bmattimore
    bmattimore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but it seems to me you're getting too many carbs or too much sugar. You may want to try and go to all whole foods and see if that helps and stay away from the nutbars. Nutbars and Peanut Butter seems like that would be a lot. Also what kind of rice are you having and how much of it? If it's white rice, a half of a cup is about all you should have because it's high in carbs. Then there's bread on top of that which is high in carbs. I'm not saying don't have carbs but it should be limited. You get carbs from vegetables, fruits, grains, etc. Too many is not good so I'd stick to healthy carbs coming from vegetables and fruits and leave the others to having once in a while.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    IMG-20200806-221210-116.jpg

The oil thing is so true. I'd slacked off of measuring oil when I put it in a pan, because I *thought* I was nailing a tablespoon.

Noooope. I started measuring it again after my food scale died -- I'd realized it had gone bad when what it told me was 8 oz of pasta was obviously far more than 8 oz of pasta -- and I'd easily been underestimating it for *months*.

This is me with any type of grain or cereal. I just can't recognize what 1/2 a cup of grains (or the equivalent in grams) looks like and I don't think I ever will.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Because you are petite, your tracking has to be accurate, since you don’t need as many calories as a taller person.

There are some foods you can safely estimate because they are low in calories and a difference won’t matter much. Peanut butter is not one of those foods. An official “serving” of peanut butter is tiny compared to what a normal person puts on a sandwich, and a “tablespoon” of peanut butter measured using a measuring spoon is about twice as much as a proper tablespoon by weight. If you are eating peanut butter every day and not weighing it, you are probably getting two or three hundred extra calories right there, not even accounting for your other food! Weigh it, every time, until you see the results you would like.

Also don’t forget to count extras, such as whatever butter or sauce you have to cook and put on your rice and meat. Calorie dense foods such as butter and cooking oil are easy to forget about, and can easily have more calories than the rest of your meal combined.

It was a sad, sad day when I first weighed peanut butter on a food scale and realized just how small 2 T was.

f11441542ccfcb4c40d50aa9c2d4b960--sad-kitty-sad-cat.jpg

THIS! I was OMG, is that all I get?!?!
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep Weigh and measure. I measure liquids and yogurt and weigh everything else. And log it. I hate that part but I have to do it. It let's me keep track of calories and also keeps me on track to keep down the carbs and up the protein. I'm also short and it doesn't take many excess calories to keep me chubby.
    Also keep in mind that you are looking for a lifestyle change not just a quick fix.
    You came to the right place to figure this out for you.