Extreme fatigue the day after exercising?

Options
I went kayaking on Tuesday and hiking yesterday. Needless to say, I feel extremely fatigued today (both mentally and physically). I already slept 9 hours, but all I feel like doing is sleeping more. However, I obviously can't fall asleep as I only woke up 6 hours ago, so all I've been doing is lying on the sofa and doing housework. Is there anything that I can do to feel better other than resting, eating, and drinking water? I honestly feel like death right now.

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For today, if you’re tired - rest. I often go for a short walk (maybe just around the neighbourhood) when I feel like you describe. It usually helps me perk up but more importantly it gives me a mental check that I’ve done *something*.

In the future you might need to review how much you eat and drink during days with out-of-ordinary activities to set you up for success. But it sounds like a fun 2 days!
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is probably not. You may need rest, food, or both.

Just yesterday I went through the same thing. Was time for my cardio, but I had very little energy. I had bacon and eggs earlier (no carbs), have been cutting calories, and was just running out of gas. Felt like a zombie. I can identify it now, and just fuel myself with quality carbs. Yesterday that meant grapes, strawberries, and an orange. All my energy came back and had no problem with the cardio.

So, just be sure to fuel yourself if you are running out of gas. For me that means whole grains or fruit. And if your body is worn out, get the rest if you need it.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Eat, drink, rest.

If you are going to engage in long stretches of calorie burns consider keeping some very simple carbs with you - like candy to keep you from exhausting everything and leaving you ill. My warning - low fuel zone happens around 700 calories of fasted movement. After 800 I am at risk of a headache and having a really bad day. I once screwed up badly enough that it took me 2 weeks to get over it.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Just rest.