Rinse canned beans, beets etc before cooking or eating

Options
mikebxb
mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
I just read. Rinse canned beans, beets etc before cooking or eating.
This reduces the salt and starch by up to 40%
Your thoughts

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve never come across canned beetroot, if I’m honest, here in the UK it’s either pickled in vinegar or fresh cooked in it’s own juices or bought raw to cook at home.

Having said that, if something is ‘canned in brine’ I can see that rinsing off the brine would reduce the salt but even then 40% seems unlikely!

Since I’ve never seen beans/chickpeas etc canned in brine per se - it’s usually canned in water with salt (and maybe sugar?) added, I’m extremely dubious rinsing them would reduce salt significantly, since it’s not that much salt to begin with!

As for reducing the starch - that’s even more unlikely!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I make my own beans from dried, it eliminates all the guesswork with canned beans.

It's also about half the cost.

Other vegetables? I don't buy canned foods unless I'm stocking for the covid apocalypse.
  • mikebxb
    Options
    I make my own beans from dried, it eliminates all the guesswork with canned beans.

It's also about half the cost.

Other vegetables? I don't buy canned foods unless I'm stocking for the covid apocalypse.
    yes, I prefer and make beans from scratch as well. Love em. However there's a Dr Gundry on youboob that warns against beans (any) unless pressure cooked. (Lectin ?) I'm new to all this diet/nutrition what's healthy etc stuff..
  • mikebxb
    Options
    mikebxb wrote: »
    YouTube. Where you'll find out sugar is the devil and the earth is flat. :lol: Also cats, lots of cats.
    Understand Youboob, gorgle and such aren't Gospel. but through enough research you begin to see things that are agreed on by the experts. Like all info, you gotta separate the wheat from the chaff. ;-)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of extra "stuff" mfgs put in canned goods for color, taste & preservation. Veggies tend to include lot of salt and fruit a lot of sugar.

So, it's probably not a bad idea to rise off canned foods before eating them. I always microwave canned veggies and always rinse them b4 nuking them.

I usually drain the sugary liquid b4 eating canned fruit (admittedly sometimes straight from the can/jar) but never rinse off the fruit b4 eating it.

Just what I do for no particular reason other personal preference and habit.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I rinse beans when I use canned beans because I don't like the flavor/texture of the gloppy "liquid" they're canned in. Once in a while I reserve the canning liquid for an aquafaba experiment, but as I'm not vegan, I don't envision that becoming a regular part of my diet. Canned veg I generally just drain, if necessary for a recipe (i.e., it's going in a casserole and the extra liquid might throw it off), but I don't rinse.

Yes, if something is canned with added salt, you'll rinse off some of that salt by rinsing the beans/veg, but it's generally easy in my area to find low-salt or no-salt versions of most or all canned beans & veg, at the exact same price, so I would just do that if I had medical concerns about keeping my sodium low. I don't use that much canned beans & veg to begin with, so it's not always something I focus on when I buy my canned goods.

You can find a lot of alarmist stuff on the Internet. Probably doing yourself more harm by reading it and getting all worried and potentially rejecting perfectly wholesome foods.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,022 Member
    Options
    Tinned beetroot is common here in Australia, either sliced or cubed.
    I often eat it as part of a salad plate or slices in a salad sandwich.
    I drain it, of course - but, no I don't rinse it.
    Same with tinned corn, which I eat as part of a salad plate too.

Tinned beans - I eat tinned baked beans sometimes, would never drain or rinse them, the tomato sauce they are in is meant to be eaten.

Red kidney beans I use in home made chilli con carne - whole tin, beans and liquid, goes straight into the cooking pot.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    ... Once in a while I reserve the canning liquid for an aquafaba experiment, but as I'm not vegan, I don't envision that becoming a regular part of my diet. ...

I have recently come across references to aquafaba, and have thought to try it ... not so much for vegan purposes (we are fully omnivorous, if tilted a bit towards lots of veggies), but for "prepper utility" - last night we had power restored after 6 days due to the storm last week. Having alternatives to many things in your back pocket is always a good thing.

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    But I like the starchy water... Add carrot, onion, oil and condiments and you've got an instant sauce.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    ... Once in a while I reserve the canning liquid for an aquafaba experiment, but as I'm not vegan, I don't envision that becoming a regular part of my diet. ...

I have recently come across references to aquafaba, and have thought to try it ... not so much for vegan purposes (we are fully omnivorous, if tilted a bit towards lots of veggies), but for "prepper utility" - last night we had power restored after 6 days due to the storm last week. Having alternatives to many things in your back pocket is always a good thing.

Good point. Although the most popular use for aquafaba seems to be for meringue, and while I have both a gas stove and wood stove that function in power outages, I think it would be quite an upper arm work out to whip the aquafaba without an electric mixer. :smile:

I guess I need to investigate the use of aquafaba in baked goods. It would nice to be able to make pancakes in a (shorter) power outage without having to open the refrigerator door to go after an egg. I usually have dried eggs on hand as my backup for outages or blizzards (every five or six years we'll get snowed in for four to five days).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Good point. Although the most popular use for aquafaba seems to be for meringue, and while I have both a gas stove and wood stove that function in power outages, I think it would be quite an upper arm work out to whip the aquafaba without an electric mixer. :smile:

I guess I need to investigate the use of aquafaba in baked goods. It would nice to be able to make pancakes in a (shorter) power outage without having to open the refrigerator door to go after an egg. I usually have dried eggs on hand as my backup for outages or blizzards (every five or six years we'll get snowed in for four to five days).

I've had aquafaba cocktails (replacing the egg white in a whiskey sour-style drink). It worked out pretty well and I know if I'm ever in a prepper-type situation, I'll be craving a cocktail way more than a meringue.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

search "aquafaba" on youtube ... the usual bazillion vids pops up with a variety of uses for this substance. if i were vegan rather than an omnivore, i could spend weeks trying things. i might pursue a couple - after all, in my "mini-prepper" stockpiling mania with covid lockdown, i have a supply of both canned chick peas and a few bags of dried that I can pressure cook and create my own.