is it normal to feel obese when i’m not?

i’m 5 foot 5 or 5 foot 6 and i’m 152lbs and i still feel really fat and obese. i’ve lost 14lbs so far and i still have about 35lbs to lose.

any thoughts on this? maybe it’s because most of my weight is in my stomach so it looks worse than it actually is

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss. I think it can take time for our brain to catch up with what's in the mirror. Take pictures of your progress, and keep up your great work.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    I’m with you. I’m the same height (5’5”) my highest weight 145. I’m currently 126.
    Even though I’m at or close to my goal weight, I still feel rolls and jiggles.
    I’m 52 and my husband of 28 years continues to reinforce that I look great, but sometimes I just feel like I’m heavy. I attribute this to my mother being morbidly obese when I was growing up. I know it is in my head, but still want to lose 5 pounds. Ideally lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle. I do resistance training and eat 1500 ish cal a day.
    I think we all need to feel comfortable in our own skin and love ourselves. Just like nutrition and exercise, this self love is a skill we have to learn. And just like nutrition and exercise, we have good days and better days with self love. (You see what I did there? Good and better versus good and bad. I don’t believe in bad days.)
    Remember we are all works in progress and we are taking care of ourselves from the inside out to make progression nor perfection.
    14 pounds is a great weight loss. Congratulations on that progress!!
    Take care
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I used to feel the same. I’m 5’ 4” and 151lbs and I have most of my fat in my thighs and arms and I used to feel so obese. I wanted to lose 40 lbs and be really skinny. Now I’ve just decided to get down to 138 lbs and see how I feel. I’ve given myself until the end of the year to get to 138 lbs. It’s all about changing your mindset. I realised how slim I actually am and according to my grandma I look ill (which is a good thing because it means that I’ve lost weight even if it doesn’t sound nice!).
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    No. It is not.

If you're borderline normal/overweight (same as me) you are not obese and to think you are or tell yourself that is a dangerous road for both your emotional/mental health and possibly physical health if you take drastic actions.

Just try to actively be honest with yourself and remind yourself of facts rather than feelings.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It’s normal to not have an accurate perception of ones body. Take progress pics so you can see the changes. Just focus on small, consistent steps.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    i’m 5 foot 5 or 5 foot 6 and i’m 152lbs and i still feel really fat and obese. i’ve lost 14lbs so far and i still have about 35lbs to lose.

any thoughts on this? maybe it’s because most of my weight is in my stomach so it looks worse than it actually is

I wouldn’t say “normal,” but I would say “common.” I think most of us have unrealistic expectations of how we’re supposed to look and that can result in us feeling bad about ourselves.

Be proud of yourself and the fact that you’re becoming healthier. I also focus on NSV (Non-Scale Victories). I strive towards improved cardio fitness (longer runs, more intense intervals, improved cardio score on Fitbit), new yoga poses, and/or lifting heavier weights with more reps. 💗
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    edited August 2020
    Mostly it’s toning needed. You’re at your weight but you feel rolls. Check your body scale’s fat percentage. If it’s 32%, you need to start working out. It should be between 25% and 31% for an average female. Athletic females lowest percentage is 14%.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    For most of us who have dealt with weight issues, self-image issues, self-esteem issues, it is normal to continue to doubt our efforts, and to continue to see ourselves heavier than we are.
    You're not obese, AT ALL. It may take your mind a while to catch up with what your body looks like, especially if you spent many years overweight. So be patient with yourself. Look for positive reinforcements and repeat them to yourself often, our minds eventually believe what we constantly repeat to it. Mediate. Be kind to yourself.
    But beware of body dysmorphic disorder, if your thoughts are constant, if your life is affected by this 'mood' (meaning you don't go out because you're embarrassed, you feel depressed about your weight), then please look for support.
    Hang in there, darling!!