Evening Snacking Problem

Options
Hello, I am noticing a trend in my eating over the past few weeks, I am eating well during the day and then at 7 o'clock at night I find myself wandering around in the kitchen looking for a snack. This is causing me to either go over my calorie goal or bump right up to the amount I want to stay at so I am not getting the deficit I want. Does anyone have experience with this?

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots of people run into this problem and have many suggestions, including:

Save calories for a night snack
    Have a hot drink like coffee or tea (decaf if that's an issue) and sugarless gum
    Plan an activity, like taking a walk or doing something with your hands
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    or have a number of very low calorie snacks ready to eat at any time.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me! I try to eat a substantial dinner so I can acknowledge it isn’t real hunger, Or if I am hungry, remind myself that it’s okay to be hungry. For me, an evening snacking is a habit. Once I eat something, I want something else, so it is better not to start.

Manu members on MFP save calories and plan for an evening snack. As someone who struggles with binge eating, I have to go with the above strategy.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have been saving enough calories that I usually end supper with 2 oz. of mixed nuts eaten slowly like a snack. This lets me know I'm done eating. On a day like yesterday, when I didn't save enough for nuts, I find lots of seltzer water, sugar free cough drops and a hand-craft to keep me busy while watching TV help.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yes. Took a lot of mental struggle to kick it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple things. I used to snack mindlessly in front of the TV. This is a habit I had to break. It's easier if you keep your hands busy.

I agree with other posters, save calories for a snack. Then pick the snack you've been craving. I think single portion packs are helpful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but my evening cravings got more manageable when I started eating a solid, nutritious breakfast with plenty of protein, then adequate protein through the day. It's not universal, but may be worth a try.

Agree with others that boredom or habit are factors, but I'd observe that cravings can be partly related to fatigue. We're going to be more tired by evening, usually. Bodies seek energy (food) when energy depleted.

Some things that can increase fatigue (so affect cravings) are poor sleep, unmanaged high stress, sub-ideal nutrition, over-exercise for current fitness level, under-hydration, too-extreme calorie deficit. So, an honest look at those things, and improving them if you can, may also help.
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would save some calories to have an afternoon/late evening snack. My eating schedule usually goes like this: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, protein shake, dinner, and sometimes a snack before bed. Snacks can be fruit, vegetables, coffee, tea, nuts, crackers, healthy chips, protein/granola bars, etc. It sounds like a lot, but its about 1,750 calories.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Heidi, take the wheel. I'm here to report that Heidi knows the way. I just lurve this woman's ways. <3
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yes, in fact sometimes I have gotten up in the middle of the night to eat. Protein helps though. Heavy protein dinner and yogurt snack. Yogurt and I need to break up though....darn acne!
  • tnovak5
    tnovak5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you I really appreciate everyone's support thank you for your help and insight!
  • beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Sounds crazy, but my evening cravings got more manageable when I started eating a solid, nutritious breakfast with plenty of protein, then adequate protein through the day. It's not universal, but may be worth a try.

Agree with others that boredom or habit are factors, but I'd observe that cravings can be partly related to fatigue. We're going to be more tired by evening, usually. Bodies seek energy (food) when energy depleted.

Some things that can increase fatigue (so affect cravings) are poor sleep, unmanaged high stress, sub-ideal nutrition, over-exercise for current fitness level, under-hydration, too-extreme calorie deficit. So, an honest look at those things, and improving them if you can, may also help.

@AnnPT77 - my cyber Auntie who has been an amazing help in my maintenance journey! Would you please share an example of your solid breakfast(s)? If possible, please include macros and calories.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I end every evening with a hot drink (lowers my appetite) followed by a bowl of Greek yogurt with instant pudding mix. Yummy, protein-ful, satisfies my tummy, and signals end of the eating day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    beulah81 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

@AnnPT77 - my cyber Auntie who has been an amazing help in my maintenance journey! Would you please share an example of your solid breakfast(s)? If possible, please include macros and calories.

Keep in mind that I'm in maintenance when I answer, OK? This will be too many calories for many people. I ate kind of the same general things while losing, but with some minor tweaks for lower calories, though. I'm also vegetarian, BTW.

In the time of pandemic, I'm not working out early-ish in my AM, so I like a really big breakfast. (For me, usually a light lunch, and a bigger (vegetable-heavy) dinner follow, but I'm not religious about any of that.)

8pbik0tmkcva.png

Usually, I have 2 x the coffee & skim milk (which is heated, and in the coffee). For some reason, the oatmeal amount doesn't display. It's 30g.

If I recall correctly, while losing I skipped the hemp/flax seeds, used a 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread instead of the molasses, and maybe used a little less oatmeal and/or walnuts. Can't totally recall.

Not everyone finds oatmeal filling, but I generally do, especially with the protein/fat add-ons shown. It'll hold me nearly all day, if needed, under common circumstances.

If I'm working out soon after eating breakfast, I'd usually have something like an Ezekiel pita, peanut butter, hot skim milk with vanilla, and some kefir. That runs 48.3g carbs, 18.1g fats, 28.2g protein, 452 calories.

I think everyone needs to experiment to see what works for them, this is just me, but I HTH!
  • beulah81
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thank you so much for taking the time to type this out and the image is very helpful! 💐🤗 I've read several posts where you mention your breakfast oats and how they are satiating for you. I was curious what you added. I will experiment with my oatmeal concoction to make it more satiating for me.
  • beulah81
    Options
    OP, like many others I recommend budgeting for an after dinner snack you can enjoy without guilt. I did it in the loss phase and now in maintenance.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Could you have dinner a bit later, or try to make it a bit bigger?

I find having a smaller lunch, and including lots of veg at dinner helps stave it off.
    That and tea through the evening, a lot of tea!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I personally eat up to 11pm at night. It's still all about total calories. But unlike Ann I'm not a breakfast eater. I usually won't eat until at the very earliest 11am.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png