Weight gain despite trying to lose weight - please help!

Options
I feel extremely frustrated. Another week, another lb up. I cannot seem to lose weight anymore and I'm constantly hungry and tired. I just don't understand why I'm still gaining weight and look absolutely massive - this is exactly what happened the last time I was losing weight. Last time I lost around 60 lbs, then began gaining. Then I gave up altogether.

I'm 5'1 and re-started calorie counting in July 2019 weighing in at 142 lbs. I was eating less (on average under 1200 calories, some months averaging 1000, including a day off every month which I also tracked). I didn't exercise at all but as long as I counted every calorie I lost around 2 lbs a month. Not a huge amount but enough for me to carry on.

In April I started exercising. I started with just 20-30 minutes 3-6 days a week, keeping my calories the same and somehow I gained 0.5 lb instead of losing that month. By May I was doing around 2 hours+ 5-6 days a week. This made me extremely hungry and I increased my calories. Last month I averaged 1550 calories per day and gained 1.5 lbs. This month I'm averaging around 1350 and again gained weight. I've cut back on the exercise as it was too difficult to continue with and now I'm doing 30-minutes 4-5 days a week, plus a daily walk.

I also look much bigger. Clothes are tighter and earlier today I measured myself and I have gained a whopping 5 inches on my stomach and 2 inches across my navel and hips. I actually look very pregnant. If I were to wear anything tight-fitted I could pass for a woman who is 9-months pregnant.

Are my maintenance calories really so low? I weigh out everything with a food scale and have done for years now, I'm very strict with making sure I only eat food made by myself so I can calculate calories etc. I can't help but feel the whole thing is pointless. Over a year I've only lost 24 lbs and now seem to be gaining it all back. Can anyone please help me figure out what I should do?

Replies

• sam33a
    sam33a Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You never should have been averaging 1000 calories a day. That’s so unhealthy. 1200 minimum is what your body needs to function.

But also at your height/weight 1500 should be pretty close to your maintenance calories. I’m 5’0” and 139 lbs and my maintenance calories are 1560. I eat between 1200-1300 calories on non-exercise days and lose weight slowly but consistently. It makes no sense that you would truly only be eating 1000 calories a day and lose 2 lbs in a month. Last month I lost almost 6 lbs eating more than you and I’m shorter.

Are you weighing (not measuring) all of your food? Do you carefully log everything? If you’re truly counting every calorie and using a food scale then I’d go see a doctor.

I agree, averaging 1000 calories wasn't enough but as is clear, I cannot seem to lose weight on higher amounts and at the time I was feeling okay eating lower - I wasn't exercising at all back then. I'm 5'1 and currently 118 lbs but I reckon I have a much higher body fat % than most people. I'd say it's around 35% at least.

Yes, I weigh out my food to the gram, I don't even take a bite of anything that I haven't weighed, I'm obsessive about it. My diet isn't great but I do stick to my calories. As for going to a doctor, around 2 years ago, I had my bloodwork done and there was nothing at all wrong medically then - although I had the same problem back then. I'm tempted to return to lower calories again as I can't face re-gaining all the weight back again.
  • sam33a
    Options
    Okay, first question: are you sure you aren’t pregnant? Next, are you sure there’s not another medical issue such as Cushing’s or a big ovarian cyst causing you to gain inches around your waist?

Once those two possibilities are eliminated I would point out that a new exercise routine can cause temporary water weight gain, sometimes to the time of several pounds. But you shouldn’t really be gaining inches around the waist from exercise. Waists are tricky to measure, though, and many people convinced that they “look pregnant” turn out to be pushing their stomachs out when measuring, which is something even fit people can do. I feel like there has to be a certain amount of exaggeration and self-image distortion in your story since 5 inches does not make a woman look 9 months pregnant.

Definitely not pregnant. I do look quite bloated but before I would get bloated in the evenings or at least after breakfast, now it's constant. I look huge. I have a lot of fat around my middle anyway but it's just looking far worse lately. My clothes as well are so much tighter so it isn't just me measuring incorrectly. I can only think the extra calories have just made me gain even more fat.

As for exaggerating how large I look, if only I were! Prior to this new weight gain, I already had a lot of stomach fat. My stomach really looks like it doesn't belong with the rest of me.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't make any specific recommendations, but I looked at your diary and two things jumped out at me. You seem to be low in protein and high in carbs. I don't know whether switching some of your carb calories to protein would help you lose weight, but I've heard a lot of people say that it does. I know I lose best if my calories are spread roughly 1/3 between healthy fat, carbs, and protein. The other thing I noticed is that your diet is incredibly low in sodium. Has a doctor recommended that you eat very little of it? It's definitely not good for you in high amounts, but my understanding is that too little of it can also cause health issues.

Again, I'm not recommending any specific changes, just pointing out 2 things about your diet that stood out to me.
  • Lolana1822
    Lolana1822 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sam33a wrote: »
    Okay, first question: are you sure you aren’t pregnant? Next, are you sure there’s not another medical issue such as Cushing’s or a big ovarian cyst causing you to gain inches around your waist?

Once those two possibilities are eliminated I would point out that a new exercise routine can cause temporary water weight gain, sometimes to the time of several pounds. But you shouldn’t really be gaining inches around the waist from exercise. Waists are tricky to measure, though, and many people convinced that they “look pregnant” turn out to be pushing their stomachs out when measuring, which is something even fit people can do. I feel like there has to be a certain amount of exaggeration and self-image distortion in your story since 5 inches does not make a woman look 9 months pregnant.

Definitely not pregnant. I do look quite bloated but before I would get bloated in the evenings or at least after breakfast, now it's constant. I look huge. I have a lot of fat around my middle anyway but it's just looking far worse lately. My clothes as well are so much tighter so it isn't just me measuring incorrectly. I can only think the extra calories have just made me gain even more fat.

As for exaggerating how large I look, if only I were! Prior to this new weight gain, I already had a lot of stomach fat. My stomach really looks like it doesn't belong with the rest of me.

If you're constantly looking really bloated and almost pregnant, take a pregnancy test or two (no matter how sure you are that you're not pregnant) and see a doctor. If it's not a pregnancy, either some foods makes you bloat (problem with carbs, intolerances etc.) or there's something more serious at work, like a cyst. Because there's no way there's not a medical reason you're gaining if you're really tracking every single bite. Even if it might turn out to be a harmless reason, it doesn't hurt to get checked.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is that you’re over-estimating the calories from exercise. What are you using to track those? Also, what portion are you eating back? Also that one day a month which I assume is some kind of cheat day, that’s another source of error. What happens that day?
  • sam33a
    Options
    Another possibility is that you’re over-estimating the calories from exercise. What are you using to track those? Also, what portion are you eating back? Also that one day a month which I assume is some kind of cheat day, that’s another source of error. What happens that day?

I don't eat back exercise calories. That's why I increased my calories from 1200 to take into account exercise calories. I also track my cheat day. That's what I mean by average per month - that includes my cheat day calories which are usually around 3000.
  • sam33a
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    So I haven't read through all the posts so apologies if I've missed something but am I getting this math right?
    You are 5'1" and started losing weight last year. You've lost 24 lbs (starting to gain some back) which puts you in and around 118 lbs? That puts you at a BMI of 22.5 which is dead centre of your healthy weight range.
    I dont know how old you are, but at 5'1" and 118 lbs, your BMR is somewhere between like 1300 cal and 1500 cal? So ya, if you are eating 1000 calories a day, that would put you at about .5 lbs per week loss, or 2 lbs a month. That sound right on target actually.

I was also under the impression that the 1200 minimum is a general benchmark of lowest minimum calories, and that some people whos stats are outside the 'average' (ie: shorter, or older) could eat slightly less and still receive the appropriate nutrition. I'm not an expert on this part of course but also logic tells me that if 1200 calories is potentially enough basic fuel and nutrition for a much taller person who has a much higher BMR, then a far shorter person could need less slightly less fuel and still have enough nutrients.

I have no idea what might be changing your measurements so drastically, so maybe talk to a doctor about that part. Or maybe its bloat caused by inflammation or food sensitivities?

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'm short and have a very small frame so it's inevitable that I need fewer calories than others. However, the last time I lost weight I managed to lose a fair bit of it eating around 1300-1350 calories per day, without exercise. Again, I lost around 2 lbs a month - although I was a lot larger then. I've gone up from 115 lbs though and don't think I've eaten that much that I should gain, perhaps maintain, but not enough to gain weight. Especially factoring in exercise.

As for my measurements increasing, I think I'm just very bloated and have been for many weeks now. Today, thankfully, I look less bloated than I was.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    sam33a wrote: »
    jelleigh wrote: »
    So I haven't read through all the posts so apologies if I've missed something but am I getting this math right?
    You are 5'1" and started losing weight last year. You've lost 24 lbs (starting to gain some back) which puts you in and around 118 lbs? That puts you at a BMI of 22.5 which is dead centre of your healthy weight range.
    I dont know how old you are, but at 5'1" and 118 lbs, your BMR is somewhere between like 1300 cal and 1500 cal? So ya, if you are eating 1000 calories a day, that would put you at about .5 lbs per week loss, or 2 lbs a month. That sound right on target actually.

I was also under the impression that the 1200 minimum is a general benchmark of lowest minimum calories, and that some people whos stats are outside the 'average' (ie: shorter, or older) could eat slightly less and still receive the appropriate nutrition. I'm not an expert on this part of course but also logic tells me that if 1200 calories is potentially enough basic fuel and nutrition for a much taller person who has a much higher BMR, then a far shorter person could need less slightly less fuel and still have enough nutrients.

I have no idea what might be changing your measurements so drastically, so maybe talk to a doctor about that part. Or maybe its bloat caused by inflammation or food sensitivities?

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'm short and have a very small frame so it's inevitable that I need fewer calories than others. However, the last time I lost weight I managed to lose a fair bit of it eating around 1300-1350 calories per day, without exercise. Again, I lost around 2 lbs a month - although I was a lot larger then. I've gone up from 115 lbs though and don't think I've eaten that much that I should gain, perhaps maintain, but not enough to gain weight. Especially factoring in exercise.

As for my measurements increasing, I think I'm just very bloated and have been for many weeks now. Today, thankfully, I look less bloated than I was.

Well thats good news! I was also going to say that maybe you are maintaining at a good level and the small fluctuations you are seeing are just your body adjusting. I think typically when people switch to maintenance, they see things increase by a few lbs, maybe due to water retention or whatever? I suppose if the trends continue, then maybe re-evaluate, but maybe you are just leveling out. It takes some time to find the 'sweet spot' of maintenance.
    And if you've been stressing your body for awhile, you could be having issues with cortisol levels. Maybe a diet break would be a good idea? Just eat at maintenance for a few months and try to de-stress? keep active in a happy way?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I think the person above who suggested you are carb heavy and protein light is on the right track. When I looked at your food log you had a high number of calories compared to the days minimal under half the recommended amount of protein for the day. A recent article in the New Scientist said our need for protein is dominant, they spoke of 5 appetites the first was protein. In order to keep your muscles in good shape you should not skimp on protein, neither should you over do it, you do seem to be skimping rather at the moment.

I know fruit is good for vitamins etc and the sugar contained within the fruit is much more easily digested because it comes along with its fibre than a teaspoon of sugar for instance. I wonder if you could use more vegetables rather than as much fruit to achieve your vitamin and mineral needs, your sugar number does seem rather high.

I would like to congratulate you on your present BMI. I wonder if you might have totally changed your diet from how you were eating before you lost your 20+lb, this was not mean achievement given your height. If you have totally changed the way you eat you may inadvertently activated a dietary intolerance, these can cause bloating. There can be many causes for bloating, even the different stages in your cycle, so possibly a conversation with your doctor could throw light on this issue.
  • sam33a
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I think the person above who suggested you are carb heavy and protein light is on the right track. When I looked at your food log you had a high number of calories compared to the days minimal under half the recommended amount of protein for the day. A recent article in the New Scientist said our need for protein is dominant, they spoke of 5 appetites the first was protein. In order to keep your muscles in good shape you should not skimp on protein, neither should you over do it, you do seem to be skimping rather at the moment.

I know fruit is good for vitamins etc and the sugar contained within the fruit is much more easily digested because it comes along with its fibre than a teaspoon of sugar for instance. I wonder if you could use more vegetables rather than as much fruit to achieve your vitamin and mineral needs, your sugar number does seem rather high.

I would like to congratulate you on your present BMI. I wonder if you might have totally changed your diet from how you were eating before you lost your 20+lb, this was not mean achievement given your height. If you have totally changed the way you eat you may inadvertently activated a dietary intolerance, these can cause bloating. There can be many causes for bloating, even the different stages in your cycle, so possibly a conversation with your doctor could throw light on this issue.

You're right, my protein is far too low. I have tried to increase protein but that's something I really struggle with. I just eat what I want and make sure I count every calorie. It seems most of the food I like is carb-heavy and has little protein. It's something I'm very aware of and there have been weeks over the course of the last year where I have really tried to increase my protein, limit processed food and carbs but I usually give up quickly as I find it difficult. As for having too much fruit, I'm okay with that as it's still good food and I wouldn't want to limit it.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I've looked again at your food diary. I get the impression you do not like meat, you can take fish which could put you in the picarian corner. So increasing fish could be an option.

I don't recommend dairy based protein powders because they are often casein based and this can be a cause of intolerance. Taking into consideration what I think may be your natural preferences. I wonder if a vegan protein powder, made from several plant form proteins, might be helpful to you. I know of one I could recommend only it may not be available where you are. There are others, they can come in several flavours, I've seen berry, vanilla, chocolate, banana evens strawberry. The recommendation is they are made up with rice, almond or soy milk but it can equally be made up with water, its thinner but its a pleasant drink to me. A plain one could be made into a smoothie with one, even two of your fruits. It would cost some calories but if you can achieve 20g of protein from a 30 gram serving, suggested 300ml of liquid you are well on your way to bringing up your daily protein needs. I chose mine to to avoid casein it also gives the different forms of protein it has in a serving..

I've been reading how a vegan lifestyle can be deficient in essential B vitamins, you may benefit from supplementing them they also come in vegetarian/vegan preparations.

Wishing you all the very best and hope you can find a way with your preferences to increase you protein levels.

Take great care of yourself.