Gastric band v gastric bypass - your thoughts

Options

Replies

• Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Neither... It's just un-natural...and wrong...I'm sorry :frown: I do however wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you chose to do!
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't like the sound of it - I side with the "neither" crowd. I often feel like surgery is an easy out for weight loss, instead of putting the time and effort into really changing your habits and figuring out what psychological triggers are making you overeat.

Habits are not bought, there is no shortcut.
  • deviltamer
    Options
    not everyone can loose eight with just changing their eating and excersising ome have medical problems that prevent that and bypass can help with that
  • mrsdollox
    Options
    thats exactly why i want this - to kick start my weightloss.

i get so far and then i just sabotage my own efforts. ive had years and years of councilling, CBT, etc and everyone has come to the conclusion that i am just addicted to eating. wish i was addicted to eating carrots or lettuce! :/ i'm not taking this lightly, this is really harrowing for me. i really really want to do it on my own. i manage a couple of days and then i fall off. ive just come back from a 5 mile walk which i'm trying to do 3 times a week. cant walk fast as i have a toddler but i'm out walking slowly for 3 hours every other day. i feel like i'm fighting a losing battle. blah blah blah. it's not costing me anything. its being done on the NHS which yes you can say is a waste of money when it could be spent on more serious operations but i dont make the rules. my head is awash with many thoughts.
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Also I lost 22pounds in 4 weeks, eating well and being active. When people ask me how I did it, they look sooo disapointed when I tell them...eating well and being active. What did they want me to say? I eat maccers and don't excercise.... You can do it without risking your life or your health and well being!
  • kaffmc
    Options
    I am also considering surgery and yes there are risks but you could get a tooth out and have problems, its nice to have everyones opinions but at the end of the day we are the ones to make the decision x x x
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of any elective MAJOR surgery. I don't want to be mean, just my opinion. Just because it has become somewhat routine, does not mean that it should be taken lightly or even semi-lightly.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    There are ppl on this site that started off bigger then you are and I am just against these types of surgery because I have had neighbor who past away from getting weight lost surgery and I have seen people put the weight back on after having surgery its not magic The cure to the problem is eating healthy and working out
  • kaffmc
    Options
    Where we live we have to have a 2 year course to teach us about food, nutrition, exercise etc etc and we have learnt a lot, they do not just take you in a operate, all health issues and your past is looked at too. I am also having this done on the NHS as i also live in the UK. If i had the money i would have just gone and had it done but this way i am learning all the things i will need to know before and after the op....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at 227 you would even be a candidate unless your are quite short. I thought you had to be a minimum of 100 lbs overweight to be considered for the surgeries.

I can't offer much advice. I've only know one person that had either surgery. He had a bypass and died of complications. I realize that there are many people who have had successful surgeries, but still I can't say I'm a fan of the procedure.
  • mrsdollox
    Options
    i'm 5'2 so...yeah.....very wide for my height! lol
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options

i get so far and then i just sabotage my own efforts. ive had years and years of councilling, CBT, etc and everyone has come to the conclusion that i am just addicted to eating. wish i was addicted to eating carrots or lettuce! :/ i'm not taking this lightly, this is really harrowing for me. i really really want to do it on my own. i manage a couple of days and then i fall off. ive just come back from a 5 mile walk which i'm trying to do 3 times a week. cant walk fast as i have a toddler but i'm out walking slowly for 3 hours every other day. i feel like i'm fighting a losing battle. blah blah blah. it's not costing me anything. its being done on the NHS which yes you can say is a waste of money when it could be spent on more serious operations but i dont make the rules. my head is awash with many thoughts.

I am not totally against the surgeries, because some people truly cannot lose it on their own. But, it worries me when you say you do good for couple of days and then you fall off. There is no falling off if you have the surgery or else you will be very sick. Keep with your walks, my best investment was a very used jogging stroller. If you are preparing your families meals then you can control what you are eating. It's hard work, but it is very much worth it.
    Also, surgery may sometimes be a "quick fix" but it isn't permanent. Even after you lose a lot of weight, you could still gain it back (and maybe more.)

Best of luck to you and I hope that you make the best decision for yourself :)
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well everyone here has given you the most valuable information and that is if your not at 400 or 500 pounds then you dont need it. I was at one point wanting to do the same thing, i kept researching and talked to several ladies that had had both of the surgeries and both had wonderful affects. But, I thought that I would try one more program before I made the final decision.

I started Jenny Craig in January and have been totally happy with them, I have lost so far 42 pounds and over 22 inches and have learned so much! Not just on how to loose the weight but on what is the most important way of doing so. Nutrition...... I have learned that my food choices were not mostly bad but some, and well I learned that I am a food addict. So, from here I have learned portion control and that I can enjoy my food without having to eat as much as my husband! LOL Oh and I can still have my cake too! hehe

You can do this if your really ready. Try a new program that has a councelor and portion control, you will be sooo happy you did and so will your pocket book! Good luck!
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Neither. I would rather the NHS pay for a personal trainer and dietician to work with you intensively for a year than put someone through what is very major surgery.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am also considering surgery and yes there are risks but you could get a tooth out and have problems, its nice to have everyones opinions but at the end of the day we are the ones to make the decision x x x

Would you make the same decision if you had to pay for it yourself?
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Please forgive me for answer, which you won't like!!

Neither!! U don't need surgery, you need desire, motivation, and support!!! Sorry but that's what I thunk!!!

I agree with this. I started out at 220, and wasn't even considering surgery, never in my wildest dreams did I consider myself big enough for that option. Weight Watchers (eating less and moving more) is what worked for me.

I do wish you luck in this!
  • derbylea
    Options
    Hi,
    yesterday i went to a seminar to decide if i wanted to opt for a bypass or a band. ive been under the hospital on a programme for this for the last 6 months and originally i wanted a bypass but the risks are much higher so it seems.
    both are done laparoscoply.
    i was far from the hugest person there. i weigh 227 pounds at present.
    battled with my weight my entire life and never get very far.
    after several years ive come to the conclusion that i need a helping hand. not an easy answer, just some assistance to help my achieve some serious weightloss or i WILL only get fatter. i just know it.
    i'm 33, have 4 young kids. the eldest is 8. no health complications and i dont smoke.. bloody love vodka tho! :D
    so i was basically wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences on this topic??
    My mom had the gastric bypass. At the time she was over 300 pounds, in her 50's and in very poor health (all weight related). It worked beautifully. Luckily no complications. She had it over 7 years ago. I will say though it was not a miracle cure all. She did lose over 100 pounds but she is still battling her weight to this day. One thing her dr. made her do that I thought was great was walk. She walked two miles everyday, in the beginning she could hardly walk at all but she finally made two miles and has done it nearly every day since.
  • mrsdollox
    Options
    would i consider it if i had to pay for it? - if i could afford it i think i'd have had it done without a second thought for my health long ago nd yes it would be brilliant if the nhs spent all that money in that way instead. now thats an idea!!!!
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    my thoughts excatly!! yes it is a personal choice, but its not a "super cure" you still need to be extremely dilligent in watching what you eat. maybe even a bit more with the surgery because you will only have limited space to try to get all the nutrients your body needs. i know several people who have had it done, but are no longer able to eat pork or beef. i am much heavier than you, but about 75 pounds, and thru this program and another before ir, i have lost 70 pounds and never gained a bit back in 4 years.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I feel like you're too quick to give excuses about why you can't lose weight. You have a toddler? Get one of those buggies where you can push them around. Then you not only can move faster, but you get the added exercise benefit of pushing them. You have to open yourself up to the possibilities of change.

There is a reason you're addicted to eating. There is a reason for every addiction; it is all a matter of discovering that reason, or coming to terms with your own reason.

For many people, it's simply an effort to seek pleasure. We don't find enough happiness and fulfillment in some aspect of our own lives, so we substitute it with massive amounts of instant gratification (food). This is the same for drug users – the feeling of being high is just simply better than living in one’s own reality.

If you're in the UK, I would suggest a possible visit to the Academy for Wellbeing - http://www.academy4wellbeing.com