Low Carb Snacks while Biking

Options
I eat low carb, have done so for about 20 months and it works for me very well. I have been riding my bicycle a lot this spring (after losing gym access due to CV19). This summer I have progressed to doing some longer rides (50-70 km) I am riding in a very hilly rural area, some paved roads, some gravel. I can’t continue to ride even greater distances without stopping for some type of a snack. Any suggestions for low carb snacks I can carry in a bag on my bike?

(please no comments being critical of low carb way of eating, I am not interested in that debate!)

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Nuts of any kind.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Nuts, pepperoni stick, baybell cheese wheel, jerky
    maybe the squeeze packs of nut butters pre trip? Thinking to keep you fuller.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    I might add that if you are actively burning calories, as in long rides biking, eating carbs (in balance with calorie burn) will not drop you out of ketosis and may make your ride much more pleasurable.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    I agree with @sijomial that you can actually get into danger when your glycogen is depleted.

Been there a few times. Once, quite a while ago, I was riding a very familiar ~30 mile ride after work and about half way through I suddenly didn't know where I was. It was like waking up from a dream while riding my bike. I looked all around and saw nothing familiar. I just kept riding along until I saw a soda machine and downed a ginger ale (luckily, I had the change). Over the next few minutes, my brain turned its higher-level functions back on. Apparently, actually riding the bike doesn't take much brain power!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I found the convenience store tube of honey roasted peanuts rested well on stomach and I got benefit of the carbs - when I was doing Zone diet.
    Wrapped the upper part of pack around my finger that kept it held but out of way, and could stretch a pack through about 40-60 min of time with a mouthful and thorough chewing, before gulp of water.

Long rides they would not melt in back pocket, or seat bag.

Man, haven't had those in ages and getting hungry now.

Ditto comments that if too high fat or protein digestion is really bad and the sufferfest, ugh.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Gummi Bears
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MeganD1704. I am far from an elite athlete, I am not doing endurance type rides, I simply need a couple snack options for rides in the 75-100 km range every now and then. I do not need to increase my carbs, my body is well adjusted to this way of eating and I listen closely to it :)
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    @amckholmes np, best of luck! Hope you can find some pocket friendly options lol!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @amckholmes : Hey, if it works for you, it works for you! Lots of low-carb snack options that travel well, as noted.

I've never made it further than about 50km without eating something. Sometimes I've used a sports product (usually "Gu") and sometimes I've carried a banana (which is much better for you). In between the two extremes (processed vs. natural) are Fig Newtons, which I've eaten a lot during endurance activities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I agree with @sijomial that you can actually get into danger when your glycogen is depleted.

Been there a few times. Once, quite a while ago, I was riding a very familiar ~30 mile ride after work and about half way through I suddenly didn't know where I was. It was like waking up from a dream while riding my bike. I looked all around and saw nothing familiar. I just kept riding along until I saw a soda machine and downed a ginger ale (luckily, I had the change). Over the next few minutes, my brain turned its higher-level functions back on. Apparently, actually riding the bike doesn't take much brain power!

Yes, I had a scary episode like this once at the end of a (obviously under-fueled) long run. I knew I wanted to get home, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it. Fortunately, it all worked out but it is amazing how poorly your brain operates in that state.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    amckholmes wrote: »
    Thank you @MeganD1704. I am far from an elite athlete, I am not doing endurance type rides, I simply need a couple snack options for rides in the 75-100 km range every now and then. I do not need to increase my carbs, my body is well adjusted to this way of eating and I listen closely to it :)

Just so you have proper perspective on that ride - that distance is an endurance type ride. Even though you must be going slower - still endurance.

I'll be curious what you find rests well on the 100K, please report back how it goes!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Yes, I had a scary episode like this once at the end of a (obviously under-fueled) long run. I knew I wanted to get home, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it. Fortunately, it all worked out but it is amazing how poorly your brain operates in that state.

I had the same instinct - very much like a drunk who just wants to get home but not thinking straight and just about as clumsy.
    Rode past about a dozen shops where I could have stopped and bought some sugary snacks or drinks to recover even though on some level I knew what had happened (no I didn't suddenly get two flat tyres, a headwind didn't spring up, flat roads didn't turn to hills....)

Wish a bunch of experienced cyclists had forewarned me rather than having to learn from my own mistake.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Since we are sharing bonking stories.. I had a 50 mile event ride early on in my road cycling in which I kept meaning to grab a snack when stuck at a traffic light... Caught every green light for 40-something miles. Sort of coasted the last few miles to the parking lot, hit the brakes at the car, could not figure out how to unclip my foot, and then proceded to flop over sideways on my bike in front of my car in the crowded parking lot.

I've seen people in way, way scarier shape though... Their brain sort of shuts down and they just slowly continue forward oblivious to everything, completely out of it.

If you don't mind volume (like if you carry a back pack), maybe pork rinds (light weight but take up volume). 80 cal/half ounce. (a favorite post ride snack of mine) .. (Very high carb clif bars and fruit snacks accompany before and during).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @ritzvin : Pork rinds are the ultimate low-carb junk food!

I used to love PopTarts for a long ride. Slip so easily in your jersey pocket and never go bad.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Took a long ride today, in addition to refilling my water bottle many times, I had two all natural pepperoni sticks and 45 grams of really great cheddar cheese while sitting on a bench overlooking the water. Felt great during the ride and after.

I do eat pork rinds, when it cools down and the humidity drops I may start wearing a backpack, that would make pork rinds possible.

Thank you to those who offered me low carb suggestions.