Help...plan me a healthy high calorie day

Options
i am seriously struggling to get my calorie intake to my suggested level of 1460, now your all probably thinking what!, my problem is when i excercise i burn about 1000 cals so i bearly net 400 cals, i obviously don't want to eat unhelathy cals to make up the difference i am really stuck as to what to eat to make the difference up, i know there is some debate over eating your excercise cals back, but i need to try something as i have hit the wall and have ground to a halt weight loss wise. i have recently upped my training prgramme to include 45 mins cardio 5 times a week, along with upper body weights one day and legs and abs the next. i know i am not eating enough but like i say i really don't know what to eat, i already have things like pasta, rice, fruit, veg, fish, lean meat in the plan and still i can't get the count up.....help!!

Replies

• girlypop
    Options
    to add calories to your diet you could try a protein shake, if you have 2 a day it could easily be 800cals added in... If you don't like protein shakes or bars, nuts are really good for you and have tons of cals to help you eat all your calories!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Add in things like peanut butter, olive oil,(great on veggies or salad) nuts ,avocado..
  • jesshall281
    Options
    ok maybe you could have a jacket potato with cheese and beans with a side salad? that's should be high in calories, but good for you at the same time, or maybe a different topping like tuna mayonnaise or chicken mayo?
  • Emdog24
    Emdog24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One healthy high calorie food I'd suggested is definitely peanut butter - 2 tablespoons is 190 calories and it contains a lot of protein and the good kind of fat. Have some with peanut butter, add it to oatmeal, spread it one some toast, add to a smoothie, or just right out of the jar as a snack on its own! (c'mon, we've all done it :)

Also, any other nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews) can quickly rack up calories but again provide protein and fat and they're a good way if you want to get in a lot calories and not feel like you're taking in a massive amount of food.

Hope this helps!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Add nuts, avacados, olive oil, peanut butter -- all healthy and VERY calorie dense.
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    First, are you sure you are really burning that many calories? I think the guides we use are often overstated. But, even if they are, if you have stalled in losing, you probably need to eat more during the day, as you think.

Do you eat several small snacks in between meals? Nuts or a peanut butter sandwich, or some fruit with protein are good snacks. You could try a protein shake or bar, or one of the ensure drinks, to get more calories as well. Make sure you are drinking enough water too.

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    eat more fatty foods, bacon, eggs, steak etc. you should be getting at least .45g of fat per lb of bw
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would recommend nuts (almonds especially)_ a handful to tide you over as a snack has great nutrients.
    I have also found myself eating a packet of instant oatmeal ... lots of good nutrients (especially iron) that is helpful when I want something small (relatively) that will fill me up for a little while...
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Add nuts, beans, avocado, and healthy oils to your meals.
    For instance you can make yourself some chicken breast cooked in olive oil with salt, pepper, and some lemon juice. Have it with an avocado salsa (avocado,cilantro,onion, tomato, mango if your feeling adventurous) in a whole wheat tortilla.
    Finish it off with a protein shake smoothie. That meal should be high in calories but nutrious and delicious!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary, and to start with a 171 cals for breakfast is nowhere near enough. I dont know how anyone can not starve eating 30g of cereal in the morning!! i always have double portions!

Also, you dont need to eat 'low fat' options if you are doing that much exercise and burnign so many cals. i would reccommend choosing sausages that are at least 97% meat, instead of WW low fat ones. a bit of cheese or nuts are great snacks with lots of cals. and you can always just double up your portions of the healthy stuff!
  • burndust
    Options
    First, are you sure you are really burning that many calories? I think the guides we use are often overstated. But, even if they are, if you have stalled in losing, you probably need to eat more during the day, as you think.

Do you eat several small snacks in between meals? Nuts or a peanut butter sandwich, or some fruit with protein are good snacks. You could try a protein shake or bar, or one of the ensure drinks, to get more calories as well. Make sure you are drinking enough water too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies so far folks, i do include 30g of almonds daily, but will def try the peanut butter too, and give the protein shakes a go i think, with regards to the cals burned i can only go by what my HRM tells me which yesterday for example was 1079
  • fishboat
    fishboat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals and eat your largest meal at noon. Eat your smallest meal at supper time.:smile: