FitnessPal and Garmin COnnect

Options
Don7773
Don7773 Posts: 6 Member
Hey folks, I have been using Samsun Health for a while but they removed some of the features that I used. I am not switching to MyFitnessPal. So far I like it as it connects to Garmin Connect the software that I use for biking. I have a couple of hickups.

My Calories consumption (eating) goals does not seem to make it into Garmin Connect (Calorie in/out section). My Calorie intake does, but the goal remains at zero. I do not know how to change the Calorie Goal directly on Garmin Connect either. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Also on the on the Calorie in/out section, it does not seem to record anything for resting calories. I do not use a fitbit or anything like that. Could that be a reason? On MyFitnessPal, I did notice that you can have the resting calories estimated with a calculator, but that calculation does not appear to be data that gets saves to anything.

Any help on these two items would be appreciated.

D

Replies

• Don7773
    Options
    Just an update. My calorie consumption (eating) goals is not on my Garmin Connect. However, the resting calories is not being recorded. I have done some walking today and that is recorded in MyFitnessPal. It was recorded through Samsung Health, but it did not make it over to Garmin Connect. As a result both my rest and active calories in Garmin Connect are Zero. I know if I log a bike ride, Garmin Connect will record it and then send it to MyFitnessPal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do not try to follow 2 roads to the same destination.
    This apply to whatever tracker/MFP combo is being used.

MFP for food logging and goals.

Other, Garmin in this case, exercise only logging and goals.

Because even if you had a daily tracker that allowed that activity section to be filled in - Garmin's way of doing it does not actually work with what MFP is doing.

And it especially doesn't work when you are only getting workouts in there.

And even there - you are going to run into a problem that Garmin, Fitbit, ect are a replace-only system.

Meaning you have some base calories there either expected or from a daily tracker device, and you sync in a workout - it's going to replace the base calories already there with whatever the workout had as a total.

MFP though is an add-on system when no tracker sync is being done. Yes, they started on wrong foot and never corrected it.
    Meaning it had base calories already accounted for (BMR x 1.25, or 1.4, 1.6, 1.75) you to burn.
    That workout coming in added to those, it did not replace them.

If you have big long burns that are low calories (walking) - almost 1/2 the calories could be already accounted for and you are adding them again from the workout synced over.

So then do the math a few times and see if it's worth correcting the Garmin synced workout on MFP.
    Your workouts may be such this doesn't matter.
    It will NOT sync back to Garmin and change the original data that I've seen. Corrections on Garmin I know don't sync again to MFP.

My suggestion that will be a bit of work up front but soon can do in head.
    In order to use MFP correctly, and it's life lesson it's trying to teach regarding weight control.
    You do more, you eat more.
    You do less, you eat less.

Anyway, if Samsung Health has some data regarding your daily burns for typical days with no workouts - get an average of 14 days.
    Actually, keep an average going on non-workout days - since seasons and activity levels change and good to adjust.

Look at what MFP activity level is close to that daily burn.
    BMR (under MFP calcs) x 1.25 is sedentary or not very active.
    1.4 Lightly Active
    1.6 Active
    1.75 Very Active.

Pick that level.

Think about your workouts for time spent - even hour, 15 min increments, 30 min?
    Now take that daily burn MFP is estimating, and divide by 24 for per hr, 1440 for per min, 96 per 15 min. Whatever you feel like dealing with. I get exact.
    You can round that figure for easy math in your head. I use spreadsheet.

Now whenever a workout syncs over from Garmin, take the time and round to whatever block of time you used, do the math, and subtract that and correct the entry on MFP to be lower.

Done.

Now your base daily activity burn on MFP matches what you really do.
    Any workouts are being added for what happened above and beyond what was already accounted for.

(and no, if you had Garmin activity tracker none of this would need to be done)
  • Don7773
    Options
    Are you suggesting that I should get a Garmin Activity tracker? Will that track walks and rest calories automaticly?
  • heybales
    Options
    Not suggesting it - may be more than you need, and Samsung Health gives an easily enough to use daily burn.

But - it means none of my suggestions need to be done, it's all automatic (with it's own set of initial tweaks and adjusting as time goes on).

You would have to decide how useful to you to know some daily burn figures from something on you, and whatever price point that needs to be (do you need to know daily HR readings, or not useful. do you want another tracker for workouts or still use Garmin bike computer).
    They have some cheaper devices that ride on the hip, to some expensive devices that basically replace your workout system (but not as readable as bike computer frankly).
  • Don7773
    Options
    I think I will go get a Garmin Watch. I also use a garmin bike computer for biking. My assumption would be that I would take the watch off when cycling to avoud duplicate entries?
  • heybales
    Options
    Garmin is replace only system - the last, or considered more accurate, replaces other entries.

Bike computer would override tracker.

It's interesting to see how many steps the road vibrations lead to, distance, and calorie burn.
    Calorie burn wiped out by the bike computer entry of course in the daily stats, and therefore what is sent to MFP.
  • Don7773
    Options
    Okay. I can wear the watch during a ride. When the watch information is uploaded to Connect the watch information that occured during a recorded ride is ignored. Is that correct?
  • heybales
    Options
    Calories is replaced.

Bogus Steps and distance is kept as figures (not used in any math) - which could be bad if that is actually a goal, so many steps daily.

But it's nice to have a ton of steps from a ride - over 19K today, and probably less than 2K from actual steps since I was house bound besides the ride and grocery store visit.

But whatever calories was estimated on the device for what it thought was almost 9 miles - was replaced correctly.

And that daily burn 3367 was sent to MFP to do math with, to correct itself in essence, and create a deficit from that total as new eating goal.

Since I had so little movement outside exercise, I got 1425 calories for the workout, but I lost almost 200 because I didn't even reach sedentary level otherwise.

So all taken into account.

Except on Garmin's side. I understand what it's trying to do, but it doesn't make sense - so it's eating goal is still wrong to have the desired deficit.
    Can't be used.
  • Don7773
    Options
    So I got a watch and it tracks heart rate and steps etc. It is a Garmin. This is something I noticed.

On Garmin Connect for the Calorie in/out goals, it calculates that I am using more calories from walking. It says that I have 911 active calories burned. 497 of them come from a ride that my garmin bike computer tracked. That gives me 411 burned calories from walking. According to the watch (I set it up at 3:00pm) I have walked 6,195 steps (5.3k). I do not think that I would burn 411 calories walking that distance.

On the MyFitnessPal, my walking calories come out at 85. 582 (Total active calories) - 497 (bike ride) = 85.

I think the 85 calories for the low intensity walking makes more sense.

Any thoughts on this?

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,157 Member
    Options
    The active calories do seem excessive, yesterday I had 175 active calories for 9500 steps.

But how are you comparing MFP to Garmin's active calories? MFP's calorie adjustment is not the same as Garmin active calories. My calorie adjustment was 126 yesterday. If your setting is not sedentary/'not very active', the difference will be even bigger

I'd wait for a whole day of data. And perhaps check your settings/personal stats on both apps?
  • heybales
    Options
    Ditto's to first day not valid.
    Actually - first 2 weeks will be adjusting.
    Perhaps you've noticed on bike computer or GC settings for that device the Activity Class you could manually select? (used to be setting you had to select)
    Newer devices don't have the setting - but they get it by knowing what you've done, and that has bearing on some calorie burns that aren't distance based.

Don't even attempt the math on Garmin side for eating goals - totally different methods.

As far as is it correct for walking calories burned? - compare to this to see what you really burn on some different paces - will be basically same formula. But you won't know distance to confirm a daily amount from what you gave - recall I said it's calculated distance from ride is included in the daily total, even if the calorie burn is replaced.
    Unless the ride occurred before the watch tracked steps, in which case you'll need a pace, and use NET option for matching to Active calories.

https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

And with that I'll attempt to explain anyway!

Garmin takes any daily activity or workout calorie burn, removes what it calls RMR calories (which doesn't match anything on MFP) from the time, and anything left is "Active" calories.
    (so there was not 497 as workout shown calories showing in the Active calories, it was 497 less RMR calories)

It then adds that to the base daily eating goal it pulls from MFP.

Whereas MFP base eating goal already has some active calories in it because it doesn't expect you to be in bed all day.

Since they both start with different foundations what they are building upon is totally different and the end eating goals will rarely match except by coincidence.
    Hence ignore Garmin for eating goal. I think they started with a design where they would log food and do it all, instead of relying on external source. But they didn't finish that project.

Also what you think happened on MFP is maybe not what happened.
    85 calories an hour is probably your BMR, so walking is going to do a whole lot more than that if that's what the adjustment is.

Tracker current daily burn + MFP rate for rest of day = Tracker projected daily burn

Tracker projected daily burn - (MFP estimated daily burn + known workouts) = adjustment.

Adjustment + workouts = exercise calories

Base eating goal + exercise = new eating goal

So some bogus data and what you gave as example. Say you have 500 cal deficit and 2000 base eating goal.

Tracker current 3082 + MFP rate 0 since end of day = 3082 projected (or in this case actual since @ midnight or beyond)

Projected 3082 - (MFP 2500 estimated daily + 497 workout) = 85 adjustment
    85 adj + 497 workouts = 582 exercise.

Base eating 2000 + 582 = 2582
    Still have your 500 cal deficit

• Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don7773 wrote: »
    I think I will go get a Garmin Watch. I also use a garmin bike computer for biking. My assumption would be that I would take the watch off when cycling to avoud duplicate entries?

No need to do that the system will avoid double counting