In need of recipes that use corn flour

Options
Anyone have any recipes that use corn flour where they’ve already calculated the calories and macros? Corn flour, not corn meal

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Cornflour, to me, is just used as a thickener when sauce translucence is desired - such as in Chinese dishes. Or maybe for the filling in lemon meringue pie etc. What I know as cornflour I believe is cornstarch in the US.

So is this what you mean? Or are you referring to something like Masa Harina?

I’m familiar with cornmeal but that’s not what you want, if you could possibly explain why and what, in more detail we may be able to be more helpful.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    OP: you might have to be more specific as to what you are referring to as "corn flour" since it's used in different regions for differently treated milled corn. pre-cooked/dried/fresh, lime-soaked or not, ... (most of which won't substitute for each other in the same recipes).

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/what-corn-flour/

UK'ers apparently refer to what I know as cornstarch as corn flour. (mainly used to thicken things like gravy here; I've made some quick gf crepes from it on occasion). What is known as corn flour here would be something else.

From the article above, it's apparently not masa harina/ maseca, which are lime-treated ('lime' as in a base, not the fruit), although those are also 'corn flour' elsewhere. Not masarepa/harina pan either (sounds like "corn flour" is from dried corn that hasn't been cooked, unlike those). so ?
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was assuming the question as about masa harina.

I've made cornbread subbing cornmeal with corn flour and it came out pretty good. Then there's corn tortilla, as well as the other typical uses for corn flour. I've also been told you can make bread dough with corn flour using half the amount of bread/AP flour.