Activity level

Options
I get confused on activity level .

I am a full CRNA and when at work I can walk quit a bit or I can sit all day . It’s not predictable. At home I have 3 little kids and never sit down . I run 20 miles a week and lift 3-4 days a week . I exercise mon - fri for 1 hour before work and chase kids all weekend . I take in around 2600 calories as a 39 yo male and I log all activity (600- 800 calories per workout ) . Currently have my activity set to “not very active “ just because most days at work I sit around... thoughts ??

Replies

• KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Youre definitely not, not very active.

I would set yourself to active, eat those calories for a month and gage your weight loss progress, if you have your mfp set to one pound per week, and you lose that, you know it's on the right setting.

But you definitely aren't sedentary
  • mttkey
    mttkey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to add i have it set to gain 1 pound per week
  • KrissDotCom
    Options
    Same advice but reverse I guess lol.. pick an activity level, eat those calories and if you gain 1lbs, then its correct
  • mttkey
    Options
    This thing would have me eating like 3000 calories if I set it for active . I have to make myself eat that much ... I seem to just hold steady the way I have it but I want to cut fat and keep / gain some lean muscle
  • KrissDotCom
    Options
    calorie dense foods can pack on calories quickly without volume, high healthy fats are 9 calories per gram and things like oil can easily be snuck into foods
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    mttkey wrote: »
    This thing would have me eating like 3000 calories if I set it for active . I have to make myself eat that much ... I seem to just hold steady the way I have it but I want to cut fat and keep / gain some lean muscle

What are you doing to gain lean muscle? Eating alone won’t accomplish that. I see that you are lifting weights are you eating before and after those workouts? Are you eating enough protein to provide recovery fuel for those muscles you are trying to build?

Do you have an app to log your weigh routine in to help gauge progress?
  • mttkey
    Options
    Well I eat about 1.5-2 grams protein per pound of body weight. I work out in the AM so carbs are more front loaded. About 0.5 grams of fat per pound and the rest carbs. I weigh 164 # at 68”s tall I eat plenty before and after I workout. Yes I lift weights and use bands . I don’t want bulk just lean mass to prevent me from looking like a scrawny runner . I eat about 1000 cal over my BMR and I hold steady.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Holy s*** that's a lot of protein.
    Let it be set to 3000 calories. If you find that you're gaining more than one pound per week then adjust at that time
  • mttkey
    Options
    I get most my diet recommendations from Jim Stoppani. You can check it out . When I eat any less than this I start lose weight.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    mttkey wrote: »
    Well I eat about 1.5-2 grams protein per pound of body weight. I work out in the AM so carbs are more front loaded. About 0.5 grams of fat per pound and the rest carbs. I weigh 164 # at 68”s tall I eat plenty before and after I workout. Yes I lift weights and use bands . I don’t want bulk just lean mass to prevent me from looking like a scrawny runner . I eat about 1000 cal over my BMR and I hold steady.

It’s impossible to bulk without REALLY trying to. Assuming you have no health issues, I wouldn’t worry about excess protein.

TBH it will probably be hard for you to not look like a scrawny runner with all of the running you do. I joke that if people see me running they should also run as it’s not happening unless I’m being chased by someone/something. You could potentially burn some muscle while running if your body runs out of fuel to feed your exercise.

As far as lifting is concerned though, you will be able to at least get stronger and maybe build some muscle if you keep progressing on your max weight/reps. Don’t just do 10 reps, 4 sets at the same weight. You should be pushing yourself to do as many reps as possible at a given weight and when that gets too easy (you can do 10-12 reps easily) then increase the weight.