Is this normal? BP question

Options
Hello,

I've lost 12lb in two weeks, a lot is probably water weight so that number doesn't faze me. I've also gone from pre-hypertension to normal blood pressure in two weeks. Is this normal? I thought it usually takes longer. I overhauled my diet and walked 10k steps daily. I heard high blood pressure and covid can cause complications so I'm relieved.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Well, not knowing your numbers, I’d say it’s “possible”, doesn’t really matter if it’s “normal” or not. Track your BP daily then talk with your doctor.
  • JTurnerUK
    JTurnerUK Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Well, not knowing your numbers, I’d say it’s “possible”, doesn’t really matter if it’s “normal” or not. Track your BP daily then talk with your doctor.

I was 133/88. Now I'm always around 104/75.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is very common to treat high BP with a diuretic mixed with another medication so a drop in water retention could lower BP.

You need to record your daily weight and take your BP twice a day at about the same time with the normal guidelines and keep a chart to give to your doctor. Water weight fluctuates and some, all, or more of it that you lost will come by for visits on occasion. If you show a trend of your BP escalating more than it should with water retention the doctor may elect to put you on HCTZ or similar to keep it lower.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can get substantial improvements in BP via weight loss, exercise, or a combination of both, and it can happen quickly.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I started dieting at 330 pounds and my BP was around 154/100. When I got to around 300, it was 140/90. Now at 240 pounds, it's 124/80. So i got some pretty good BP improvement just from dropping the first 30, and it's continued improving since then.

I do a lot of exercise so it's hard to say whether those improvements or how much of them are attributable to weight loss or exercise, but "both" is a pretty safe answer.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,288 Member
    Options
    On top of what has already been said, you mention overhauling your diet: if you've reduced your salt intake, that could explain a drop in BP.

And I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but my BP also drops when it's really warm.
  • bbeyer1792
    bbeyer1792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So if my normal bo is already low, averages around 80 over 40, would losing the water weight drop it more?
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 326 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    r.

I was 133/88. Now I'm always around 104/75.

This is amazing!! Good for you!! Keep at it!
  • bbeyer1792
    bbeyer1792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    bbeyer1792 wrote: »
    So if my normal bo is already low, averages around 80 over 40, would losing the water weight drop it more?

If your BP is 80/40 you should talk to a doctor before starting or making any significant changes to your diet, exercise, or fluid intake.

My doctor is aware and isn't concerned, it has always been like this no matter my weight.