Shoes - what are some long lasting walking shoe brands?

Options
Need an idea of some long lasting walking shoes. I just bought a pair of ASICS running shoes 3 weeks ago, haven’t even paid the bill yet and they are already worn out, well the soles or treads are. Only put about 100 miles on them so far. I hope there is a longer lasting shoe out there?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I like Keen's trail shoes. I like Keens everything. They don't wear out.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I have ASICS as well and have loved them. My first pair is going into its third year and I have another in reserve for when the time comes. Maybe you just got a defective pair or not the best model.
  • E7mack96
    E7mack96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have ASICS as well and have loved them. My first pair is going into its third year and I have another in reserve for when the time comes. Maybe you just got a defective pair or not the best model.

Possibly defective, but they are the exact same make and model as i bought 4 years ago. I love ASICS but cannot afford new shoes every couple hundred miles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is replace @300 miles. I walk rather than run but don’t see how an avid runner could afford to do that! I assume that walking is gentler on shoes than running. I would expect a shoe to last more than 100 miles!
    I wonder if you’ve had your gait analyzed. There are different shoes for different styles of gait and foot issues. Maybe you bought a shoe that corrects for a different type of foot and that’s why it wore faster.
    I usually get a neutral shoe from Hoka. I don’t know if their shoes are any better or worse than other brands, but they work for me. I recently got a pair of Challengers. They’re actually trail runners, but not too stiff or aggressive.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The rule of thumb is replace @300 miles. I walk rather than run but don’t see how an avid runner could afford to do that! I assume that walking is gentler on shoes than running. I would expect a shoe to last more than 100 miles!
    I wonder if you’ve had your gait analyzed. There are different shoes for different styles of gait and foot issues. Maybe you bought a shoe that corrects for a different type of foot and that’s why it wore faster.
    I usually get a neutral shoe from Hoka. I don’t know if their shoes are any better or worse than other brands, but they work for me. I recently got a pair of Challengers. They’re actually trail runners, but not too stiff or aggressive.

Most avid runners have alot of shoes, and many have different one for different workouts. So they wear out a bit slower that way, but yeah, they go though lots of shoes and love sales 😹
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am also a big Asics fan so not sure what happened with that pair :/
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've been walking in a $60 pair of Skechers for about 4 months, probably ~10 miles a week, and they still look brand new. Back when I was a runner, I wore Brooks but not sure if they make walking-specific shoes.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I made the switch from ASICS to Brooks for my runs and New Balance for walking and hiking. I used to only wear ASICS for everything but in the last few years I feel like quality has declined
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    My son runs, and I have to get him a new pair of sneakers once per quarter. So if you walk a lot, I’d plan on 3-4 new sneakers per year.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I can understand if you are on a budget but it is really important to make sure you get the right shoes for you. Pretty much anything else I can make do with on the cheap but not my hiking boots. And when I was a runner it was my running shoes.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I walk/hike in Brooks. An important feature for me is that they be light-weight and not big and clunky. I alternate days with Ravenna and Ghost models. I don’t know if these are only women’s styles, though. I’ve had one pair for a couple years and the other for a couple months. I only use them for these hikes, which started several months ago (typically three miles/day).
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I LOVE On Cloud waterproof and Cloudventure hiking shoes. They hold up very well and I think they look cool too!
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I go mainly on urban hikes. I bought a pair of Merrell hiking shoes after noticing the hike leader was wearing them. They look like running shoes except they're sturdier and have more support.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I wore Ascis until my podiatrist recommended I change to Brooks. Best shoe I ever put on my feet.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Also an Asics lover, I have different types for different activities though and usually buy them in the sale.

I have the Mission series for walking, Gecko XT for trail walking and another kind for running.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Salomon are my walking shoes of choice. I don't like to walk in trainers/running shoes personally as they provide no ankle support.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I like OBOZ.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you can get a pair of Keen's that fit and you can afford they have a very solid reputation. I have not gotten a pair to fit correctly yet.

I am going through New Balance shoes about every 2 months and I am not happy about it. I figure the actual walking shoes catch about 5-6 miles per day.

The problem is that I can't find another shoe in another brand that fits AND supports my feet as well. I have gone through MANY pairs of shoes through Prime Wardrobe and walking a mile in one of them compared to a mile in the New Balance Fresh Foam is noticeably different. Sometimes the difference is mild but it is often much worse. This includes many other New Balance shoes as well.

I am using a pair of Asics Gel trail shoes to mow the yard and do chores. They are good but not as good.
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Salomon, both trail and sandals. I've had my feet measured on an uphill and downhill slope and these were the best *for me*. Everyone is different.