Protein powder's question

Options
I got the Vega chocolate protein powder with greens in it. I'm finding it tastes not that great. It isn't horrible but I can tell it's in there. I want something that I don't even notice it's in my drink. I'm only using the protein powder if I'm having a hard time meeting my protein goal for the day. Which so far most this week I have been actually hitting my goal with food. Only ended up using Protein powder once.

Anyone recommend a good powder? And some recipes? Thanks

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You don't want to taste the protein powder or the greens? I always get flavored powder, so I know it's there, but some are definitely better than others.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I remember back in the day Costco carried this cookies and cream protein powder.. omg that stuff was tasty lol but yeah I'd recommend maybe a flavored one lol
  • FitnessFreak1821
    FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You don't want to taste the protein powder or the greens? I always get flavored powder, so I know it's there, but some are definitely better than others.

Yes, the powder I got it almost tastes like artificial or chemical to me. But that might be just me with this brand🤷
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    I remember back in the day Costco carried this cookies and cream protein powder.. omg that stuff was tasty lol but yeah I'd recommend maybe a flavored one lol

This one is chocolate but it tastes bit weird. I'm new to this protein shake thing so maybe it's supposed to taste like chemical or something. It's hard to describe it lol
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Well definitely better ones out there lol I can honestly say this cookies and cream one was very cookies and creamy lol
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Vega is definitely not my top choice. If i get plant based proteins it's pea protein; unless you're ok with whey..
    To get rid of that vega tho: Freeze a cup of fruit (berries hide it best) throw some spinach in the blender, add protein and either water or milk. Itll cover that taste.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    PEscience flavors are pretty good...if you want flavors. I'm still.confused as to what you want🤷‍♀️
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    PEScience and Quest Nutrition are my favorites. They are a whey/casein blend which helps with using them recipes or mixing with oats/greek yogurt.

Muscle Pharm tasted good but wasn't good in cooking. ON is a fan favorite for a lot of people.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with protein too. I get what you mean about that chemical taste. I've tried a ton of brands and flavors and haven't found one I enjoy yet so I just use them when I absolutely can't fulfill my macros with food, or I end up mixing in fruits or veggies to cover it up.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    You can usually get sample packs for protein powders, so maybe just try a few different ones before you invest in a full size pack. It took me a while to find ones I like.

I quite like MyProtein Impact Whey, they have a multitude of flavours, I have the Coffee Caramel flavoured one with a shot of espresso and some chocolate oat milk in the afternoons to perk me up and top up my protein intake on days where I eat less meat than normal.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 or Scitec Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Professional are both incredible but more expensive than your run of the mill MyProtein powders.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Just ended my Kachava subscription. I tried, but it was too chalky for me.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I go with optimum nutrition gold chocolate flavored. Use milk with it and toss in a teaspoon of baking cocoa (unsweetened). In a blender with ice and it's a chocolate shake to me!
  • AliciaHollywood
    AliciaHollywood Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I like Orgain Organic Protein and Superfoods. I have the vanilla flavor and it tastes fine to me but often make a meal of it, adding frozen fruit, flaxseed meal, chia seeds and other other organic healthy things. Sometimes I add non-fat organic vanilla yogurt to it and throw the whole thing in an ice cream maker to make protein frozen yogurt!
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    I like Orgain Organic Protein and Superfoods. I have the vanilla flavor and it tastes fine to me but often make a meal of it, adding frozen fruit, flaxseed meal, chia seeds and other other organic healthy things. Sometimes I add non-fat organic vanilla yogurt to it and throw the whole thing in an ice cream maker to make protein frozen yogurt!

Sounds incredible!

Which fruits do you add? I add a banana to mine but have yet to try frozen fruits.

• FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Thanks everyone 😊
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    PEscience flavors are pretty good...if you want flavors. I'm still.confused as to what you want🤷‍♀️

Something that tastes like it says only (like chocolate) with no hint of chemical. I was basically expecting it to taste like nesquick but you can tell it's different
  • RepswithRyan
    Options

Something that tastes like it says only (like chocolate) with no hint of chemical. I was basically expecting it to taste like nesquick but you can tell it's different

Nesquik is nesquik, it tastes so nice because of all the sugar! I’ve never found a protein powder to taste as nice as Nesquik but the new Mars protein shakes taste super.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior is my favorite- I am having it now :) Sometimes I add some unsweetened cocoa powder. I also like Garden of Life RAW vanilla, mild and they have a Sports based plant protein. Plant Fusion has some good quality plant proteins. Orgain is wildly popular but I do not use it because it is higher in carbs.
    There is a new one, Livbody.com that I am really wanting to try, the flavors look incredible! I do not like whey, casein or any dairy based proteins-they do not make me feel good and I have got better results with plant based. Vega is not one of my favorites either.