Day Two and I have a few questions ...

Options
2»

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yeah servings printed on the packaging are, in my opinion, mainly a sneaky way for companies to try and highlight how “good” their food is. I do look at the number from time to time - for a treat I will often try the suggested serving first because if that satisfies me, great!

When I was at university a friend of mine had a good hack for eating cereal, she always portioned it out in a mug rather than a bowl (she knew about portion control!). That way it doesn’t look so measly, and the depth of milk can still be good.

Personally I don’t eat cereal, as other have mentioned I don’t find it a good way to spend my calories. I think about my calorie allowance much like my bank account, I want to get the most bang for my buck. Since I don’t LOVE cereal and don’t find that it especially filling it’s a bad bargain. There are other breakfasts that I do love (avocado toast) that are a bit higher calorie than ideal, I will usually have this as a treat on a weekend. Day to day I eat oatmeal with apple sauce, pumpkin seeds and a bit of oat milk.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    weigh your food. a mug of cereal can be less than a serving or more - it depends on the cereal. honeycomb is big with lots of air, but smaller cereals like honey smacks or frosted flakes will probably be more than a single serving. and this applies to many foods, as i find that weighing gives different results than measuring.

why do you find avocado toast higher in calories than ideal? i'm curious - how many calories are in your avocado toast vs your breakfast of oatmeal, apple sauce, pumpkin seeds and oat milk?
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining MFP! Loads of experience on these boards to answer all your questions. Over time you will learn how to get the most bang for your caloric buck. A staple breakfast for me is Fiber One Cereal, banana and almond milk. I also like egg whites because you can eat a ton for low cal. A lot of my lunches consist of cauliflower rice (seasoned) and protein. I like to save the majority of my calories for dinner. I am a total foodie and love to cook. It has helped me to think of food as a tool to nourish my body as opposed to a sport.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Serving sizes on boxes are misleading. Nutritionist know 1/2 cup of unsweetened cereal equals a carb serving. Most cereals have you eating too much.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Most cereals have a crazy amount of calories and sugar for what nutrients they provide. I don't know how they stay in business, except through tradition, good advertising and people who don't read the labels. It's like starting your day with dessert.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You might enjoy Beachbody On Demand. (Not a coach and not a current user.) you can use it wherever you have internet access. I think it’s only $99 per year with a free 30 day trial. You can prob get DVDs too. There is lots of variety of workouts with no Or minimal equipment.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Most of the Dorset cereal combinations have no added sugar. That’s why I like it. My favourite flavour is simply delicious muesli. It does have dried fruit and nuts. https://www.dorsetcereals.co.uk/

I’m Canadian. It is available at many of our grocery stores.