What's Your Life Expectancy?

Options
13»

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Don't know how accurate that is. No one in my family has ever lived past 90, most dying in their late 60's. My maternal grandma was the longest lived at 87. My mom is 72 and while she is healthy, I think she probably has maybe 15 years left. Pretty sad thinking about that.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    86. I suppose it would be longer if I start eating my veggies, just haven't decided if that's a life worth living yet 😂
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    89. That damned question about drinking really tripped up my results... ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    94. Interestingly enough, that's what the life insurance underwriters said last year as well when I took out a new life insurance policy.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I answered for 45-year-old me. As of today, she'd have 3 more years to live (dies at 67).

Then I answered for current 64-year-old me. It says I'll live to 102. I really doubt it: I think familial/genetic factors are more important than that. I'm figuring 80-something, if I'm lucky.
    On a serious note...I think one of the reasons to be active, eat a well-balanced diet, and maintain a healthy weight is not to live longer...but to ensure that the last years of your life are worth living. I don't want to live to 96 if the last 20 years of my life are miserable. I want to be active as long as possible, keeping my mobility late into my life so I can still enjoy myself, hopefully up until the day I die. I'm doing what I can to give myself the best shot at that.

This is so, so true. There's a huge difference, on average, between my 60-80 year old friends who've stayed active and below very overweight (who are mostly going strong, doing most things they want to, living independently), and my 50-70 year old friends who are obese and inactive and have been so for quite a while (on multiple drugs with side effects, eating/drinking and recreational activities limited by health concerns, more surgeries requiring longer recoveries, need help with more of their routine life chores, and more).

It can be earlier, it can be later (or never, if lucky), but from watching people around me, it seems like the less-favorable lifestyle choices really start coming home to roost in the 50s-60s, for a fair fraction of people.

The quality of life difference can be very significant. No guarantees either way, of course: It's just about the probabilities.

We have made some good friends that are 76. I thought for the longest time they were 72. The lady (they are a couple) walked 13 miles a day on a treadmill for years in her 60s! How long did that take? "Well, over 3 hours at 4 MPH"! I was floored. They are incredibly active at 76 now. I have no doubt they will both likely live until their late 80s or early 90s.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    At least 90.

Dad died prematurely at 89 due to complications from emphysema; stopped smoking in his 60's but the damage was done. Mom died at 101 but her last 10 yrs were spent in a nursing home suffering from dementia and Alzheimers.

I'll be happy w/another 20 "good" independent yrs & hope just go out in my sleep at 90. Just don't want 2 go out like my Mom did; that was awful to watch.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It is eye opening to try one of these, at 45 thinking I'm on the tail end of my career after 20+ years and realizing I still have pretty much half of my life left to live.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I got 94, thought that was odd as my BMI is currently obese.

Not sure if I put my weight in correctly as it doesn't specificy which units - I used pounds - is that right?
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    97, which seems way too long. I do have a lot of family members who lived into their 90s, but my mom died at 55 from cancer, so you never know.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Eek! 96 is the claim. I'm 48, so:
    Wooah, I'm half way there, I'm living on a prayer.

I don't believe a word of it. I quite like some relatively risky things that weren't covered by the questionnaire. Once I get my PFO fixed, I really want to learn to cave dive.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    101!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    According to that 95. But my family has good genes. My mom died at 93 by accidental fall. My aunt at 96. My dad is currently 88 with no real health issues. And I'm in WAY better shape then they were at same age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png