Makeup Help

Options
For years I let myself go, and that included appearance and dress.

I’ve lost the weight and I’m ready to step it up some. But I haven’t any worn makeup at all in maybe ten years, and before that it was just light makeup- powder blush mascara and maybe some lipstick.

I have totally lost the knack for applying it.

Can anyone recommend resources like YouTube etc for older women?

I’m already wearing leggings and short shorts (just because I can) and sometimes feel like mutton passing for lamb, so I don’t want anything super heavy, and I have a bit of a phobia about lotions and creams on my skin.

I know I can go to the mall (maybe not? Covid?) but don’t want to invest heavily. I figured I could get some cheap stuff to practice with before going for the good stuff.

I especially like the eyeliners and cats eyes that are fashionable right now. Nary a clue how you even do that without looking like a raccoon.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Exhibit A: Robert's tips on makeup creasing underneath the eyeballs...

https://youtu.be/NrKHWBtqZH8
  • emontag
    emontag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stephanie Marie is great and in her 40s, HotandFlashy is in her 50s, Risa Does Makeup and Elle Leary Artistry are good too and in 40s/50s range.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    If the Mall is open in your area try Sephora. They are really great with application, color.

I am not a heavy make up person. I like less is more. And depending how old you are more can make one look older than they are or really shows your age.

I use pressed powder, concealer (dark circles under eye) mascara, eye liner, blush and lips.

I would love to experiment with eye shadow but You Tube videos are so confusing to me I need one on one help.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Do you by chance know anyone who sells Mary Kay? I'm in no way endorsing or suggesting you get involved with it as and MLM; my wife's friend started selling it a few years ago and is seemingly very knowledgeable and does Zoom-based demos and things with my wife and others now and again. They might be able to give you some technique tips, make suggestions, or even float you some samples.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Some local beauticians do makeup. You could see if you could get one to give you a tutorial in person.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    The eyes have it.

https://www.instagram.com/1minutemakeup/?hl=en

One minute tutorials.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I like the Greek and Italian instas for inspo, too. Start with one and you'll find a thousand of them.

https://www.instagram.com/e.cercvadze/?utm_source=ig_embed

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I had the same "look" from the 80s until 2013 when I went to Ulta, where I bought a Bare Minerals kit that had a printed tutorial. I tried it myself, then went back to Ulta and asked for more help. She did my face and eyes and talked me through it, for free. (No idea if they are currently doing that.)

Just took a look on Ulta.com and https://www.bareminerals.com/kits/all-kits/ and don't see that kit. Too bad - it was absolutely perfect for someone who needs a lot of help :(
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    If you’re comfortable going to the mall, any of the makeup counters at Nordstrom will be well worth it. I Just got a great makeover at Bobbi Brown right before lockdown - looks very natural, it’s easy for me to do on my own. I look polished and pulled together, not made up and makeup-y.

You might also try a place like Blue Mercury, Ulta or Sephora. All great options for someone to pick what colors work best for you, how to hide what you want to hide, etc. I need professionals to help match color to my skin tone!
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    HotandFlashy.com is an excellent website and also a YouTube channel for women over 50. Angie is straight to the point and very real. She posts two videos per week and I look forward to them. I cannot recommend her enough!
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I was an Avon rep for years, use a lot of their stuff still, for the price it's pretty decent quality (and you can return products you don't like even if you have used them within 28 days). Lots of free tutorials on their Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDl63H5v8gUFRM3Qtm4O4Gw

I recommend just experimenting yourself.

Mineral powders are great for a base as you can use as little or as much as you like by building it up in layers.

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I wear very little make up - i've worn none over lockdown! I really like mineral powder (which is vegan and chemical nasty free!) and actually I've found that it's really been quite kind to my skin - as opposed to heavier foundations I used to wear. The downside is that it doesn't contain any sunscreen in so I have to apply that separately.

I'd love to learn how to do decent eyeliner. I've started filling in my eyebrows but my husband doesn't like it really. He's not that used to me wearing make up!

Will be watching this for tips :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    I wear very little make up - i've worn none over lockdown! I really like mineral powder (which is vegan and chemical nasty free!) and actually I've found that it's really been quite kind to my skin - as opposed to heavier foundations I used to wear. The downside is that it doesn't contain any sunscreen in so I have to apply that separately.

I'd love to learn how to do decent eyeliner. I've started filling in my eyebrows but my husband doesn't like it really. He's not that used to me wearing make up!

Will be watching this for tips :)

You can get some mineral powder foundations which contain SPF. Avon's do and I think Baremineral's too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Set a little fun budget for a few things, and some gentle remover and cotton pads, and practice! Winged liner takes a lot of tries but it's super worth it when you get it right, just be prepared for the two to be sisters and not twins :D I also recommend an actual brush for doing this kind of liner, rather than a felt tip or a rubber end or whatever else. An angled brush and a pot of gel liner might be the user friendliest.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    For years I let myself go, and that included appearance and dress.

I’ve lost the weight and I’m ready to step it up some. But I haven’t any worn makeup at all in maybe ten years, and before that it was just light makeup- powder blush mascara and maybe some lipstick.

I have totally lost the knack for applying it.

Can anyone recommend resources like YouTube etc for older women?

I’m already wearing leggings and short shorts (just because I can) and sometimes feel like mutton passing for lamb, so I don’t want anything super heavy, and I have a bit of a phobia about lotions and creams on my skin.

I know I can go to the mall (maybe not? Covid?) but don’t want to invest heavily. I figured I could get some cheap stuff to practice with before going for the good stuff.

I especially like the eyeliners and cats eyes that are fashionable right now. Nary a clue how you even do that without looking like a raccoon.

Any suggestions appreciated.

When we're older and and when wearing cosmetics, the use of the least no.of makeup products is best for any finished look, that is minimal, soft and light.

For a daytime look, this might likely be something you'll want to try-out [Start 5: 07 - End 8: 34]

https://youtu.be/b1zRJelysjg

For an evening cat eye look you may consider one of my favourite makeup artists approach to it [Begin 5:20 - End 6: 21] - :

https://youtu.be/IoyGbZapBRg

Looking forward to hearing about how you're faring once you're better acclimated.
  • rickifaidley
    rickifaidley Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My girl, this is my expertise, if you want something good quality, something cheap, I would recommend Colourpop Cosmetics or Morphe or NYX. They aren’t drug store brands but they have great quality items without costing you 40$ for a lipstick.