Rest between sets

Options
I've read about having 30-90s rest intervals between sets. Are 10-15s intervals advisable? This is for hypertrophy, with around 8-12 reps per set.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Were did you read that small of rests?

Only make them shorter if you actually want less desired results - gets you closer and closer to cardio, able to lift less and less heavy weight, creating a smaller and smaller load on the muscles to feel the need to grow more.

Start piling on some weight so that 8-12 reps is actually hard for a set.

Now test the difference between 2 min rest and 30 sec rest - which is going to allow you to do that 2nd and 3rd set just as good?

Pretty simple test.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sure, depends on how it is programmed.

Plenty of established evidence of 15 sec rest between certain rep schemes on certain liftd twill achieve just as robust hypertrophy results.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Only make them shorter if you actually want less desired results -

No and no.

Plenty of evidence that shows quite the opposite.

You are omitting the intensity used which is key when we shorten rest breaks.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I figured intensity as example would be what was hard for 1 set at stated reps.

Hadn't seen the research that hypertrophy was just as robust on lighter weight less rest.
  • Chieflrg
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I figured intensity as example would be what was hard for 1 set at stated reps.

Hadn't seen the research that hypertrophy was just as robust on lighter weight less rest.

Define "hard" though. One left in the tank, two left in the tank, and so on...There are variables missing that relate to intensity. The OP didn't state this specifically but implied a rep range that we should be able to discover a intensity assuming we have a volume range in mind as well.

There are many means as long as the volume is sufficient and we can achieve full muscle motor recruitment.

One street I run some of this type of stimulus within a programming block would be with the use of MYO reps. We can perform as little a 3 reps for the majority of working sets and achieve this for some specific hypertrophy work.

Average intensity is a factor here but is really not to hard to figure out even on the fly if we lay the end goal.

I might say to a athlete.

Pick a dumbbell that you feel you can flat bench press 12-20 reps and leave one in tank. Most people can pick a weight that will hit within that range even if they have just one or two exposures to that variation. Even if they pick one that amounted to 25 reps, that works just fine and we can adjust if we choose on our next exposure.

My activation set has a definitive goal to discover a intensity that will fall into a range that ideally I have my working set intensity and goal in range as well.
  • erikayvonne09
    erikayvonne09 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

No and no.

My coach prescribed me to do AIPA rows, 4 sets of 12 with 10lbs and 15s rest. With 30s though I find it really easy to lift it. With 15s, there's just some challenge but it's not particularly difficult. Will this still give me optimal stimulus for hypertrophy?
  • erikayvonne09
    Options
    Were did you read that small of rests?

Only make them shorter if you actually want less desired results - gets you closer and closer to cardio, able to lift less and less heavy weight, creating a smaller and smaller load on the muscles to feel the need to grow more.

Now test the difference between 2 min rest and 30 sec rest - which is going to allow you to do that 2nd and 3rd set just as good?

Pretty simple test.

My coach said that time under tension with the 15s rest intervals would still be stimulus enough. He chose that over my recommendation of sticking to a 30s rest but increasing the weight of the dumbbells.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

No and no.

My coach prescribed me to do AIPA rows, 4 sets of 12 with 10lbs and 15s rest. With 30s though I find it really easy to lift it. With 15s, there's just some challenge but it's not particularly difficult. Will this still give me optimal stimulus for hypertrophy?

I as a coach/trainer wouldn't find this useful as described. Certainly wouldn't find it optimal unless coach is programming as a pre-fatigue in a creative way.

• erikayvonne09
    Options

No and no.

I as a coach/trainer wouldn't find this useful as described. Certainly wouldn't find it optimal unless coach is programming as a pre-fatigue in a creative way.

I figured. I actually just wanted to increase the weight instead while sticking to a 30-60s interval. I don't think it was meant to be used as a pre-fatigue tactic because the AIPA row was my only back exercise for thay day.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    30-70 seconds per set is optimal; when doing TUT i give no break. Kind of defeats the purpose.
    It's odd that you're on here questioning what your coach is telling you. If you don't trust their word then you need to shop around for a new coach
  • erikayvonne09
    edited August 2020
    Options
    30-70 seconds per set is optimal; when doing TUT i give no break. Kind of defeats the purpose.
    It's odd that you're on here questioning what your coach is telling you. If you don't trust their word then you need to shop around for a new coach

I'm asking here on mfp because I already asked my coach and he says it still fits the recommended rest interval for hypertrophy but I've read otherwise.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm asking here on mfp because I already asked my coach and he says it still fits the recommended rest interval for hypertrophy but I've read otherwise.

That's fair because it's controversial as everyone has a slightly different answer. He should know your goals and how your body handles stress enough to know what you should be doing so if youre going to stick with this coach then trust that this person knows what is best for you.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

If you have a coach, trust what he says. If you don't trust what he says, stop paying him. You're more likely to get advice tailored to your needs from the professional you're paying than us, the internet strangers you know nothing about and who know nothing about you.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what is recommended. If I am lifting heavy, it might take a minute or two to catch my breath. If I am going light and just warming up, I might not need much of a break. I listen to my body. It might be time to shop for a different personal trainer. They are not all the same.
  • Chieflrg
    edited August 2020
    Options

No and no.

I figured. I actually just wanted to increase the weight instead while sticking to a 30-60s interval. I don't think it was meant to be used as a pre-fatigue tactic because the AIPA row was my only back exercise for thay day.

Perhaps ask trainer specifically why it was programmed.

Me personally as a trainer, part if my fee is to teach my client so they are on board and believe in the process. Good chance your trainer feels the same.