Eyeglass Question

Options
In the same vein as the makeup thread I just started .... For years I let myself go, and that included appearance and dress, and it’s time to change.

The last time I got glasses, over two years ago, I was 90 pounds heavier. My face is so thin now that my glasses cover half of it and stick way out on either side of my head. They look cartoonish.

I have an unusually strong prescription so these were small frames to begin with, so they wouldn’t be so thick on the edges.

This is totally off the wall. Has anyone tried children’s frames? I don’t even know if kids frames could support my prescription? I don’t even know if you can get an eye exam during all this. I guess I’ll have to investigate.

What was different about your eyeglasses pre versus post weight loss that would be helpful to know?

My lenses are crazy expensive because of the prescription and I can’t use the online fabricators, so when I get a pair, I have to keep them, love em or hate em.

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    I have worn children's frames before and at least one of my sisters often gets kid's frames too. I didn't really notice a lot of difference in my frames after losing weight, but I mostly wear contacts and only wear my glasses in the evening before bed. But if you want to try children's frames you should check and see if they will work with your prescription.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just got a pair yesterday that I ordered online. They were under the petite/child category, and they fit me just fine. I have a narrow oval face and regular size glasses are always big on me, so I decided to give the "child" frames a go and I'm so glad I did. Just make sure where you go has a petite/child selection since you can't order online. I got mine on zennioptical.com.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Yes! I currently wear petite frames and they're so much better than the offerings for adults. I find most frames are designed to be entirely too big and overpower the face instead of being an accent. It took about thirty pairs until I found these and in the future I will stick with petite frames.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have done kids frames before! I am second guessing my latest frame choice, but stuck with them for now (currently redoing the lenses, hopefully they are better!) My daughter has a pretty strong rx, +5.50 or something like that. She has to have the specialty $$$ lenses or they would be too thick (they curve out towards her eyes... convex?), plus it gives her more of a field of vision rather than a quarter size area in the middle. The sport glasses we ordered her almost didn’t work with her lense needs, there were a couple phone calls back and forth to get it squared away.

Just learned about Ortho-K at my appt today - going to research it... essentially retainers for your eye balls to wear at night so you don’t need glasses during the day!
  • northdakota84
    northdakota84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may want to try ordering a bunch of frames only from a less expensive vendor like Zenni. You can take the ones you really like to your eye doctor to have lenses put in. I have a really strong prescription too (super bad astigmatism), and i just ordered 6 frames from Zenni for under $40 total. You can also try their virtual try-on thing, but I haven't found that to be 100% accurate in relation to how the frames actually fit in person .
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    Thanks y’all. This discussion was very helpful.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    In the same vein as the makeup thread I just started .... For years I let myself go, and that included appearance and dress, and it’s time to change.

The last time I got glasses, over two years ago, I was 90 pounds heavier. My face is so thin now that my glasses cover half of it and stick way out on either side of my head. They look cartoonish.

I have an unusually strong prescription so these were small frames to begin with, so they wouldn’t be so thick on the edges.

This is totally off the wall. Has anyone tried children’s frames? I don’t even know if kids frames could support my prescription? I don’t even know if you can get an eye exam during all this. I guess I’ll have to investigate.

What was different about your eyeglasses pre versus post weight loss that would be helpful to know?

My lenses are crazy expensive because of the prescription and I can’t use the online fabricators, so when I get a pair, I have to keep them, love em or hate em.

I wear childrens glasses because my face is too slim for most adult glasses. Been wearing BBig for 20 years or so, the larger childrens size, 48-18. Currently model 215. Like I say a very slim face thus it's nearly impossible to get my eyes in the middle of most glasses, and I can only wear acetate due to very touchy nerves where pads of non-acetate glasses rest. And if you also happen to have a face shape where the arms should sit in the middle, and not the top of the frame then you're pretty much doomed.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @annaleverentz My sisters were discussing that you don't hear much about contact lenses anymore. Why is that. Are they going by the way of the dodo, too much bother for premium daily contacts. People out here don't like them because there's too much wind and dirt/dust blowing around almost every day. What's your opinion about them.

@springlering62 You look good in anything, everything.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @annaleverentz My sisters were discussing that you don't hear much about contact lenses anymore. Why is that. Are they going by the way of the dodo, too much bother for premium daily contacts. People out here don't like them because there's too much wind and dirt/dust blowing around almost every day. What's your opinion about them.

Personally I don’t hear a lot about contacts because pretty much every second person I meet wear them (I tend to find out eventually). In my area most people use contacts at least some of the time.

I use monthly contacts, which are the only ones that work with my rather extreme prescription. Less waste, cheaper and actually not very fussy at all. Certainly worth it for the ability to enjoy all the activities I want.

Glasses are relatively fragile (I do rock climbing and play padel), slip around (I like doing inversions in yoga), lacks peripheral vision (dangerous when I’m biking, and certainly not something I’d be comfortable with if driving), are a pain when it rains/snows (frequently) and are very expensive. I recently got new glasses and the cost including middle-of-the-road frames and the required thinning of lenses equates about 6 years worth of contact lenses + solution. And with contacts I can alter the prescription every 6 months if I needed to.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    We could not get eye dr appointment in March and April but can do so now.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a really high prescription and was worried I couldn't go to a cheaper online source but I just got a pair from Zenni and they're great. They can do the high index so they're not super thick. I'm hooked. Even with the high index and major prescription I still paid less than $100 and my last pair from my optometrist was over $700.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Many sites today let you upload a picture and virtually try on different frames. I found that helpful to see what shape would look best with the shape of my face. Just google virtual try-on eyeglasses and you'll find loads of options. From there you can decide where you want to buy. I also tried the Warby Parker try at home, where they mail you 5 frames to try for 5 days. None were quite what I wanted but it was nice to try in my home.

If you have a strong prescription, pay the extra for high index lenses. They're thinner and lighter, and therefore open up more frame possibilities. :)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

@springlering62 You look good in anything, everything.

I would LOVE to wear contacts...but since having LASIK done 20 years ago, I can't anymore. I used to wear contacts all the time. Then I had LASIK done. It was awesome for 10 years...then my vision started to go again. Now no matter what kind I try, they just don't sit correctly flat on my eyeball (scarring maybe?) and so my vision is not nice and clear.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Zenni opitical is the best. I have been getting my glasses there for years and they are each around $50-75 a pair so I buy them like shoes. They have a wide selection of frames. Plus, they are inexpensive so you won't break the bank if you try a pair and you don't like them.