What is the Mediterranean diet?

Options
The Mediterranean diet is a way of eating based on the traditional cuisine of countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea. While there is no single definition of the Mediterranean diet, it is typically high in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nut and seeds, and olive oil.

The main components of Mediterranean diet include:

Daily consumption of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and healthy fats
Weekly intake of fish, poultry, beans and eggs
Moderate portions of dairy products
Limited intake of red meatcjfcoqqk94qe.jpg

Replies

• RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, thank you.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyday food and common sense to me 🤷‍♀️
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an advertisement.

If you're interested she has a group you can join... ;)
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an advertisement.

Perhaps to you but it may teach beginners that have less knowledge on the topic.
  • SunflowerQueen36
    SunflowerQueen36 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean cuisine 😍 Didn't realize it was super healthy - Should make it more often!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @fitnessinmy30s Out here in my small corner of the world they definitely say that. ROFL
    You're resolute and tenacious with a bold style. Gotta lurve that. ;)
  • fitnessinmy30s
    fitnessinmy30s Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @fitnessinmy30s Out here in my small corner of the world they definitely say that. ROFL
    You're resolute and tenacious with a bold style. Gotta lurve that. ;)

I’m just going to say this - I’ve never had myself mentioned in a paragraph that always used the word lurve...it felt good - felt really good!
  • fitnessinmy30s
    fitnessinmy30s Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I’m on this diet!!!

It’s basically this....
    Fish good - Red meat bad
    Veggies good - Chips bad
    Fruits good - Bread bad
    Nuts good - Candy bad
    Olive oil good - Ranch bad

That’s it!!! Right there!!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it (do people say that still??)

Weirdly, they eat bread in the Mediterranean.

Yep, and quite a lot of it in various local forms in the 8 or 9 Med countries I've visited and also red meat certainly isn't regarded as "bad".

Got a strong suspicion that list wasn't complied by someone who actually lives in the Mediterranean region.

This is an accurate statement
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,817 Member
    Options
    I found it interesting that in the canned speech my Dr (annual physical) gave last year he mentioned this WOE. It wasn't even about losing weight but more about being healthy. Of course he also always mentions smoking and drinking and about that time my eyes roll up in my head since I don't drink or smoke and never have. He has a checklist of things he tells all the patients regardless of size shape age sex etc... ;)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Not sure I grok why there's antagonism to the Meditteranean diet. Looks healthy and sensible. I've always wanted to give it a shot as a long term WOE, but every time I do, I end up quickly going back to my rib eyes and cheddar BLTs.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I found it interesting that in the canned speech my Dr (annual physical) gave last year he mentioned this WOE. It wasn't even about losing weight but more about being healthy. Of course he also always mentions smoking and drinking and about that time my eyes roll up in my head since I don't drink or smoke and never have. He has a checklist of things he tells all the patients regardless of size shape age sex etc... ;)

Yep, same here. My doc gives me a printout full of info about it every physical I have, even though she said she doesn't think I need to lose a whole lot more weight and my numbers are decent.

Not that I'm against it or anything...I actually think this WOE is the closest thing I'd ever choose to an actual diet plan.