Water Intake

Options
I make a homemade cappaccino every morning with 8 ounces of water and 2 Tbl of mix. I am wanting to be more intentional on my water intake and wondered other's opinions/knowledge about wether or not that is valid to include in my daily water goal.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,716 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can include it.

It used to be thought that caffeine-containing drinks were too diuretic to count, but more recent research suggests they hang around long enough to have a hydrating effect. Any water-containing food or beverage counts toward hydration, too. However, I understand that we usually only put drinks in the MFP water count.

I'm assuming you log the calories from the mix, too.

I can also understand logging water, as a way to be more intentional about drinking enough (I do it myself). However, if we're drinking enough (or consuming it in food, or whatever) that urine is pale yellow, hydration is probably adequate. (Bright neon yellow sometimes happens with high water-soluble vitamin intake, because excess ends up quickly in one's outgo, but dark - a concentrated look - is not good.)
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a glass of water for every cup of tea I drink during the day. I find this increases hydration and reduces the tea stains on my teeth because I’m drinking less tea.
  • Walkingwithdogs
    Walkingwithdogs Posts: 69 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I find the easiest way to remember to drink my water is the have a glass every time you take a pee...this is a minimum requirement I stick to....but also drink water with meals and all other times when I feel thirsty or hunger (really don't ever feel hungry though)....maybe thats the water...👍
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Unless I am sweating profusely, drinking alcohol, or the wrong kind of sick, I only drink water when I am thirsty. I am very seldom dehydrated without clear cause doing it this way. Some people stay on the low hydration side and need to make more of an effort to drink more. No reason to assume you are one of them unless you notice consistently dark urine (after mid morning) or your doctor tells you.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I carry a two litre hydration pack when training outdoors.

I would say I’m someone that could drink more water but it’s difficult to keep on up top of unless you start to become dehydrated.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It still says on the MFP diary page that we should be drinking and logging 8 glasses of water a day. This is old, thoroughly debunked information that has no scientific background. Now, it is recommended that we "stay hydrated" but no amounts of water are set at minimums. You are to look at your urine. If it is light yellow or straw colored, you are sufficiently hydrated. If it is darker, you need more water. How you get that water is up to you. It can be in wet food like celery, in a cup of tea or however you want it. Water is water no matter what it's mixed up with. Of course, water itself has the advantage of being calorie free and easy to drink. I happen to like tap water made fizzy with CO2. Here's a good, up-to-date, scientific take on the matter: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/water/