I am looking for long cook time recipes

Hc1231
Hc1231 Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2020 in Recipes
I work 12 hour shifts, so I leave home at 6:15 a.m. and get home around 7:30/ 7:45 p.m. what are some slow cooking recipes that I can pop in the oven, slow cooker, etc. and will hold until I get home? I hàve been prepping meals, but sometimes it would be nice to come home to freshly cooked food rather than a reheated/ microwaved meal. I don't have any dietary restrictions, nor am I a picky eater. Thank you for your help!

Replies

• Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    I vote for soups or stews in the crock pot. (Assuming you have a crock pot with removable crock). Prep your veggies and meat the night before and toss it all in the crock with broth/water and seasonings and refrigerate overnight. In the morning put the crock in the pot and cook on low all day. Soups always taste better when they slow cook for that long. Doesn't matter what meat/veggies you prefer, and can freeze in smaller portions for other days. Internet is full of crock pot soup recipes. 🌝

Always my go to especially on cold winter days.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Osso buco can be done in a slow cooker
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    You might think of investing in a sous vide set up. The modern ones are a staff about one foot long and two inches in diameter that you clip onto a large pot.
  • atty2de
    atty2de Posts: 11 Member
    ELEPHANT STEW

INGREDIENTS
    1 elephant
    2 rabbits (optional)
    salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Cut elephant into bite size pieces.
    This should take about 2 months.
    Add enough brown gravy to cover.
    Cook over hot fire for 3 weeks.
    This will serve 3800 people.
    If more are expected, the two rabbits may be added, but do this only if necessary as most people do not like to find hare in their stew.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Google is a very useful tool, and you can find countless sites for slow cooker recipes, covering every personal taste imaginable. Soups, stews, roasts, even desserts.