Training plan making me stocky rather than thinner

Options
Hi, I work out 3 times a week. Mostly deadlift, squats, military press, push ups, plank, lunges, inverted rows. I am getting stronger and lifting heavier but my legs are looking thicker rather than thinner especially thighs. Where am I going wrong?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Reduce the resistance and just focus on the form and reps. Training muscle on weight loss programs is to KEEP the muscle you already have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating too many calories?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Could be water retention (I retain sooo much water in my quads as soon as I stopped squats the decreased substantially) also are you losing weight? Are you taking measurements?
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    What ninerbuff said, but also? If you can, do stuff known to produce longer, leaner lines. Pilates, ballet, swimming, yoga...
  • medhakhanna471
    medhakhanna471 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Reduce the resistance and just focus on the form and reps. Training muscle on weight loss programs is to KEEP the muscle you already have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you. Should I be changing the exercises too?
  • medhakhanna471
    Options
    What ninerbuff said, but also? If you can, do stuff known to produce longer, leaner lines. Pilates, ballet, swimming, yoga...

I can try Pilates. Does it burn enough calories though?
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I can try Pilates. Does it burn enough calories though?

Hi, the Pilates, ballet, yoga myths about "producing longer leaner muscles" are not correct. Muscles won't lengthen as they are attached at each end. This article explains it really well.

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/articles/long-lean-muscles/

Be sure to take measurements and see how your clothes fit - you may not be getting bigger, just stronger.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - why exactly do you think that working your muscles will make your legs thinner?

(BTW, take measurements and don't rely on what you see in the mirror as shape and size are not the same thing.)
  • medhakhanna471
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - why exactly do you think that working your muscles will make your legs thinner?

(BTW, take measurements and don't rely on what you see in the mirror as shape and size are not the same thing.)

My expectation is that working my muscles will result in more fat burn.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

My expectation is that working my muscles will result in more fat burn.

You are burning fat every minute of every day - losing bodyfat is a function of a sustained calorie deficit not the type of exercise you do.