5k runners question

Options
I was wondering what is the best workout to do the day before a big run, such as a 5k. I will be running one on Saturday, and have been told it's best to do nothing the day before. Nothing..? Not even a small run? walk? stretch? Seems like something would be better than nothing..?

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I did nothing before my 5k. I would suggest the same so that you stock pile some energy. But if you have to do something, I wouldn't do more than a walk. That's just me though.
  • xunsungxherox
    Options
    same as the above advice from me too. Keep it to a walk and build up your carb levels the morning before your run so you have that energy to release.

-Ben
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The most I've done the day before a 5K, is about 1.5 miles, slowly. Usually, I don't do anything.

I'll tell you what NOT to do the night before...don't go to a restaurant and meet a girlfriend you haven't seen in 10 years and drink beer. Not a fun run the next day!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Did my first a couple weeks back and used the following advice from my brother who is a seasoned marathon runner.

Something light the day before (e.g. a brisk walk) is fine but he advised against any real workout, and he encouraged a good stretching session (at least 20 minutes) the evening before.

I didn't do anything the day before in terms of a workout. I did a 30 minute stretch routine before bed. Next morning I got up and did the same stretch routine at abut 6:00 AM (preceded by a few minutes of rope skipping to warm up), and then race at 9:00 AM. I ended up doing mine in 30:17 which was faster than I'd imagined possible. (Have only been running since June and am still above 25% body fat so I don't have a classic runner's body.)

Hope this helps.
  • Eleisabelle
    Options
    Same for me. Nothing the day before, except MAYBE a nice, calm walk.

Letting your muscles rest actually allows them to be fresh and ready for the race. Some assume that taking a day off undoes the hard work you've been doing--but instead, it actually gives your muscles time to heal and be ready to come back all the stronger the next day. That's why the best running training programs (like C25K and such) build in regular days of rest between workout days. Those rest days let your muscles work on getting stronger.

Have a great race!
  • jeff261159
    Options
    I'm doing a 10 mile the day after a 5k!!!
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Just stretch a little the night before. Eat a nice amount of carbs too the night before the run. I believe they suggest doing nothing because you could overdo it and then your results for the run could be jepordized. Good Luck!
  • cindy0716
    Options
    The most I've done the day before a 5K, is about 1.5 miles, slowly. Usually, I don't do anything.

I'll tell you what NOT to do the night before...don't go to a restaurant and meet a girlfriend you haven't seen in 10 years and drink beer. Not a fun run the next day!

That's good advice !! LOL
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing. Keep loose. Eat carbs the day before, although not too much as 5k isn't a massive distance.

I did a bit over 5k this morning having done no runs for two and half weeks, just some resistance and circuit stuff over the last few days. No problems with energy levels.

Good look with your run and have fun!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Really depends on you.

If your legs are happy and you've been running a long time... I wouldn't bother. 5K is not an extreme distance that should make you worry about tapering.

If you are a new runner, and you feel like your legs are a little beat up... taking the day before off likely won't hurt and may help get you that personal best.

That being said, I ran 7-8 Km on Sunday and then competed in a Half Marathon on Monday.

Like I said, it really depends on you.
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Nor should you order a medium pizza from Domino's (and eat the whole thing). Had to stop a few times last Saturday to make sure everything stayed down. Yet, I still knocked a full min off my time from the week before, lol

But, as for the topic, I would stretch the night before. The first one I ran, I used p90 stretch routine, and then before this last one I did yoga.

PS...Go Hogs Go!
  • richiedbond
    Options
    I usually do a slow, around 1 - 2 miles the night before a 5K and 2 -3 miles the night before a 10K. Just make sure it is slow and you concentrate more on just stretching the muscles.
  • mamafor2manykids
    Options
    Yeah, same as everyone else has mentioned. I usually do absolutely nothing the day before the race. I have been on a low carb diet, so about 3 days before the race, I will up my carb consumption. I would listen to your body. If you have the opportunity to run another race this year, try an experiment......rest the day before the race, and see how you do.....then the next time, run the day before and see how you do (or vice versa). Everyone is a little different. Good luck!
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k a few weeks back, i did nothing the day before, but 2 days before i did my normal 45 minute work out. Just make sure you eat like you normally do and go for it! Enjoy it. you will love it!
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love how quickly we can get answers here :) Sounds like a short slow walk with plenty of stretching is the best bet. I would call myself a new runner since i am still getting back into it. This will be my first run post-baby, and he will be along for the ride too so can't wait! Happy running!!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Nor should you order a medium pizza from Domino's (and eat the whole thing). Had to stop a few times last Saturday to make sure everything stayed down. Yet, I still knocked a full min off my time from the week before, lol

But, as for the topic, I would stretch the night before. The first one I ran, I used p90 stretch routine, and then before this last one I did yoga.

PS...Go Hogs Go!

LOL, Love it! Go SEC! :)
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What about maybe some Yoga the day before? I'm running two next month and have been having this same question
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    The first 5K race I did was in the evening....

I hadn't 100% decided to go along - so I did my normal 5K run in the morning (just in case I decided not to race after all) and then I decided to go for it and did the actual race in the evening of the same day!!!!! :laugh:

Got a good time (for me as a new runner) but it's probably NOT the best idea to do that!

Brisk walk and a bit of stretching sounds like the best way forward as others have said.

Good luck with your race!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what is the best workout to do the day before a big run, such as a 5k. I will be running one on Saturday, and have been told it's best to do nothing the day before. Nothing..? Not even a small run? walk? stretch? Seems like something would be better than nothing..?
    Training is over by the day before the race. Training is an activity that requires overstressing the body so that it can recover and become stronger. You don't have any time to allow your body to recover so there's no value in stressing it.

Assuming you do it correctly, stretching is fine anytime though many runners argue that it does nothing.

Insofar as eating before a 5k, nothing I've ever read indicates that there can be any value in trying to eat something special. A 5k race is short enough that your body has enough glycogen in the muscles and in the liver to fuel you for the run.

A really good source of information is "Road Racing" which is a Runner's World book. I bought my copy on Amazon, used, for $5. IT's packed with good info.

Enjoy your race!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Most training programmes for 5Ks recommend nothing at all. However, there's a little trick Marathoners often use. Bearing in mind Marathon racers will have had a taper of two weeks, they can get a bit antsy and feel their legs just won't do the job, so they are recommended a 20-30 minute jog the day before.

If you just can't leave it alone, do a test run. Put on all the kit you'll wear for the race, walk to the end of the road, jog for no more than 10 minutes and walk back.

Many a pre-race sleepless night has been eliminated by reassuring yourself your legs do still work and all the kit you need in the morning is in one place and ready!