Options
2»

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I personally see 0 benefit in weighing daily. It’s obsessive imo. I weigh weekly on the same day each week before breakfast. I know that if I’m sore, my weight will be up a little and I don’t sweat it.

Is it obsessive to brush your teeth every day? Twice even? Just recording a datapoint is not obsessive. If you fret over it and return to the scale several times it might be. Each their own. I use a weight trending app. With it I have an idea what's going on after say 14 days. If I were to weigh weekly then I'd need 14 weeks to get the same data trend. I'm maintaining, btw. With lots of days at the moment where I'm away and have no idea how much I'm eating this is the best tool to figure out where I am.

One is for hygiene while the other is obsessing over a number so this an awful anology. If it works for you, ok. It seems obsessive to me and I’m entitled to my opinion just like you’re entitled to yours.

😛
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I find the fluctuations interesting. A Chinese meal will put me up 3lb without the slightest problem.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I personally see 0 benefit in weighing daily. It’s obsessive imo. I weigh weekly on the same day each week before breakfast. I know that if I’m sore, my weight will be up a little and I don’t sweat it.

If I had a lot of weight to lose I might weigh less frequently. When I was still 50 pounds from goal I broke my scale, and I didn't buy another one until I was trying to lose that last 15- 20. So for several months I didn't step on a scale. I knew I still had a long ways to go because I was still wearing size 14.

8-10 is where I needed to be...

To each their own. I do think that daily weigh-ins help with that over-attachment to the number. It's but one of many possible data points, but it's the one we put too much emphasis on. Weighing daily takes that obsession with the number away (for me at least.)

..And those close to normal weight won't necessarily see that number go down on a weekly weigh-in (despite possibly trending downward) as typical loss per week will be far less than normal daily fluctuations. (and I think most would find this much more distressing than a single daily weigh in being high).
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It does cause water weight.
    Funny story when I did my first weight training session years ago I felt super impressed that I'd managed to put in a whole lb of muscle in a single session. I cringe thinking back to that a bit.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

If I had a lot of weight to lose I might weigh less frequently. When I was still 50 pounds from goal I broke my scale, and I didn't buy another one until I was trying to lose that last 15- 20. So for several months I didn't step on a scale. I knew I still had a long ways to go because I was still wearing size 14.

8-10 is where I needed to be...

To each their own. I do think that daily weigh-ins help with that over-attachment to the number. It's but one of many possible data points, but it's the one we put too much emphasis on. Weighing daily takes that obsession with the number away (for me at least.)

..And those close to normal weight won't necessarily see that number go down on a weekly weigh-in (despite possibly trending downward) as typical loss per week will be far less than normal daily fluctuations. (and I think most would find this much more distressing than a single daily weigh in being high).

THIS.

I checked back, and the Monday, August 3rd weigh-in with the 1,9lb ”gain” was 215,3 pounds. The first record with that exact number is Monday, June 1st. That’s over 2 months betwen them. If I only weighed in on Mondays and didn’t have the trend data, I could easily believe I hadn’t lost any weight in two months. My trend changed 2,9 pounds in that time. The June weigh-in was a new low at the time, while the August weigh-in was a high.

(Yes, I know just under 3 pounds in 2 months isn’t great. Some people lose faster, some slower, and I care more about maintaining any loss I achieve than going quickly in both directions. The point is fluctuations masking the trend.)