Lack of Motivation Without Group Exercise Classes

Options
I'm in Scotland and our gyms are still closed here. I had a baby by c-section in December and was ready to rejoin the gym when things started to lockdown here. I know I can work out whenever I want and have access to endless free Youtube HIIT resources etc. but I just really miss group exercise classes. I used to love going to Les Mills ones in particular. I've had a look at Less Mills on Demand and it's just not the same. Sorry I'm know sure what I'm actually hoping to achieve here other than maybe a bit of reassurance that some others are in the same position! Also, if you've found something that works for you, I'd love to hear it.

Replies

• willrunformartinis8788
    Options
    Same for me. I love group classes! Our gyms are opened in Boston but they’ve been filled up quick. I’ve found some smaller studios around and have been able to do other group classes with them. I also had tons of fun zooming with some friends and doing a less mills workout together. Are your gyms offering zoom classes with instructors? I found a personal trainer on Instagram that did a couple of free classes over zoom as well. Look around and see what you find.
  • rach3116
    rach3116 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real!!! I LOVE classes and miss them terribly. The one gym (part of a chain) that is still open where I am is 30 min away and still not offering classes anyways.

My Peloton spin is amazing though and I do love ALL their workouts. No, it’s not the same as in class but the instructors are wonderful and I get the same push. Even if a peloton bike isn’t in your budget you can join the membership and they have everything from meditation to walking and running outside. Also, amazon prime has workout classes on there too. 🤷🏽‍♀️
    Feel free to add me as a support! My baby is 19 months old and I’m nearly at my pre- baby weight! 💪🏾
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    Are classes really that good? I mean i can't afford a gym anyway but I was always terrified of going in!
    Like yoga for example, I didnt want to be the only one who was just a complete sack of potatoes haha when there's like 40-50 year old women more flexible than me!! (I'm 28 lol)
  • sarahstappard
    sarahstappard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have signed up to Les Mills on demand - the body combat classes are fab and you don't need any equipment just plenty of water! I have just invested in a body pump set and am starting to love this class too. I find it great I can fit the workouts around the kids and work. They have a 2 week free trial so well worth a try. I have started to really enjoy them and there is not the normal I can't be bothered to go to the gym because it is in my living room and I have no excuse!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,314 Member
    Options
    My gym has recently reopened, but for the couple months it was closed, I used a few apps to design timed bodyweight workouts for me and did them on a yoga mat in my living room; also started listening to a podcast from the beginning and was only allowed to listen to it while taking walks. Definitely missed my spin classes, but it was enough to keep me pushing for progress.

About a month ago, I joined a group on MFP with other folks working on themselves, and that has most definitely held me accountable. I think if you can find people who can support you, even if not in the same way as a group fitness class, you're more likely to stick with it.

If you want to join the MFP Group - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10808058/registration-for-new-members-september-2020#latest

Apps:
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I also miss group classes, and I'm not really motivated by youtube videos and such - I always think I'm not doing it right.
    What I'm doing right now is playing Rig Fit Adventure (for nintendo switch). Obviously, it's not the same as a class, but it's fun and you keep motivated because it's a game, you HAVE to destroy those monsters 😜. And the sensors control how well you are performing, so you have to do your best of you want your "attack" to be effective. According to my apple watch, I burn about 300 calories in an hour playing this, so not bad at all!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use BeachBody on demand. When I subscribed it was $120/ year.
    Over the last couple of years Ive done PIYO, Brazil Butt Lift, 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Real Time, 21 Day Fix Extreme Real Time.
    I like the fact that each of these programs have a calendar. The calendar provides instruction as to which workout to do. The sets, cast and trainer all provide the illusion of a live class.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When the lockdown thing started I had a really hard time motivating and doing the workouts from home. The gym supplied daily workouts, but it was too easy to put it off and eventually bail on doing anything.
    Then my brother mentioned he was having a motivation problem as well so we started working out “together” via WhatsApp. The accountability and fun we had made it much easier for me to get going. Next his wife joined us and the three of us worked out five times a week for several months.
    Now, my gym is doing parking lot group classes and I’m doing that, but my brother and his wife are still doing it together at home.
    Maybe you can find a friend or relative- maybe someone from your gym or maybe even someone from this forum that would want to do the same. WhatsApp worked well for us, but FaceTime, Skype, google meet can all work for this. You can do the same workout at the same time and feel like you’re together (a little).
    The group thing is definitely a motivator for me. Also the accountability of saying from tonight that I will be working out at 6:00 tomorrow evening makes it so much better for me. When I’m with others it’s fun but when I’m alone it feels like work lol!!
  • daffyfroz
    daffyfroz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m a huge fan of Les mills on demand, there is so much variety, you can do a class anytime and Marlon! 😍
    Seriously though, can you meet a friend to go walking or running? we’re still in stage 3 lockdown here so we can only meet in pairs. If you know someone is waiting for you, it might motivate you? I’m not sure I’ll rejoin my gym again when it reopens, still several weeks away anyway.