Duromine does not work

Options
ive been on duromine 30mg for 7 weeks now and it hasn't done a thing? No side affects, no appetite suppressed, no burst of energy. I wouldn't even know i was taking it. Im disappointed, ive spent $200 on it and was all excited to of been a few dress sized smaller by now and absolutely nothing has happened. Is this normal?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow. Can you get a refund?
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,659 Member
    Options
    It might be worth seeing if your doctor can put you on a higher dose.
    I took it for 4 weeks and lost 5kg, I had so much energy and would literally forget to eat, and my mood was much better. I don't think it's "normal" to have absolutely no change so I'd say it's time for a chat with your doctor since you've given it enough time to start doing something!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    ive been on duromine 30mg for 7 weeks now and it hasn't done a thing? No side affects, no appetite suppressed, no burst of energy. I wouldn't even know i was taking it. Im disappointed, ive spent $200 on it and was all excited to of been a few dress sized smaller by now and absolutely nothing has happened. Is this normal?

You probably need to talk to your doctor. DH was on that, but he was on the generic (you may also want to discuss that with your doctor), it did not cost us nearly that much.

He lost 70lbs on it, rather quickly. He just didn't feel hungry. My MIL has also been put on it and has lost 30lbs in the past 6 weeks - she struggles to eat 1200 calories because she just isn't hungry.

It's a medication that should be closely watched by your doctor though. DH lost weight on it, but he would not take it again unless he needed to lose weight fast. He didn't like the way it made him feel. He had sleep apnea though and needed to lose weight. MIL also says she overheats easily and just feels weird.
  • ashleephillipsgow
    ashleephillipsgow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It cost $100 AUD but I have had 2 scripts because I was on 15mg for 2 weeks and then the doctor upped the dose. She told me at the time of the appointment when she gave me the new script that it can take 3-6 months to see results. But I find this hard to believe? I know a lot of people who have been on it and all have said that the same day they started they struggled to eat. Im 7 weeks in and dont even have an effect let alone any results. And no i don't think medical scripts give refunds.
    Also i havnt been told anything about a generic brand, they usually offer the generic brand for whatever you're getting when you hand the script in.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I took it for 4 weeks and lost 5kg, I had so much energy and would literally forget to eat, and my mood was much better. I don't think it's "normal" to have absolutely no change so I'd say it's time for a chat with your doctor since you've given it enough time to start doing something!

I was previously on phentermine and it helped me lose 40 lbs (I put 8 lbs back on when I stopped it). I felt great on it also, same as you, both my energy and mood were great. Mine was only $8 month with my prescription. If your insurance doesn't cover it... google the name and then 'coupon' and you should get a list of different coupons available. I do this with all of my medication because sometimes the coupons are even cheaper than my insurance. I feel bad for the OP that it didn't help her.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I lost a good bit of weight with it when I previously took it. Did your medication come from the pharmacy or an online place? The reason I ask is because I previously lived overseas and had to order my medication from another overseas provider since the country I was living in didn't have my medication. The medication I received was absolute junk. I'm not saying this is what is going on your case... just letting you know my experience which happened once. I also had Safeway issue me a recall on my thyroid medication this past year. Apparently, there were bad products at the main chemist (nothing that would have hurt anyone, but just not adequate). Regardless of everything I just shared, I would speak with your medical provider for advice on this. Good luck. :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    What goes UP must come down. There are side effects. For some there's bouncing off the walls and constant thirst. There's more energy than you know what to do with, blood pressure rises but comes back down after your doctor weans you off. It can be used as a bridge or a tool to get you from Point A to Point B but when you're weaned off those impacts go away, too. My mother's generation had Rx stuff like this. It was like a tornado ripping through everyone's house. Houses were clean but the tornado was higher than a kite. B)
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,659 Member
    Options

I was previously on phentermine and it helped me lose 40 lbs (I put 8 lbs back on when I stopped it). I felt great on it also, same as you, both my energy and mood were great. Mine was only $8 month with my prescription. If your insurance doesn't cover it... google the name and then 'coupon' and you should get a list of different coupons available. I do this with all of my medication because sometimes the coupons are even cheaper than my insurance. I feel bad for the OP that it didn't help her.

Looks like OP is an Aussie - we don't have coupons for prescription medications here. Most medications cost very little as they're on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) so the government pays the majority of the cost and you just pay the pharmacist a dispensary fee, essentially. But Duromine, unfortunately, is not on the PBS so there is no portion covered by the government, and the way our private health insurance works here, it's also excluded from those benefits (as the portion they pay is determined by the PBS as well). What OP paid is exactly what I paid when I was on it - it's so expensive, I was glad it worked for me as it was at least a bit worth it but sadly it looks like it isn't working for OP :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,919 Member
    Options
    It cost $100 AUD but I have had 2 scripts because I was on 15mg for 2 weeks and then the doctor upped the dose. She told me at the time of the appointment when she gave me the new script that it can take 3-6 months to see results. But I find this hard to believe? I know a lot of people who have been on it and all have said that the same day they started they struggled to eat. Im 7 weeks in and dont even have an effect let alone any results. And no i don't think medical scripts give refunds.
    Also i havnt been told anything about a generic brand, they usually offer the generic brand for whatever you're getting when you hand the script in.

When I took phentermine (with fenfluramine) I felt the results right away. It was a long time ago, but I would say closer to 3 days than 3 months. But possibly the first day. I had lots of energy and dry mouth right away.

I wouldn't take it again and do not recommend it. See this other person's experience:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed phentermine and had success. It is a tool, which can be a blessing if it works for you. For others a curse, as there can be side effects for some people.

Since I moved I can’t get the prescription here which is incredibly frustrating as I was on a plan and now just need to refill my prescription. Anyway, without this tool the only option is Counting calories alone. I hope you figure out what the issue is. For a lot of people phentermine just isn’t the right tool.