Options
2»

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    she's using my slow rate of loss to justify her negative thinking

Uhh. You’re losing one pound a week. That’s not really slow by any reasonable standards, imo. Good for you on keeping your head on straight and focusing on your own sensible plan!

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    @ChrissyChickie, Thanks for the reply! :D So far, this plan seems to be working for me and I like variety (and the food, of course ;p)

@hipari, Yeah, I think she's comparing my loss to the 'lose weight quick' schemes. While my rate is slower than some, it's definitely more sensible for me :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,101 Member
    Options
    Not on my end, though my mom is a certified narcissist. She gets weird when I succeed in losing weight. When I got started on this track, she kept trying to have me drive her places when I was supposed to meet people at the gym or would order a dozen donuts and keep them on my work desk (working at home, at the moment) for days at a time. Same with pizza. Honestly, I just try to ignore her most of the time, but it's a little harder now that she lives close by.

My dad is supportive, but from a conversation with him earlier today I get the impression that she's been telling him unrealistic scenarios related to weight loss, such as suggesting that I won't want to be around him or that I'll end up with an obsessive relationship to food/exercise. Neither are true, but I think that's why he's got a lot of questions/concerns lately.

Having thought on it, I think I'll have a talk with him about it and show him some of the resources that I'm basing all of this on, that way he's not worried and reiterate that I just need him to support my efforts and trust that I know what I'm doing. And I'll continue ignoring my mom, of course lol

If your dad is supportive, and not the kind of guy who'd worry you'd lie to him, can you use your conversations with your doctor as part of encouraging him to understand that you're on a good track?

I admit I didn't have parents in the audience (I'm old, they're gone), but "I've talked with my doctor about my pan, and he's happy with it" was an excellent shut-down for friends and other relatives who wanted me to change course during weight loss.

I think your overall plan about talking with your dad is a really good one. If he generally wants to support you, then it seems like an excellent approach to take the time to outline your thought process, resources you've relied on for info, and your plan in more comprehensive detail, so he can understand better that you've done your homework, and are on a healthy, well-thought-out course.

Because you are!

(Nice work. 😉)
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I personally think that you're on the right track when it comes to changing your lifestyle to something better. Weight loss is a fraction of the entire goal. What matters is that you're active and eating right.
    Your parents hearts are in the right place for sure. Have they going with you to witness what you're doing? Maybe the unknown is what is creating this in them
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @ChrissyChickie, Thanks for the reply! :D So far, this plan seems to be working for me and I like variety (and the food, of course ;p)

@hipari, Yeah, I think she's comparing my loss to the 'lose weight quick' schemes. While my rate is slower than some, it's definitely more sensible for me :)

Sweetie, if this is working for you, you just keep doing it. You are losing weight and you are enjoying the food and exercise you are doing. You are on a plan which 1) you are successful with and 2) you enjoy. Just keep at it, keep your chin up and you will get there. Have fun and enjoy yourself. So many people look towards the end goal and say 'I'll be happy when I'm at ###', etc. Enjoy your entire journey!! You've got this!!