Boosting Metabolism

Options
Hello mfp friends, hopefully you can share some advice. My hubby and I are both trying our best to lose weight. My husband can take off weight pretty easy. I on the other hand am taking weight off so incredibly slow. I'm 5'8 and currently 260lbs. I'm 52 and have not gone through menopause (I'm sure hormones probably play a factor). I'm watching what I eat on a daily basis. I follow IF almost everyday. My calorie ranges from anywhere from 1200 to 1900 a day. I do light weight lifting and walking on a daily basis. I'm lucky if I take off 1lb a week. Many weeks I take off nothing. I know I am putting on muscle, but this is getting nutty. Any suggestions of how I can boost my metabolism and lose weight faster? Thank you.

Replies

• ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is a perfectly fine rate of loss, why do you think faster is better?

Oh, I would be happy if the 1lb a week was regular and consistent; however most weeks I don't take off anything at all. The 1lb a week is if I'm lucky/fortunate.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    sbwohpjjx3kz.png

Ok, so probably I'm still eating too much I guess.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Are you weighing everything and making sure the information is correct in MFP?
    How many lbs did you set yourself to lose in MFP?

How long have you been dieting/exercising? Do you follow IF because it’s easier for you to track calories or for some other reason?

What is your activity level in MFP? Personally, I’ve had great results with sedentary (I have a desk job) and then adding in my exercise (walking, weights, cardio) separately. I also err on the side of underestimating my calorie burn during said exercise so I don’t think I’ve burned more than I have.

Thanks. Well, I have been dieting on and off for years. I came back to really focus on losing weight since last August. I lost some, weight, then gained it back and have pretty much been stagnant. From last August until this August, I am exactly the same weight. I have lost about 34 lbs and kept that off though from my highest weight. I do log my food. I am pretty inactive behind the desk most of the time, other than when I'm walking my dogs or at the gym. For gym I just do light weights and walking (can't run yet). I do IF because it is easier for me to stop eating. I can't do the multiple little meals throughout the day. For some reason my brain trigger is off when I put food in my mouth. I just want to eat more and never get satisfied from little meals or snacks and then after eating a snack I'm even more hungry than before. So, it is just easier for me to eat 2 big meals per day.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hello mfp friends, hopefully you can share some advice. My hubby and I are both trying our best to lose weight. My husband can take off weight pretty easy. I on the other hand am taking weight off so incredibly slow. I'm 5'8 and currently 260lbs. I'm 52 and have not gone through menopause (I'm sure hormones probably play a factor). I'm watching what I eat on a daily basis. I follow IF almost everyday. My calorie ranges from anywhere from 1200 to 1900 a day. I do light weight lifting and walking on a daily basis. I'm lucky if I take off 1lb a week. Many weeks I take off nothing. I know I am putting on muscle, but this is getting nutty. Any suggestions of how I can boost my metabolism and lose weight faster? Thank you.

1200-1900 calorie range is pretty big...I'd pick something in the middle that you can stick with more or less consistently. 1200 is very aggressive and overly aggressive for many and can be difficult to be consistent with. 1900 is closer to an average maintenance calorie target for most women unless they are pretty active. My guess would be that your range is ultimately leaving you with a very small deficit for the week which is going to be difficult to see on the scale as it can easily be masked by normal fluctuations. I know when I set myself up for 1/2 Lb per week loss it usually takes me 4-6 weeks to actually see that trend due to normal fluctuations.

There really isn't any way to boost your basal metabolism...it is what it is outside of putting on muscle mass...but even then, you're talking about pretty small increases to basal metabolism unless you're really packing on mass like a body builder. The only way to increase metabolism overall is to increase physical activity and exercise.

As life would have it, most people have a finite amount of time for dedicated exercise...I know I do. So I have strategies to increase my overall NEAT...I take the stairs when I go to my office...I take the scenic route when I need to use the restroom or go to the break room to get water and such...I park further away from my office building and forgo that "rock star" parking when I go to the store...I get up every hour just to move a little...I get up and go talk to colleagues rather than emailing them or buzzing them on the phone, etc. All that little stuff may seem insignificant, but it adds up.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do need to get up and move more. I tend to sit on my romp most of the day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options

1200-1900 calorie range is pretty big...I'd pick something in the middle that you can stick with more or less consistently. 1200 is very aggressive and overly aggressive for many and can be difficult to be consistent with. 1900 is closer to an average maintenance calorie target for most women unless they are pretty active. My guess would be that your range is ultimately leaving you with a very small deficit for the week which is going to be difficult to see on the scale as it can easily be masked by normal fluctuations. I know when I set myself up for 1/2 Lb per week loss it usually takes me 4-6 weeks to actually see that trend due to normal fluctuations.

There really isn't any way to boost your basal metabolism...it is what it is outside of putting on muscle mass...but even then, you're talking about pretty small increases to basal metabolism unless you're really packing on mass like a body builder. The only way to increase metabolism overall is to increase physical activity and exercise.

As life would have it, most people have a finite amount of time for dedicated exercise...I know I do. So I have strategies to increase my overall NEAT...I take the stairs when I go to my office...I take the scenic route when I need to use the restroom or go to the break room to get water and such...I park further away from my office building and forgo that "rock star" parking when I go to the store...I get up every hour just to move a little...I get up and go talk to colleagues rather than emailing them or buzzing them on the phone, etc. All that little stuff may seem insignificant, but it adds up.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do need to get up and move more. I tend to sit on my romp most of the day.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    I agree with wolfman.

If you are certain that your logging is accurate...here's the How To link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Not using a food scale and not using the correct/accurate food items in the database could conceivably wipe out what you think is a calorie deficit on any given day, therefore negating weight loss.

But what wolfman says is spot on.

1200 or 1900 is a very large swing and will continue to thwart you.

I'd suggest you set your calorie goal manually at 1500. On exercise days (not weightlifting days) I'd suggest you add 200-300 more calories when you exercise at a moderate rate for an hour. Weightlifting really doesn't burn as many calories (plus you're not doing it non-stop for an hour.)

So on rest days eat 1500. On exercise days eat 1700-1900.

Get your protein up. Add in more fruit and vegetables. Profit.

Thank you very much. I will do this.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You are taller than me but for me 1900 would be over maintenance for a non-active day so it might just be you need to eat a bit less.

Harsh. :-)

My maintenance without exercise is round 1800 so to lose 1 pound a week I need to drop 3500 calories which I do by limiting my calories to 600 on three days a week. I then get another half a pound or so from exercise, walking 4 to 5 miles a day.

But some weeks I lose less than 1 pound, others I lose more than 2, even though my eating and walking is pretty consistent.

So have a calculate as I found doing that helped with my expectations.

And I have just gone through the menopause thing and I can honestly say it has made zero difference to my weight or my ability to lose it - so don't assume this is going to be an issue for you.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    You are taller than me but for me 1900 would be over maintenance for a non-active day so it might just be you need to eat a bit less.

Harsh. :-)

My maintenance without exercise is round 1800 so to lose 1 pound a week I need to drop 3500 calories which I do by limiting my calories to 600 on three days a week. I then get another half a pound or so from exercise, walking 4 to 5 miles a day.

But some weeks I lose less than 1 pound, others I lose more than 2, even though my eating and walking is pretty consistent.

So have a calculate as I found doing that helped with my expectations.

And I have just gone through the menopause thing and I can honestly say it has made zero difference to my weight or my ability to lose it - so don't assume this is going to be an issue for you.

Thank you for your response. I'm also glad to hear that menopause didn't hinder your weight loss! :smiley:
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    I agree with wolfman.

If you are certain that your logging is accurate...here's the How To link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Not using a food scale and not using the correct/accurate food items in the database could conceivably wipe out what you think is a calorie deficit on any given day, therefore negating weight loss.

But what wolfman says is spot on.

1200 or 1900 is a very large swing and will continue to thwart you.

I'd suggest you set your calorie goal manually at 1500. On exercise days (not weightlifting days) I'd suggest you add 200-300 more calories when you exercise at a moderate rate for an hour. Weightlifting really doesn't burn as many calories (plus you're not doing it non-stop for an hour.)

So on rest days eat 1500. On exercise days eat 1700-1900.

Get your protein up. Add in more fruit and vegetables. Profit.

Good advice thank you!
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

I just got around to looking at the thread you linked. This is good. I'm going to start implementing some of these.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Actually, metabolism may be increased by fasting. If you can try to stay without food for 16hrs, 20 hrs or even 24, 48, 72 hrs. it will boost metabolism and decrease you total calories consumption significantly. When your weight so high, you can fast many days without problems.
    Obviously, your problem with weight loss is not due to slow metabolism, (metabolism is complex of chemical reactions working to sustain life). The problem is in high insulin level in your blood. Overweight people very often have high insulin level, but doctors never prescribe this simple test. Ask your doc to order fasting insulin in your blood, but you have to pay for it from your pocket (may be $50). Insurance never covers this cost. This test will give you the real picture of your metabolic state. When insulin is in the blood, it stops any fat burning. Only fasting or ketogenic feeding, can give you low enough insulin. You may try for beginning dirty ketogenic diet, it may work too. Simply cut carbohydrates in your diet.
    If you aware, our pancreas has two types of cells:beta and alfa. Beta cells produce insulin, which shovels glucose in to the cells of the body. Only when no glucose in the blood (fasting state) your pancreas alfa cells produce glucogon the hormone which gives your liver signal to convert fat(body fat) in to ketone bodies and glucose, to be burn as energy. More possible, that your liver and pancreas gland are overflowed with fat and to start them working properly you have to burn fat in these organs first.