Help plz! So discouraged

Options
I’m so frustrated. I’m really hungry. I’m eating the amount of protein mfp suggests I eat, I’m drinking plenty of water. I try to eat 5 small meals a day. I’m eating raw fruits and veggies for snacks. But I never feel full. Work was hard today, and I told my mom I’d go help her with her cable after work. But I’m not looking forward to all the brain power it takes to figure out my 82 year old mother’s technology needs and then explain the new system to her. Certainly not after using all my brains at work today, and without a large fries. I’ve been tracking for 2 weeks and no weight change, I’m so frustrated — and I’m having a little pity party, i know.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    eduk80 wrote: »
    I’m so frustrated. I’m really hungry. I’m eating the amount of protein mfp suggests I eat, I’m drinking plenty of water. I try to eat 5 small meals a day. I’m eating raw fruits and veggies for snacks. But I never feel full. Work was hard today, and I told my mom I’d go help her with her cable after work. But I’m not looking forward to all the brain power it takes to figure out my 82 year old mother’s technology needs and then explain the new system to her. Certainly not after using all my brains at work today, and without a large fries. I’ve been tracking for 2 weeks and no weight change, I’m so frustrated — and I’m having a little pity party, i know.

I have failed at a lot of diets. The one that I failed at faster than all the others was the 6 meal a day diet. I was CONSTANTLY ravenous.

Whether your macros are wrong or you cannot handle the 5 meal a day plan you need to stop trying to force yourself down an unsustainable path. It is PERFECTLY okay for you to spend time experimenting with how to eat in a way that solves your hunger most of the time. You cannot be hungry all the time. It is miserable. Misery sucks the life out of us and it is definitely a weight loss killer.

Continue logging and eat some more. You will likely go over your calorie budget today but try not to go over by a huge number. Decide what you will do differently tomorrow. If you need ideas let us know.

You will be amazed at how much easier it all is when you eat the right way for yourself. You will still have bad days but then that happens even when we aren't trying to lose weight.

Keep coming back and asking for help.
  • dunza2
    dunza2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree you need enough fats! You also mentioned drinking plenty of water...how much do you consider plenty? Most individuals need about 100 oz per day. One additional thing to add, is make sure you are getting enough rest.
  • LMBelladonna
    LMBelladonna Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You mention eating raw fruits and vegetables. Are you getting enough fat? For me, if I don't get enough fat, I feel hungry all the time -- even if I'm technically getting enough to eat.

Also, is your calorie goal really low? That can also contribute to feelings of hunger.

Good question- are you getting enough fat? It has made a world of difference for me
  • kfarnworth2785
    kfarnworth2785 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well I just learned something about why I am having days of extreme hunger and I thought it was a good thing if I kept my fat intake lower than the suggested 30 of the 50/20/30. 🤦🤦🤦🤷 Progress not perfection! Glad to learn more though!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What is your weight loss target set at? If 2 pounds per week, try changing it to 1 or 1.5. That will give you an extra 500 or 250 calories per day to eat.

I have not altered the default MFP macro settings, but I don't consider them set in stone either. I tend to want to get enough protein - which for me is about 60-70g minimum. I try not to cut my fat TOO low. Beyond that, things fall where they fall. I am often over in fat and under in carbs. Not 'low carb' but not high carb either. Yesterday for example instead of 50/30/20 I was 33/44/23.

As to no weight loss in 2 weeks: this won't make you feel better, but you do need to have patience. If you are accurately and honestly logging all you consume and eating at a deficit, the weight loss will follow. But the human body is not a perfect machine. What you do today will benefit you tomorrow, but the scale may not show it yet. BUT consider this - what is the alternative? You had reasons to make a change. If you go back to the way you were eating/living before, those reasons will still be there. Try to think about 6 months from now. Option A is to keep going, tweaking your plan/program here & there as needed and you'll be healthier in 6 months. Option B is to give up, and in 6 months you'll likely be worse off than you are now.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Eating five times may not be allowing you to ever feel full. If I eat 3x a day with one snack, I am eating more each sitting and actually feel full and stop thinking about food