Suggestions of how to use nonfat plain yogurt

Options
tess77h
tess77h Posts: 40 Member
I've recieved several containers of nonfat plain yogurt but I don't know what to do with it. Looking for suggestions in how to use it before it expires.

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just mix it with some cottage cheese, protein powder, and splenda and I'm good to go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just eat it...usually with some blueberries or something.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    gdogus wrote: »
    Honestly, I use nonfat plain Greek yogurt in anything that calls for mayonnaise or sour cream, and watered down a little in anything that calls for regular cream. And yes, sometimes I just eat it by itself, or with a little lemon juice.

Yup. I use it this way too. It’s probably one of the food items i use the most. Here’s some common uses:
    - yogurt parfait, if you aren’t used to the flavour add fruit, honey or, maple syrup, and whatever toppings you’d want for a yogurt parfait (I like some shredded coconut too)
    - Use it in smoothies and over night oats
    - Crema (mix lime juice and spices of your choice), - “sour cream” topping for taco salad, perogies, mix with tuna or hard boiled eggs for sandwich’s
    - 1/2 c plain yogurt, 1/4 c peanut butter, 1/4 c honey and you have a great fruit dip
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Old school Weight Watchers recipe. Mix up a packet of sugar-free jello using 1 cup water. Then chill until it has an egg white texture. Whip jello into plain yogurt and chill. It has a nice fluffy layer: https://simple-nourished-living.com/2-ingredient-creamy-jello-yogurt-fluff/

Some interesting things here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-yogurt

Yogurt can be frozen too. Like sour cream the texture might not be great, but it's still a good add-in for baked goods or smoothies.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Old school Weight Watchers recipe. Mix up a packet of sugar-free jello using 1 cup water. Then chill until it has an egg white texture. Whip jello into plain yogurt and chill. It has a nice fluffy layer: https://simple-nourished-living.com/2-ingredient-creamy-jello-yogurt-fluff/

Some interesting things here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-yogurt

Yogurt can be frozen too. Like sour cream the texture might not be great, but it's still a good add-in for baked goods or smoothies.

Ohhhh how could I forget mixing in just the sugar free fat free jello powder or sugar free fat free pudding mix?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use it as a topping for baked potato or sweet potato, or as a base for dip(just mix in dry soup or dip mix). It's also good with protein powder stirred in.
  • tess77h
    Options
    Thank you all so much, lots of ideas here!
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Well, if the trash bag isn't heavy enough, the yogurt could be used to weight it down a little bit.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Just a variation on some of the other themes, but another way I like it is mixed with PB2 chocolate peanut butter powder, and frozen berries, for a tasty frozen dessert-esque food that's still nutrient dense and quite low calorie.

I buy 3 pound tubs of the stuff routinely just for me, and use it in most of the ways listed above. (The majority goes into my daily oatmeal.)
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I don't like being without it in the house! I mix it with fruit but also sometimes with veggies (think of it as a sour cream substitute), cook and bake with it, stir it into my morning oatmeal instead of milk (I don't keep milk in the house), etc. You can mix protein powder and cacao powder and anything else into it for a smoothie-like thing that is thick enough to eat with a spoon. For savory, it's great with cumin stirred into it.
  • tess77h
    Options
    Well, if the trash bag isn't heavy enough, the yogurt could be used to weight it down a little bit.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ha! :) My granddaughter told me she was going to feed it to her dog, he loves yogurt.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I made this cheesecake recipe (just the filling) using fat free yoghurt and it's amazing
    https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/greek-yogurt-cheesecake/
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    When I make baked macaroni pie, I tend to use plain, sugar-free, lactose-free Greek yogurt, or skyr instead of milk. I find it's creamier even though I only buy 0% so it's likely all in my head.

Otherwise, I generally eat it like... yogurt. Yesterday's concoction was skyr topped with Smart Bran cereal, sliced peaches, and some organic ginger juice.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    If you like a 'thick' cream (like Skyr or Greek yogurt varieties), put it in some cheesecloth 'suspended' in a bowl and leave in fridge over night - the next day you'll get a super cream/thick product...yum yum!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

In an era where we should all be concerned with reducing food waste it makes me sad to see this.

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I often mash a banana and mix that with the yoghurt. Works pretty nicely as a snack just like that, or add some extra stuff like blueberries or granola in there.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

In an era where we should all be concerned with reducing food waste it makes me sad to see this.

Pretty sure he was making a funny. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    And plain nonfat yogurt is my new go-to food, to the point of eating a quart a day. I absolutely love it! I have about a cup, with a bit of sugar-free maple syrup drizzled over the top, for around 100-110 cal. It's delicious and has replaced my cravings for ice cream.
    I will be trying the sugar-free jello idea though. I did try instant sugar free pudding(pistachio) and it was just okay for me.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I use it for making ranch dressing as a partial replacement for mayo and sour cream. I water it down and use it like buttermilk for marinating chicken or fish before breading and baking because in the UK yoghurt is easier to find than buttermilk. Tzaziki.