Feels impossible to eat only 1200 calories!!

Options
13»

Replies

• gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have shifted my meal times to late morning, mid afternoon and early evening.

Also, as I find it easier to be hungry during the day, I try to eat on the lighter side for breakfast and lunch. Then, I have enough calories for dinner and perhaps a snack later.

One thing that has helped is getting in the frame of mind that being hungry sometimes is a normal part of life. That's why I shifted my meal times and quantities as I can tolerate hunger during the day better than getting to evening and realizing I have 300 calories left.
  • deepsea117
    deepsea117 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It feels nearly impossible to only eat 1240 calories a day! I am getting frustrated and have hit a plateau for a couple months. My BMR is 1656 calories and this app tells me that if I want to lose 20 lbs, than I only can eat approx 1200 cals a day. What do I eat?! Please help :(

There's a difference between eating 1240 calories a day, and netting 1240 calories a day.

Don't go by BMR, that's tough to do early on if you haven't done the proper steps first. Go by RMR. I did exactly that. Now I'm netting 1200 calories or less a day.
    Today I ATE 1368 calories. But...I exercised 268 calories, which gives me a NET of 1100 calories.

Don't let others tell you what you can't do. This is very possible.
    My RMR: 2150
    February: 1850 net (eaten and burned.)
    April: 1600 net
    May: 1475 net

Now I consistently net between 1200 down to 1000. (Yesterday was 1100.) And my energy, strength, and endurance are up!

I go rucking at a speed-walk pace and do quick half-mile sessions carrying a 30lb backpack. I do several bodyweight exercises daily, and work with resistance bands. I also just walk 15-20 minutes a day with that backpack. Sometimes an hour if a mall is open.

Now when I walk without the backpack: Easily a few hours without tiring. Rucking is very easy to pick up and to do. It's almost stupidly easy. Rucking is cardio and strength training like jogging but without the impact. That will easily burn 200 calories in 15 minutes.

You can do this. Start higher at RMR -200 calories, and gradually increase the deficit. Your stomach will shrink and your body will burn efficiently with the increased activity when you eat the right food!
  • deepsea117
    Options
    This is a 17-minute ruck using MapMyFitness. Just a last-minute walk before the mall closed. Easily 750-800 calories in an hour. You should try it and link it to your MFP account:

6qtv94oewjoi.png
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't even carry 30 pounds when I backpack. The key to exercise is to find something you enjoy or at least doesn't make you miserable.
  • annecantfindausername
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen meatballs- higher protein, only a couple hundred calories, and will make me not-hungry for a few hours. Also looong walks-- burns time and calories, relaxing and doesnt make me super hungry the way running would. Also im probably closer to BMR calories a couple days a week-- around 1500-- those aren't weight-loss days, but make it less of a slog (though slow), and make me less likely to get frustrated and order a pizza
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the oddball out here, as I usually am, and say, that is because 1200 calories is just not enough. Sure, in theory, you could do it... You could eat lower cal high density foods but would you actually be satisfied and living a full life? I highly doubt it. You are beating yourself up over something your body is screaming at you is not enough. Listen to it. It might be time to increase your calories a bit more. Look into IIFYM and Eat more to weigh less. Also, you may not be accounting for the extra calories your body is using in activity.... And it needs more. Eating less and less and less just makes your body adjust it's metabolism, slowing it down and thus making it harder to lose weight.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I can’t be happy long term at 1200 calories, it isn’t enough for me and if I’m not happy then I binge and say screw it and that defeats the purpose. I’m now at 1300 calories (1 pound/week) and I’m going to try it for a few days and see how I feel, I think that will be too low as well.

You can lower your weight loss goal to 1/2 lb a week and/or you can exercise more (even a short walk is better than nothing). MFP is designed for you to “eat back” your exercise calories.

But it is important, especially at the beginning, to weigh your food at the beginning so you know what you are actually eating. What our eyes and stomachs say is one serving of Doritos is not usually close to what the package says. Having a scale helps us learn the proper serving size so we can count our calories more accurately and help us better estimate when we need to.
  • deepsea117
    Options
    Haha...I'm calling out you who disagree.

Tell me. Would you prefer the OP keep trying to eat -ONLY- 1200 calories? 😂

That's the OP's goal, I showed how to reach that goal SAFELY and without feeling too hungry. Don't like the OP eating 1200 calories...take it up with the OP.

In fact, show me your progress/numbers l, and I'll show you mine. Here's my log for yesterday. I got ~150 grams carbs, ~75 grams protein, ~50 fat, all vitamins and minerals ~100%. Sodium was at ~2300mg, fiber at 38 grams. I can even send you my meals if you can handle it. 😆

Here's a screen shot from yesterday's diary. This is 1100 net calories after eating 1368 calories for the day. If that's not within your capabilities, fine. Stay within your limits. 😏

The -OP- said what they're trying to accomplish in the title.

99chssmdyzld.png
  • blue_eyed_fi
    blue_eyed_fi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. I am only 5ft3 and so don't really need big portions. I also exercise daily and eat back 50% of my calories. I am happy to lose .5lb a week but I haven't much to lose. I find weighing really helps as you know where you stand. Filling up on low calorie veg, salad etc...helps as does substituting low calorie versions of all condiments like mayonnaise etc... I always have a treat like a low calorie chocolate mousse, square of dark chocolate or a small wine each evening as I prefer to see this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet so a little of everything is my preference rather than banning any food. Everything in moderation
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot about reviewing your meal choices. On an average day I'll have cereal for breakfast, yoghurt and fruit or something like a veggie omelette for lunch, and then some kind of lean protein with loads of veggies for dinner. If I'm still peckish in the evening I'll have a small snack. I find it's pretty easy with this to stay under 1200 (often I'm under 1000 but if I'm not still hungry then I won't eat more for the sake of it).

One or two days a week I'll have something more carby like pots or pasta. This can occasionally take me over but if I never have them then the cravings get to me so I work them in and it averages out. In the same vein, nothing is 'banned' so if I want a treat I'll have it but keep it in moderation.