Curving Cravings

Options
Cravings! Chocolate is my weakness.. No matter how well I do, I still have something chocolate everyday! Somedays I really crave other things. What's your trick to curving those cravings?!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yup, there's nothing wrong with eating a bit of chocolate every day, as long as it fits in your calories and doesn't crowd out other stuff you need. Yum!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Eat them but eat them in moderation so they fit into your calorie goals.

Just because you have decided to lose weight does not mean that you have to completely eliminate certain foods.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It depends on the craving and the source. If I can moderate it and fit enough of a portion into my calories I just eat it. If it would require some planning to make it fit I make myself wait.

One thing to keep cravings down is to keep the food you might crave out of sight. If you have a bowl of chocolates sitting on your kitchen counter you are going to be tempted to eat them more. That is not to say that having some chocolate is bad but you don't want to be tempted to eat it each time you see it. That just makes things harder than they need to be.

The other thing is to figure out if you have linked a food item with an activity or a particular way you might feel. Do you crave chocolate when you watch a certain TV show? At a particular time of day? During a time of stress? It is important to identify any triggers so you can be aware of them. Again, that is not to say that having some chocolate is bad but you don't want to have a craving because of a pattern of behavior. You want to be in control as much as possible. I like to have a piece of chocolate with my coffee but I don't have to have one. I can go weeks without any and never crave it. That means I am making a decision to have some with a coffee one day instead of just doing it out of habit.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate.
    Every day I have a small square of chocolate as a treat for staying in my calorie budget. I look forward to that small piece of chocolate every evening, and savor it slowly. It’s usually 40 calories, so not a problem saving calories. I cut back on all foods I like. Moderation and portion control works well for me.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Laziness is like brain magic for me.

Loved that... I think it works well for me too😄

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I get the craving for salty treats, potato chips mostly. I tend to not ever open a bag because I know what will happen. Popcorn usually satisfies me enough (or distracts me) to avoid devouring a bag.
  • CarolRo1
    CarolRo1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Salty snacks for me too. I sometimes wonder if the root cause is a deficiency in something but I think I just like chips/crisps
  • Miss_Missy_Bee
    Miss_Missy_Bee Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    What did you crave today?

There are alternatives!! My OMAD choice of the day was edamame pasta. Not fricken bad!

Have you tried it?
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    @Miss_Missy I haven't tried edamame pasta, but I had red lentil rotini this week. Very filling and yummy! Tonight, I'm trying chickpea pasta.
    I find it best to work a craving into my 1200 daily calories.