Bloating

Options
Is there any advice or diets for bloating ?

I’ve tried gluten free for 2 weeks and dairy free for two weeks (separately) And have been unsuccessful in finding my bloating trigger. Some days I’m completely flat on my belly and other days I look about 5 months pregnant.

I drink lots of water (about 8-10 cups a day) and sometimes I could eat carbs etc and I won’t have any bloating and other days it’s the total opposite.

(I also do Shaun T’s workouts 6 days a week since March )

Anyone else go through this ?

Replies

• Queen_J
    Queen_J Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you !
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You may also want to try some things like Beano.

Basically, you actually don't eat all your food. Gut bacteria eats some of it and many times they produce gas as a by product. This gas can cause bloating and you guessed it: farts.

So, products that prevent farts due so by preventing the gas build up in the first place.

Also, what Suzy said. You may have some allergy/intolerance to a specific food common in your diet.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have been both dairy free and gluten free at the same time but didn't find out what was causing kw tibbooat and have inflammation in my intestines until I did low-Fodmap for a couple months.

There might be other things that are causing your intestinal irritations. Plus it takes a full 6-8 weeks for your intestines to heal on that diet. After that, when you try to reintroduce a food not on the diet you will know immediately whether it causes a reaction, or within 24 hours. For example: I can no longer eat mushrooms without bloating and intestinal problems. I didn't know that previously. I probably just lumped it in with my regular lactose intolerance and assumed I ate something I shouldn't have.

Trust me that the low FODMAP diet is the best for reducing bloat. It's a little difficult to get used to, but the results are worth it.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Something in my reply didn't get spelled correctly and I have no idea what I was trying to write based on what was produced! I think my overall message is clear.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I second the above poster: low FODMAP diet is something worth looking into. It has helped me a lot with my stomach issues. But like most resources you can find on the internet say about low FODMAP, you should talk to your health care provider before trying it out, because it's such a restrictive diet.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Thirding low FODMAP diet here. I also agree to talk with a healthcare professional, and also remember how it’s supposed to be used: eliminate them all for a while (this is pretty restrictive), and then start re-introducing one by one so you can see what your actual triggers are.

Example: I have a good friend who’s also on low FODMAP, but we have slightly different triggers: my triggers are rye, barley, wheat, beetroot, chickpea and lentils. Her triggers are wheat, barley, pitted fruit (peach, apples etc), soy and some other stuff I can’t remember. We can both eat many of the ”restricted” fodmap items like onions and garlic. We both avoid our own triggers but not the other ones, and it’s enough to adhere to our respective restrictions most of the time, so we can actually handle the occasional baked treat with wheat.