Do we really need weight loss goals?

Options
When I tell people I am on here they often say "That's great! How much do you want to lose?" and I'm like... I dunno... I just want to be healthier and feel better.

I don't really like attaching a number to my journey because I don't really know how I will feel at any given point on the scale. I do weigh myself regularly and it does feel good when the numbers are going down, but I've not got an end in sight. I just want to do this until my body feels right - which currently, it definitely doesn't. I feel unhealthy and overweight.

So I guess I do have a goal but it's a lot more vague than a number on the scale... because it's more about the journey!

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'd been a bit chunky all my life so I didn't know what a realistic goal was for me. Years ago I joined WW and after 4 or 5 months of really following the plan my weight stabilized. Since it was in the healthy range that became my goal weight. It's my goal weight again.
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Options
    Starting a new program/diet/life style can be exciting and in the past when I was excited, I made 10 goals, in all areas and aspects of my life; all will change now with this thing.
    But then something happened at home, or work , some bad days, bad news, bad scale days. When I was down, the plan was overwhelming and I gave up most targets, then all of them.
    Feeling good is an excellent target, but personally I need something measurable too, just to see that I’m going there. Walking for 15 minutes for a week and then increase, going to bed 10 min earlier, brushing my teeth at 10 and no food after. These were my small targets but they made me feel better and my calendar was full of achieved stickers, although these days the goals are bigger.
    Experiment and see what works for you , have fun and results will come.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I had an initial goal that put me in the middle of healthy BMI. Soon after I reached it, we went in to lockdown, I no longer had an endless supply of snacks on hand as I wasn't in the office plus I was out doing a longer brisk walk every day and I suddenly dropped another couple of kg - which was a step too far. I was still in the healthy range, but towards the bottom end of it and I needed to ensure I didn't go any further.

I'd be inclined to have an idea of roughly where you want to get to, but know what your lower limit is - otherwise, where do you stop?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    my goal is very approximate; it would leave me at a higher than average BMI, but then part of my goal is to develop much more muscle than average, so it should work out. if it doesn't, i can always change it. that's the joy of the MFP goal - you could change it every day if you wanted to.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My goal weight is just enough to nudge me into the healthy BMI. Once I get there I’ll see how it goes.

I’m not currently counting calories instead I eat in a fashion that I deem to be healthy as well as maintainable and exercise in a fashion I deem to be maintainable and kind of curious to see what weight that lifestyle will get me to. I know this approach isn’t for everyone and I might change in the future but for now it’s a good low pressure idea and I’m steadily losing at an appropriate rate.

My mindset is to find a maintainable goal weight rather than an ultimate number on the scale.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you are happy without a specific weight number goal then you are doing it right for you. I like to have a goal weight to work for, it helps me stay focused.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 430 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I basically picked a number out of thin air, which I thought would at least feel good when I stepped on the scale. When I reached it I was like 'oh, but seriously, I've got plenty left to go yet'! I have realised I need to lift heavy whatever the number on the scale says if I want to feel really good about myself. But not sure about going back to the gym yet :/
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I like being able to measure my progress in numbers. I measure it in other ways too but for me it is helpful/motivational to have a goal weight and see the number on the scale getting closer.
  • Spicy_Bao_Bae
    Spicy_Bao_Bae Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm completely in agreement. When I was younger I wanted to acheive a certain weight, which I now know was a near unattainable goal. I am 5' 9" and 335lbs. I know that I want to get at least to 200lbs for my health but thats as far as I can say for sure. After that, it's about acheiving a certain feel and satisfaction with my body. Even if you can't say for sure how much you want to lose, nobody can argue with being healthier and happier.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    When I tell people I am on here they often say "That's great! How much do you want to lose?" and I'm like... I dunno... I just want to be healthier and feel better.

I don't really like attaching a number to my journey because I don't really know how I will feel at any given point on the scale. I do weigh myself regularly and it does feel good when the numbers are going down, but I've not got an end in sight. I just want to do this until my body feels right - which currently, it definitely doesn't. I feel unhealthy and overweight.

So I guess I do have a goal but it's a lot more vague than a number on the scale... because it's more about the journey!

What are your thoughts?

In the abstract, a weight goal is 100% optional. Nothing about the weight loss process needs to be different based on goal weight. (That said, someone getting into normal BMI range would be well served by losing more slowly than someone who's still quite obese, and a sensible weight loss rate generally has some interdependency with current body weight.) The only major thing a goal weight tells you is when to stop losing.

That said, some people are motivated by having a goal, or a series of smaller goals. That's pretty individual.

If you don't need a weight goal for motivation, there's no reason you should have one, as long as you keep your loss rate sensible for your current stats, IMO.

Personally, I set a provisional goal weight not for any grand motivational reason, but just to have a rough approximation of where I was going (for use in my weight trending app, in MFP, in talking with my doctor, etc.). I wasn't super committed to it, and planned to re-evaluate. (In my case, it was around 5-10 pounds above where I'd been happy earlier in life, because "everybody says you should weigh a little more when you're older". 😆)

When I got close, I could tell it wasn't quite right, and I adjusted downward a couple of times as I went along, finally ending up with some benchmark ideas of how I'd look/feel when I was at the right weight. I literally got up one morning, decided I was there, and started trying to dial in maintenance calories. (It turned out to be right around the weight where I'd been happy almost 40 years earlier. 😆)

As with many things, I think there's no one right answer that works for everyone.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I quit weighing myself and just focusing on being healthier. Hitting my calorie goal every day, so the end result should be fat loss. I dont tell me people Im dieting. People have asked if I have lost weight. I honestly tell i dont have a clue since I dont weigh myself. I really enjoy lifting weight and trying to get stronger and faster. Physically getting strong also helps me be mentally strong.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think the way that you are thinking about it makes sense. Down the road you may want something more concrete. If what you are doing is working for you, stick with it!

In the past I have self-sabotaged when I got too caught up with the numbers, whether it is the number on the scale, total amount lost, too many comments from people (positive and negative). Whatever. So I have to focus on what is going to keep me on track.

I like readIng the Success Stories: What mini-goal is motivating you? thread on MFP. I really want to post something. But my journey isn’t like that. Mini-goals don’t motivate me; they make me obsessive in a bad way. Since I am eating healthy and exercising, milestones are going down a pants size.
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started with the goal to get off medication. I was really not expecting what it would do to my mental state. The food I was eating was making me depressed and caught in a vicious cycle of food and weight gain.
  • RidiriH
    RidiriH Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It all depends on if how people are phrasing their interest in your journey is making you feel bad about yourself and your goals. Sometimes people just need to be educated sweetly and gently. If your goal is not a number and they ask, “How much do you want to lose?” you could answer, “I’m working on losing 50% of my guilt” or “Actually I’m trying to gain 30% more confidence in how I feel “ or some other answer you enjoy! I know one lady who has a hard time talking to me about something we’re both interested in so her standard comment is, “You look good! Have you lost more weight?” She’s just trying to be polite in her way, so I usually answer, “The way I’m feeling now is so amazing!” or something. I respond politely, but on my terms and what’s important to me. Then we can both feel happy that we “talked”! 😂
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'll know my goal weight when I see it in the mirror, not on the scale.