Protein

Options
How is it possible to get in 220 grams of protein a day from just diet how is it possible to eat so much I can't get past 120 on a good day

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    first, what is your daily overall calorie budget? unless you're a serious bodybuilder, i can't imagine why you'd need to eat 220 grams of protein per day, which would be 880 calories from protein alone. you could eat non-fat yogurt and stuff like that, but most food when eaten in such large amounts would add fat or carbs or lots of sodium.

the easiest way to get lots of protein with no added fat or carbs would be to get a whey protein isolate protein powder with no additives, mix it with water, and drink it several times per day.

these are a couple that i use and like
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAW6YU1/
    and
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0177EV7E4/

btw, i'd be sure i don't have liver issues before consuming that much protein!
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have found it difficult to consistently hit my protein goals. I've had to do some experimenting to find foods that are protein dense, low(er) in fat, and don't give me stomach problems.

While I am in the process of finding dietary protein sources, I've been using a whey protein isolate as a supplement.

One thing I'm experimenting with now is Greek yogurt. Tons of protein and very little else if you get the fat free stuff. Doesn't taste great, but it thickens up smoothies nicely.
  • johnbhusted
    johnbhusted Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm in a bit of the same boat. . .hit my weight goal, now ready to start putting weight back on where *I* want it as muscle, rather than where my body wants it as fat.

So even doing the "0.8g per lb of body weight" puts me in the 145g per day of protein range.

I've done the protein powder thing, but to me it smells *exactly* like the milk replacer we feed bottle calves, and I just can't choke that down.

Past week I've had two (2) days with north of 130g, but those were offset by days below 100. . .
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Get an amino acid supplement. I drink them every morning, and intra-workout. I still get as much protein from food as possible, but the amino's are a great way to supplement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    How is it possible to get in 220 grams of protein a day from just diet how is it possible to eat so much I can't get past 120 on a good day

How did you arrive at 220? Are you using the "1 gram per pound of bodyweight" idea that some bodybuilding sites like, or something else? (I'm not criticizing that goal, BTW, just asking how you arrived at it.)

As asked above, what's your calorie goal?

I'm only getting something over 100g daily in maintenance, and finding it straightforward even as a vegetarian, but I'm only 5'5"/128 pounds so I don't figure I need more than that, personally, and I can get it on my 1850+exercise (low 2000s gross calories eaten most days, and some over-1850+ days thrown in as 1850 is a bit below my actual maintenance). I don't find protein powder or bars tasty or satisfying (nor commercial faux meats), so I don't eat them - just food.

A thing that helps as a vegetarian, that may also help omnivores, is to review your diary, and look for foods that "cost" a lot of calories, but don't give you much protein. Think about whether you could reduce or eliminate those, and eat something else with more protein that you also enjoy eating. (The link MaltedTea suggested is great for that.)

A second vegetarian thing, is to think about getting small bits of protein from varied foods - go beyond the "one big protein per meal" idea. Little bits through the day can add up. There are snacks with more protein, veggies with more protein than others, grains/breads with more protein, etc.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Milk, fish, eggs, almonds, black beans, corn, hemp seeds, yoghurt, and whey protein supplements.

For breakfast, two eggs and a bowl of oats with a tablespoon of Hemp seed and whey protein will be around 40 to 50 grams of protein.

Also, protein snacks throughout the day. Yoghurt, protein shakes, protein bars, etc.
  • GlynIrish
    GlynIrish Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good reply I do find it hard to keep fat down when upping protein but I'm working on it
    Just back after previously losing 60 lbs last year so want to start losing the last 20 now
    MFP has given me 2150 calories a day
    I'm currently eating by macros
    I weigh 214 lbs I'm 5.11 34 years old
    Feel free to add me and check out my diary if there is anything that should be treeked or removed
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have to plan all my meals and snacks around protein. Breakfast is nearly always plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and berries. Usually 40-50 grams of protein for breakfast (my daily protein goal is 180 grams). If I had something like pancakes for breakfast, I'd never make it. Lunch is usually chicken breast (I smoke a bunch on Sundays), either in a salad or a wrap or with a veggie side. Snacks are protein bars or Quest protein chips. Dinner is whatever the family is having. Then, if I still need to top off on protein, Halo Top for dessert.

ETA: Ok, I peeped your diary. Just for the last 4 days. Today's breakfast was good, but the others were lacking in protein. I love oatmeal for breakfast, but if I have it I mix in protein powder. If you had a breakfast like today, and then your meals you show the previous days, you should be getting close. Make sure breakfast is protein-packed and I bet you'll be getting close. You may need to add in a quick protein shake during the day, as well.
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    I have to plan all my meals and snacks around protein. Breakfast is nearly always plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and berries. Usually 40-50 grams of protein for breakfast (my daily protein goal is 180 grams). If I had something like pancakes for breakfast, I'd never make it. Lunch is usually chicken breast (I smoke a bunch on Sundays), either in a salad or a wrap or with a veggie side. Snacks are protein bars or Quest protein chips. Dinner is whatever the family is having. Then, if I still need to top off on protein, Halo Top for dessert.

ETA: Ok, I peeped your diary. Just for the last 4 days. Today's breakfast was good, but the others were lacking in protein. I love oatmeal for breakfast, but if I have it I mix in protein powder. If you had a breakfast like today, and then your meals you show the previous days, you should be getting close. Make sure breakfast is protein-packed and I bet you'll be getting close. You may need to add in a quick protein shake during the day, as well.

Thank you for that good info I appreciate it
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thanks for letting me see your food diary. I have trouble getting enough protein and you've given me some ideas. I also like real food but will probably start adding protein powder to oatmeal and yogurt.
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    tnh2o wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Thanks for letting me see your food diary. I have trouble getting enough protein and you've given me some ideas. I also like real food but will probably start adding protein powder to oatmeal and yogurt.

Same as must pick up some protein powder also
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I think that's a great idea, but want to clarify for the record that tnh2o may've gotten ideas from my diary (open to friends, not public) for vegetarian protein strategies, but the "protein powder in oatmeal" idea wasn't one of them.

I think it's a fine food/supplement in the abstract, but don't need it to hit my protein goals personally, and since I generally don't find it tasty/satisfying, I don't bother buying it.

Nothing against others using it, though, if they do find it helpful/needful, tasty, and/or satisfying. Nutrition is the key goal here, and if the powders help, go for it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good reply I do find it hard to keep fat down when upping protein but I'm working on it
    Just back after previously losing 60 lbs last year so want to start losing the last 20 now
    Feel free to add me and check out my diary if there is anything that should be treeked or removed
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Protein is 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight or .8-1g/lb of lbm. You probably need around 140-160g of protein. I am similar stats but 168 and i aim for around 160-170g a day. I eat a lot of meat and dairy.

Lifterofheavystuff - so your protein macro is set to 40%, which is higher than it needs to be, making your protein goal hard to reach.

If you set it to 25 or 30% you will be in the the 140-160 gram range psuLemon mentioned above.
  • GlynIrish
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Protein is 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight or .8-1g/lb of lbm. You probably need around 140-160g of protein. I am similar stats but 168 and i aim for around 160-170g a day. I eat a lot of meat and dairy.

Lifterofheavystuff - so your protein macro is set to 40%, which is higher than it needs to be, making your protein goal hard to reach.

If you set it to 25 or 30% you will be in the the 140-160 gram range psuLemon mentioned above.

Thanks for that how does 30 cárb 30 protein 40 fat sound or should I swap the 40 for carbs
    I'm new to macros so I'm just learning
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks for that how does 30 cárb 30 protein 40 fat sound or should I swap the 40 for carbs
    I'm new to macros so I'm just learning

Carbs and fats should be based on satiety. Hit your protein, get adequate fiber (25g+) and let the others fall out. My carbs are highly restricted but I am running a higher protein Keto diet. I do it for cutting. I maintain well on a higher carb diet.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you use or promote protein powder because you don't do either. I am not much of a meat eater and you gave me some ideas on how to get more protein out of a vegetarian diet without using any supplements. I hope that clarifies things or am I just digging a deeper hole.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you use or promote protein powder because you don't do either. I am not much of a meat eater and you gave me some ideas on how to get more protein out of a vegetarian diet without using any supplements. I hope that clarifies things or am I just digging a deeper hole.

No worries! I wasn't upset or anything like that by your comment. It's more that I flag-wave sometimes (😉) about it being *possible* to get a decent amount of protein on a vegetarian diet, without *necessarily* using protein supplements per se, if people don't *want* to use them. Since you can see my diary, but others can't, I just wanted to clarify that I haven't been misrepresenting about not using protein powder. 😆

I have a pretty strong personal bias toward "get nutrients from traditional foods" for myself, but I don't think others need to follow that - not at all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

No worries! I wasn't upset or anything like that by your comment. It's more that I flag-wave sometimes (😉) about it being *possible* to get a decent amount of protein on a vegetarian diet, without *necessarily* using protein supplements per se, if people don't *want* to use them. Since you can see my diary, but others can't, I just wanted to clarify that I haven't been misrepresenting about not using protein powder. 😆

I have a pretty strong personal bias toward "get nutrients from traditional foods" for myself, but I don't think others need to follow that - not at all.

I am biased to getting my protein in all ways possible. My protein dessert! You have seen it

78qpkcsz9wxf.jpg