Not losing inches or weight

I’m semi new here! I’ve been weightlifting for about 4 weeks. Aside from seeing a little roundness in my butt starting to form(which I’m proud of) I’ve lost no inches or weight? I’ve actually gained weight! I thought that I would at least lose an inch or so by now but nothing! I feel so defeated!! Is this normal? Should I just keep going for a few more months to see what happens? Any advice would be most helpful! Btw, although I don’t track my calories very well, I’m very mindful of what I eat, turkey bacon and egg whites for breakfast, homemade turkey wrap for lunch and anything Lean and Clean from the food service Gooble. Am I being impatient? I just want to lose ten pounds and look long and lean. Currently I’m 170 which I wouldn’t mind so much if I could lose even half an inch. Please help!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,107 Member
    How much weight have you gained? Not properly tracking your calories will make it harder to know what is going on.

You could be eating at a calorie surplus, which obviously won't get you where you want to go.
    You could be eating at maintenance level, but simply have gained some water weight from the lifting, and be done a recomp. Recomp is a slow process, but will make you look better in the end.
    Or you could even be at a calorie deficit, but the increased water weight from lifting exceeds the fat you have lost.

On top of the effect of starting weight training (probable water retention to repair the muscles), your weight can fluctuate for other reasons which can mask fat loss (sodium intake, stress, food waste in the digestive system...).

I would recommend:
    - counting your calorie intake properly
    - monitoring your weight trend, for example with Libra or HappyScale
  • thenextlevel
    thenextlevel Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you so much! I’ve gained about 4-5 pounds. I thought water weight from weightlifting went away after a couple of weeks, so thank you for the insight! Also, you’re right! I’m going to get back on counting my calories. It’s the only true way to know! I really do appreciate your help!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    So you have a goal of losing ten pounds and look long and lean.

You mentioned you visually see improvements that you are proud of in four weeks.

That is quite an accomplishment in such a short period of time, congrats.

As you keep going I would think you will see more improvements. Just practice a bit of patience as four weeks is hardly a grain of salt when we look at the big picture of hopefully a lifetime of training.

• thenextlevel
    Thank you! Will practice patience!
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    4 weeks and you’ve noticed improvement? I am impressed. I’m aiming for more mass in that area, and been hearing it takes min of at least 6 months to years! Genetics takr a role in that area too as well.

Have you tried actually getting measured? You could have lost some body fat but gained some muscle. Don’t know how fast that can happen, but it’s a guess? I had a friend that thought they stopped with progress but her coach said she lost body fat and gained muscle and she’s at the same weight.

Patience is key tho..
  • thenextlevel
    Yeah, that’s what I’m hearing! Patience! Patience! Patience!! I’m glad I opened up because the responses have been realistic and encouraging. This community is really about support! Thank you so much!!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    For gaining muscle the two most important factors are:
    1. Use a well written, structured, progressive weight lifting program. You can find a pretty extensive list of good ones in this thread
    2. Eat sufficient protein, which means eating approximately 0.8-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.
    For weight loss the most important factor is:
    1. Eat in a calorie deficit

You can definitely do both at the same time but to do so make sure you keep up with the protein and don't try to lose more than approximately 0.5% of your body weight per week. This assumes you have body fat to lose. And get plenty of rest. This helps with both goals.

And don't get hung up on day to day fluctuations in your weight. The simplest thing to do is weigh yourself every day at the same time of day and take an average at the end of the week and base your calories for the next week on that average.

Honestly, without tracking calories it's VERY difficult to accomplish the calorie deficit, and even if you can stay in a calorie deficit without strict logging you also need to insure you're getting sufficient protein to gain muscle, not always easy without food tracking. IMO you really need to track your food, especially as a beginner to the whole weight loss, muscle gain process.

And finally, I'll just add to the others, patience. Visually noticeable progress after four weeks is awesome, but gaining muscle and losing fat are not fast processes under normal conditions so be patient.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Track your calories. Dont half *kitten* it. Being mindful of what you eat means nothing If you dont know your total calorie intake.

You've been lifting for 4 weeks. In what way would lifting weights cause weight loss? Initially it does the exact opposite as you cause micro tears in your muscle fibres and your body retains water in order to aid repairs.

Count your calories. If you're not losing. That's why. Lifting weights has nothing to do with it.