Weighing raw vs cooked veggies

Do people weigh their veggies raw or after cooking. Does it make a difference?
(For example sweet potato raw vs sweet potato baked in oven with nothing added)

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    I have a similar problem with frozen veges. Do I weigh them frozen or thawed? I weigh them frozen, but feel cheated.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I have a similar problem with frozen veges. Do I weigh them frozen or thawed? I weigh them frozen, but feel cheated.

I weigh them frozen but I’ve also wondered how much the weight would change if I let them defrost in a sieve and weighed them again! Considering few vegetables are massively calorific I don’t think it’ll be a number worth worrying about but I do still knock off any chunks of frost over the sink, before weighing! 😂
  • cyaneverfat

I weigh them frozen but I’ve also wondered how much the weight would change if I let them defrost in a sieve and weighed them again! Considering few vegetables are massively calorific I don’t think it’ll be a number worth worrying about but I do still knock off any chunks of frost over the sink, before weighing! 😂

Same with things like frozen prawns, meat etc
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

True, and I guess that there are things that the calorie difference would be greater than with vegetables but I’m vegetarian so I don’t worry about meat and prawns etc!

The only way to really work it out is to weigh frozen, let the food defrost in a sieve over a bowl, then weigh again. Theoretically, if you then added that defrosted weight to the weight of any drained water you should come up with the original weight +/- evaporation I guess! You could then work out how many calories the difference in weights amounts to and, depending on the number decide how to proceed in the future.

I think I’ll just weigh frozen and think of any potential tiny difference in calories as a bonus deficit though! 😊
  • cyaneverfat

The only way to really work it out is to weigh frozen, let the food defrost in a sieve over a bowl, then weigh again. Theoretically, if you then added that defrosted weight to the weight of any drained water you should come up with the original weight +/- evaporation I guess! You could then work out how many calories the difference in weights amounts to and, depending on the number decide how to proceed in the future.

I'm either too dumb or too tired to wrap my head around that, lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

There are at least some frozen entries. I use those for frozen spinach and strawberries and some other things.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    I don't overthink it with fruits/veggies and I defer to the raw or frozen weights.
    I agree that there are too many variables with cooked vegetables for it to be my first choice. Raw accounts for the typical amounts of water in the fruit/vegetable and after cooking this can drastically change from chef to chef depending on preparation method and preferences. By the time the veggies are cooked they are often added in to dishes or enhanced with other items like oil, butter, etc. that can influence weight, so raw/frozen is just more practical IMO.

Veggies aren't too caloric in general. I am more concerned about if I am eating enough servings of veggies than I am with getting the amounts down to the perfect gram. There will always be some discrepancy with calorie counting, but the difference between frozen/raw is not going to be significant enough to dramatically influence your progress.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

There are at least some frozen entries. I use those for frozen spinach and strawberries and some other things.

Yes, MFP has a lot of entries that came from the USDA database that include "frozen, unprepared."

"Carrots, frozen, unprepared"
    "Peas - Green, frozen, unprepared"
    "Corn, sweet, white, frozen, kernels cut off cob, unprepared"

I weigh my veggies raw or frozen when practical, and don't worry about it when it's unpractical, ex: when I am sharing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I weigh all vegetables raw and log that weight (except for frozen, I'll use frozen-specific entries for those).

If I'm in a situation where I can't weigh them raw (a restaurant or someone else preparing my food), I log my best estimate of how much I ate based on the cooked appearance and don't worry about it because I know that I'm logging as accurately as I can for the majority of my meals.
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't really weigh vegetables, at least greens. I consider sweet potatoes to be starches, not vegetables. For SP you should definitely weigh raw.

Honestly, all calorie counts for foods are off by at least 5% anyway. The difference between 25g of lettuce and 50g of lettuce is just noise.
  • cyaneverfat
    edited August 2020
    I weigh all vegetables raw and log that weight (except for frozen, I'll use frozen-specific entries for those).

If I'm in a situation where I can't weigh them raw (a restaurant or someone else preparing my food), I log my best estimate of how much I ate based on the cooked appearance and don't worry about it because I know that I'm logging as accurately as I can for the majority of my meals.

kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, MFP has a lot of entries that came from the USDA database that include "frozen, unprepared."

"Carrots, frozen, unprepared"
    "Peas - Green, frozen, unprepared"
    "Corn, sweet, white, frozen, kernels cut off cob, unprepared"

I weigh my veggies raw or frozen when practical, and don't worry about it when it's unpractical, ex: when I am sharing.

I usually go with the nutritional packaging on the frozen veges, rather than using the website entries. Maybe that's where the problem lies. And the packaging doesn't tell you whether the amount is for frozen or defrosted!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,175 Member
    edited August 2020
    I usually go with the nutritional packaging on the frozen veges, rather than using the website entries. Maybe that's where the problem lies. And the packaging doesn't tell you whether the amount is for frozen or defrosted!

Values on the outside of the package normally reflect the state of the food in the package. Thus they would discuss uncooked dry foods in that state, before they are prepared with the addition of liquid.

If the package is normally sold frozen, the values would be for frozen (as packaged). Not for thawed or freezer burned.

If there is a different state that is also being discussed (thawed, drained, as prepared) in Canada this would normally be indicated separately on the packaging with a second column, or clear notation. "drained" comes to mind, often found on cans. Otherwise the weight is of the whole can including liquid.

That said it is interesting to note the weight change of many vegetables when cooked in water/braised vs cooked in other ways vs raw. For many vegetables, and especially when you consider their energy density, it is actually not a very large difference. For some... it does add up to quite a bit (compare the weight difference between fresh spinach vs cooked and drained spinach and of a raw vs boiled carrots)
  • sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Besides starchy vegetables I don't weigh them anymore.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Just go on the USDA database. They have entries for cooked and raw foods.
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    Raw all the way.
  • PenfoldSmith
    PenfoldSmith Posts: 6 Member
    Do people weigh their veggies raw or after cooking. Does it make a difference?
    (For example sweet potato raw vs sweet potato baked in oven with nothing added)

Might be just me but I dont bother weighing any veg. I consider veg as free Kcals as your body uses more Kcals up digesting them than they are worth.
    My method of food 'management' is quite simple, all veg is free and just count the Kcals of what you eat with them.
    Works for me ( I think 🤣🤣)