Garlic supplements

Options
Hello, i hope everyone is doing great
My daily supplements are simple just creatine and whey protein and omega fats and recently Vitamin C, but today one of my friends suggested garlic tablets.

I dont have any back ground about it.
I'm wondering what is it used for? And is it worth it? Or it just make your piss more expensive 🤷‍♂️

Thank you 🌹

lniy0xb41jcu.jpeg

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's a good source of unbiased information about garlic supplementation. https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/garlic

Note this:
    "Garlic is probably safe for most people in the amounts usually eaten in foods.
    "Side effects include breath and body odor, heartburn, and upset stomach. These side effects can be more noticeable with raw garlic. Some people have allergic reactions to garlic.
    "Taking garlic may increase the risk of bleeding. If you take an anticoagulant (blood thinner) such as warfarin (Coumadin) or if you need surgery, tell your health care provider if you’re taking or planning to take garlic dietary supplements.
    "Garlic has been found to interfere with the effectiveness of some drugs, including saquinavir, a drug used to treat HIV infection."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    examine.com is always a good site to research any supplement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Yup.

Also, what are you trying to achieve with garlic or even vitamin C for that matter? Creatine and whey are highly effective and well documented.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here's a good source of unbiased information about garlic supplementation. https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/garlic

Note this:
    "Side effects include breath and body odor, heartburn, and upset stomach. These side effects can be more noticeable with raw garlic. Some people have allergic reactions to garlic.
    "Taking garlic may increase the risk of bleeding. If you take an anticoagulant (blood thinner) such as warfarin (Coumadin) or if you need surgery, tell your health care provider if you’re taking or planning to take garlic dietary supplements.
    "Garlic has been found to interfere with the effectiveness of some drugs, including saquinavir, a drug used to treat HIV infection."

Thank you, that was really helpful ♥️🙏
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yup.

Also, what are you trying to achieve with garlic or even vitamin C for that matter? Creatine and whey are highly effective and well documented.

I don't eat that much fruits so i take vitamin C for immunity benefits, but as for garlic i just heard about it today 🤷‍♂️
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

I don't eat that much fruits so i take vitamin C for immunity benefits, but as for garlic i just heard about it today 🤷‍♂️

Odd. Garlic is a fairly popular staple in cooking.

What did you hear that it should do for you that has you interested?

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    . My daily supplements are simple just creatine and whey protein and omega fats and recently Vitamin C, but today one of my friends suggested garlic tablets.

My daily supplements are even more simple: nothing.

I would only take a supplement if it had a specific purpose relevant to me

What specific purpose do you think garlic supplements will do for you and is this something supported by scientific research?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

Note this:

Yup.

Do you eat veggies? You can get vitamin C from other foods.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Note this:

Yup.

Do you eat veggies? You can get vitamin C from other foods.

This^^

Fun fact: Broccoli has 149% DV of Vitamin C per 100 g, while oranges (what most people associate with Vitamin C) only has 75% per 100g.

Green bell peppers contain 134% DV per 100g.

Brussels sprouts contain 142% DV per 100g.

Even potatoes, squash (all varieties), green beans, cabbage, spinach, have a non-negligible amount of Vitamin C.

THAT is the supplement that gives you the expensive pee, IMO.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    There must be something to taking garlic supplements. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (my immune system attacks me), and the doctor told me to stay away from garlic because my immune system would be "revved up" by it.