Bereavement

Options
joolspen3942
joolspen3942 Posts: 71 Member
edited August 2020 in Motivation and Support
I know this is probably not place to discuss this, but I really need some guidance people who understand, I lost my mum wed 19th Aug 2020 to copd. Has anyone else lost a parent how did you cope? Is it normal to feel numb? What did you do about work? I have so many questions I'm so heartbroken I just need answers thankyou in advance 🥺

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My father died a few years ago to cancer, I coped fairly well in the circumstances, and while I was sad it was a relief knowing that he was no longer in significant pain.

It is most certainly normal to be numb, sad, overwhelmed, in a low mood, weepy, etc etc...and it also normal not to be, everyone feels different and people grieve differently and for different periods of time.

Just before my father died I had just started leave from work because we knew it wasn't going to be long. He passed two weeks before Christmas, so by the time Christmas and new Year was over and my work shutdown, I had about a month off work. I don't know what the provisions are where you live but do you get some sort of compassionate leave? Are you in a position to take annual leave or leave without pay?
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss.. so sad, I get 1 week bereavement I do get full sick pay funeral is week this Friday so probably go get signed off for 2 weeks. It's such a stressful time isint it. Thankyou so so much for ur feedback I truly appreciate it🙏
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    God love you @ReenieHJ I'm so so sorry for your loss too bless you, it is so hard isint it like u I lost dad about 12 year ago i knew mum would go but not this quick.thankyou so much for your reply. God be with you and all your family. 🙏🙏
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.

My dad passed when I was 13. My mom when I was in my early 30's. When my mom passed we had a toddler son that my wife was staying home with and a fairly high pressure professional job. Of course I was devastated, but back at work in a week after an out of town funeral. I was hard, but you have to do what you have to do. That's what your parents would want.
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your feedback, you must have been super strong to have got back to things so fast. Bless you may god be with you and ur family 🙏
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    Tha
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I know this is probably not place to discuss this, but I really need some guidance people who understand, I lost my mum wed 19th Aug 2020 to copd. Has anyone else lost a parent how did you cope? Is it normal to feel numb? What did you do about work? I have so many questions I'm so heartbroken I just need answers thankyou in advance 🥺

The numbness is a good thing. It allows you a little time to deal with arrangements and all the well meaning people who will wear you out trying to console you.

Grief comes most often in waves. You can be enjoying or even laughing at a fond memory for a time. You can be wrecked for a time. Oddly enough you can even have moments where you have forgotten it has happened. Do not let the latter one make you feel guilty. It is normal.

Grief is mostly about you and your life as it continues with the absence of your mother. Everyone will tell you the holidays are the worst and they are no picnic but initially it will be the small day to day stuff that will hit you the hardest.

If you haven't already you may soon learn that all condolences suck. Try to forgive the fact that they do but these are things we are taught to say. Also try and forgive people for asking "how are you doing?" They mean well.

Thankyou so so much. It's so lovely to speak to people who understand what your going through thankyou🙏
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. the numbness will vacillate with other emotions too. during your time off, please make yourself the priority to take care of YOU.

my mom died of ALS when i was 34. my children were 3 and 1 at the time,and i could hardly get through my days taking care of them. she was sick for 4 years so i was prepared in some ways - but not really. i had no help at all during that time as all my friends were working and we have no other family. it was challenging to say the least.

i think of her every day, and sometimes i'll dream she's still alive. it would upset me when i'd wake up, but now i see it as a blessing that she manifested into my dream.

if you can find a friend who will *hold space* for you *ie - just listen and not provide judgment or advice when you need it - then that would help you immensely. i had a former friend berate me 3 months after my mom passed, that she was tired of listening to me talk about my mom.

you are allowed to grieve as much as you need. eventually the grief subsides to a lesser degree.
    my good vibes and thoughts your way - dear joolspen... <3

• joolspen3942
    Options
    MiNinaLisa wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for your loss. the numbness will vacillate with other emotions too. during your time off, please make yourself the priority to take care of YOU.

my mom died of ALS when i was 34. my children were 3 and 1 at the time,and i could hardly get through my days taking care of them. she was sick for 4 years so i was prepared in some ways - but not really. i had no help at all during that time as all my friends were working and we have no other family. it was challenging to say the least.

i think of her every day, and sometimes i'll dream she's still alive. it would upset me when i'd wake up, but now i see it as a blessing that she manifested into my dream.

if you can find a friend who will *hold space* for you *ie - just listen and not provide judgment or advice when you need it - then that would help you immensely. i had a former friend berate me 3 months after my mom passed, that she was tired of listening to me talk about my mom.

you are allowed to grieve as much as you need. eventually the grief subsides to a lesser degree.
    my good vibes and thoughts your way - dear joolspen... <3

Awww hunny Godbless you, you were so young and children were too. Bless you. You doing brilliant that your able to talk about it.. my children are 10 and 5 my 10 year old it hit her hard. Thankyou so so much for your reply God be with you and your family 🙏🤗
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your mom.

My dad died about thirteen years ago and I had another big loss two years ago. The numbness, I think, is just your mind protecting itself. Some things are too big to feel all at once. It's very normal to be numb (and it's also okay if someone is never numb).

I'm glad you've got some time off work. I told a few people at work when I was grieving (mainly my manager and some peers I work with regularly), but otherwise didn't talk about it much at work. I wanted to have part of the day that was relatively "free" from that. I don't think this is how everyone needs to do it, it was what I wanted to do.

I personally felt like I had a bunch of bad days in a row. When I had my loss two years ago, I think I went almost ten days without washing my hair because I just couldn't face washing it for THE FIRST TIME after the death. Not logical thinking! But normal for grieving. I had this whole period where any "first time" would make me cry and anything I regularly did with my loved one would make me cry and . . . well, pretty much everything could make me cry. And then I began having some days that were more normal, mixed with days that were still pretty bad. And after about probably nine or ten months, I began having times where something that reminded me of my loved one would actually make me smile instead of cry (and this wasn't straightforward, I would still have plenty of cries left). Now I can usually talk about her without crying and even feel happiness from memories of her.

It's a hole in my life that will never go away, but I've gotten better at living with the hole. When someone is precious to us, it's okay to always miss them when they go away for good. <3
  • joolspen3942
    Options

My dad died about thirteen years ago and I had another big loss two years ago. The numbness, I think, is just your mind protecting itself. Some things are too big to feel all at once. It's very normal to be numb (and it's also okay if someone is never numb).

I'm glad you've got some time off work. I told a few people at work when I was grieving (mainly my manager and some peers I work with regularly), but otherwise didn't talk about it much at work. I wanted to have part of the day that was relatively "free" from that. I don't think this is how everyone needs to do it, it was what I wanted to do.

I personally felt like I had a bunch of bad days in a row. When I had my loss two years ago, I think I went almost ten days without washing my hair because I just couldn't face washing it for THE FIRST TIME after the death. Not logical thinking! But normal for grieving. I had this whole period where any "first time" would make me cry and anything I regularly did with my loved one would make me cry and . . . well, pretty much everything could make me cry. And then I began having some days that were more normal, mixed with days that were still pretty bad. And after about probably nine or ten months, I began having times where something that reminded me of my loved one would actually make me smile instead of cry (and this wasn't straightforward, I would still have plenty of cries left). Now I can usually talk about her without crying and even feel happiness from memories of her.

It's a hole in my life that will never go away, but I've gotten better at living with the hole. When someone is precious to us, it's okay to always miss them when they go away for good. <3

God bless you I'm so glad ur able to talk about it now it's so heavy on our hearts . I feel so bogged down at the moment trying to support my mums husband keeping 2 kids entertained whilst off work sorting funeral, whilst having to ring round family members ..thankyou so much for your reply. Godbless you🙏🤗
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

God bless you I'm so glad ur able to talk about it now it's so heavy on our hearts . I feel so bogged down at the moment trying to support my mums husband keeping 2 kids entertained whilst off work sorting funeral, whilst having to ring round family members ..thankyou so much for your reply. Godbless you🙏🤗

Oh my dear, you should be leaning on others as well as trying to be supportive. :(
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Oh my dear, you should be leaning on others as well as trying to be supportive. :(

I know lovely I'm gonna try and practice that🙏🙏
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It's all so personal. There are no ironclad stages of grief. No two people experience grief in the same way. There is simply doing it and going through it. I've lost loved ones. Young ones. Sharing my experiences may not make you feel any better so I won't. Grief is similar to falling in love. We don't experience it in the same ways. You won't lose the love you have for your mother. That love will always be real.
  • joolspen3942
    Options
    @diatonic thankyou for your reply Godbless you🙏
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My Mom passed five years ago and even though we knew it was coming, it still left me feeling numb. I had to find a new normal instead of visiting her. You'll have to take it one day at a time, and as @diatonic said, we all grieve differently. And that's okay, there's no "normal" way to feel. Just know that time really does heal all, be kind to yourself and cry, cry, cry if you have to. She'll always be with you in spirit. I'm sure you brought her much happiness in her life. Good luck to you my friend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    My mom died last year to an accidental fall. Other than that she was healthy. All the holidays were hard. And her first anniversary was last month. But life will go on with or without us happy or not. I miss my mom. I miss her smile and hugs. So that's what I focus on, all the good stuff we had together. And I've FOCUSED more on showing love to the ones that matter to me NOW. Just a text or even a quick call hello to them has helped me to feel much better about not leaving things off the table.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jennifergare12
    jennifergare12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. I lost my mom to COVID-19 on August 22nd, 2020. I know what you are going through. I asked myself how am I going to return to school this fall but I discovered for me while I go through this grieving process is to stay busy. I know that my mom would want me to do that. She was all about staying busy and education. Although, the feeling of emptiness does not go away automatically and of course it will take time to heal, remember to take care of yourself and I promise each waken day will get better. Take care of yourself. Jennifer
  • jennifergare12
    jennifergare12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To continue, yes it is normal to feel numb, empty, sad, brokenhearted, confused, angry, bitter, sluggish because death is not normal to us humans. We expect that our loved ones will be around forever but unfortunately that is not the case. Going to work might be a challenge if you have to be around people because taking a little time to grieve and just listen to your heart might be best but everyone is different in the way that they grieve. Whatever you are going through in your feelings they are yours and it is okay to feel any way that you might be feeling. Feel better okay. Again, I know how you feel!! Jennifer~