Tai Chi anyone?

Options
Burn Calories, Without Sweating?
by Bill Douglas
Time Magazine wrote, ". . . Tai Chi is the perfect exercise . . ." While serving as the Tai Chi Expert at DrWeil.com, I learned that best selling author and acclaimed naturopathic physician, Andrew Weil, suggested that poor breathing habits are at the root of many of our health problems. This was exciting news to me, confirming what I'd spent a lifetime learning in my Qigong (Chi Kung) and Tai Chi education. Yet, Dr. Weil's insights helped me describe to people just why Tai Chi is the perfect exercise.

Qigong, pronounced chee-kung, literally means "breathing exercise." The more popular exercise of Tai Chi is a form of Qigong. Modern medical research is now revealing that Tai Chi & Qigong are powerful health sciences, as well as effective aerobic exercises.

Studies have shown that Tai Chi can lower high blood pressure, and profoundly boost aspects of the immune system, while improving balance and coordination far better than any other known exercise. Tai Chi can reduce or eliminate chronic pain or limited mobility, while lessening the incidence of anxiety, depression, or overall mood disturbance. Tai Chi is the lowest impact exercise there is, and has even been used by those with arthritis, yet as gentle as it is it burns about 280 calories per hour, and provides roughly the same cardiovascular benefits of moderate impact aerobics.

Sounds too good to be true doesn’t it? But, it is true, and this is only scratching the surface of what Tai Chi offers our busy lives. Not only can Tai Chi do all these amazing things, but it is so multi-dimensional that it provides these healing results to all the systems of our mind, body, and spirit in a regimen that only takes less than 30 minutes a day, and can be done in office attire at work in an empty boardroom or stock room. Anywhere where you can have some time alone with a little space to be uninterrupted, making Tai Chi the exercise of the future.

A major fitness manufacturing association recently released a study that found Tai Chi was at the top of the growth charts for health & fitness exercises. For those who’ve learned to enjoy Tai Chi and Qigong’s gentle workouts, this is no surprise, as they’ve seen their outlook improve, and an increased sense of well-being in their lives. Many notice improved sleep, reduced allergy symptoms and lessened asthma symptoms over the years as they practice Tai Chi & Qigong as well.

How does Tai Chi do all of this? Tai Chi is part of Traditional Chinese Medicine, or TCM. TCM has evolved over thousands of years of medical research in China, and evolved a system to understand how the Qi, or life energy, moves through the mind and body to support all the health systems, mental, emotional, physical, and spritual. When energy is blocked, mainly by unmanaged stress, our health diminishes. What’s fascinating is that modern Western medicine is now beginning to validate the insights of TCM. Kaiser Permanente’s twenty-year study finding that 70 to 85% of their patient’s illnesses sending them to their doctors were caused by stress, absolutely validate TCM’s understanding of our health.

Tai Chi’s gentle movements, breathing techniques, and visualization techniques combine to massage the accumulated stress loads out of our 50 trillion cells in our body. The result is to cultivate a newness of being each time we “play” Tai Chi. The Chinese don’t speak of “work-outs,” but rather “play” Tai Chi. If you can play yourself into a whole new life, a healthy, and happy, and hopeful one . . . why wait?

source: http://www.martialarts-101.com/martial_arts_taichi_burn_calories.asp

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Burn Calories, Without Sweating?
    by Bill Douglas
    Time Magazine wrote, ". . . Tai Chi is the perfect exercise . . ." While serving as the Tai Chi Expert at DrWeil.com, I learned that best selling author and acclaimed naturopathic physician, Andrew Weil, suggested that poor breathing habits are at the root of many of our health problems. This was exciting news to me, confirming what I'd spent a lifetime learning in my Qigong (Chi Kung) and Tai Chi education. Yet, Dr. Weil's insights helped me describe to people just why Tai Chi is the perfect exercise.

Qigong, pronounced chee-kung, literally means "breathing exercise." The more popular exercise of Tai Chi is a form of Qigong. Modern medical research is now revealing that Tai Chi & Qigong are powerful health sciences, as well as effective aerobic exercises.

Studies have shown that Tai Chi can lower high blood pressure, and profoundly boost aspects of the immune system, while improving balance and coordination far better than any other known exercise. Tai Chi can reduce or eliminate chronic pain or limited mobility, while lessening the incidence of anxiety, depression, or overall mood disturbance. Tai Chi is the lowest impact exercise there is, and has even been used by those with arthritis, yet as gentle as it is it burns about 280 calories per hour, and provides roughly the same cardiovascular benefits of moderate impact aerobics.

Sounds too good to be true doesn’t it? But, it is true, and this is only scratching the surface of what Tai Chi offers our busy lives. Not only can Tai Chi do all these amazing things, but it is so multi-dimensional that it provides these healing results to all the systems of our mind, body, and spirit in a regimen that only takes less than 30 minutes a day, and can be done in office attire at work in an empty boardroom or stock room. Anywhere where you can have some time alone with a little space to be uninterrupted, making Tai Chi the exercise of the future.

A major fitness manufacturing association recently released a study that found Tai Chi was at the top of the growth charts for health & fitness exercises. For those who’ve learned to enjoy Tai Chi and Qigong’s gentle workouts, this is no surprise, as they’ve seen their outlook improve, and an increased sense of well-being in their lives. Many notice improved sleep, reduced allergy symptoms and lessened asthma symptoms over the years as they practice Tai Chi & Qigong as well.

How does Tai Chi do all of this? Tai Chi is part of Traditional Chinese Medicine, or TCM. TCM has evolved over thousands of years of medical research in China, and evolved a system to understand how the Qi, or life energy, moves through the mind and body to support all the health systems, mental, emotional, physical, and spritual. When energy is blocked, mainly by unmanaged stress, our health diminishes. What’s fascinating is that modern Western medicine is now beginning to validate the insights of TCM. Kaiser Permanente’s twenty-year study finding that 70 to 85% of their patient’s illnesses sending them to their doctors were caused by stress, absolutely validate TCM’s understanding of our health.

Tai Chi’s gentle movements, breathing techniques, and visualization techniques combine to massage the accumulated stress loads out of our 50 trillion cells in our body. The result is to cultivate a newness of being each time we “play” Tai Chi. The Chinese don’t speak of “work-outs,” but rather “play” Tai Chi. If you can play yourself into a whole new life, a healthy, and happy, and hopeful one . . . why wait?

source: http://www.martialarts-101.com/martial_arts_taichi_burn_calories.asp
  • hushmonkey1234
    Options
    Thank you for that, I have always wanted to learn Tai Chi but have never done it. Now I have an even better reason to do it!:happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    We have done qigong classes and found them to be very good. When doing the qigong exercises, it is very restful and helps slowly stretch all parts of your body.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I took a Tai Chi class at the gym for a couple of years. Excellent exercise and actually helped my mood and energy.

I strongly recommend it for anyone..

Thanks for posting..:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • CoachFoland
    CoachFoland Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I took a Tai Chi class at Ball State in '94. Loved it. I have since only dabbled...

FYI, if you've seen the movie Hot Rod, there is NO move that makes one crap themselves :tongue:
  • WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    Tai chi (or taiji) is great for you. When done in a traditional manner it is also a great workout. There are 5 major schools, Chen (arguably the aoriginal style, Yang, (the most popular), Wu Hao, Wu and Sun.

In addition to the long form of Yang, the taype ,of taiji most are familiar with, ther are other sets that combine fast and slow movement, some explosive power moves, oir the form done fast.

There are also supplementary exercises, referred to as nei gong (inner skill) and qi gong (qi skill, or skills releated to the development of qi, or life energy.

Despite the slow movement, taiji, and other "internal" Chinese arts (like ba gua or hsing I) cangive you an incredible work out.

While I admire you're trying to learen the form from YouTube I'd suggest trying to find a teacher. To do taiji properly, and therefor get the maximium benefit from it, there are guidelines or principles that have to be understood and followed in your practice, and the best way to learn those skills is from someone who possesses them.

I've been lucky to study with some really great taiji teachers and love what it has done for me. Check your area to see if there are some that can help you.

A good online resource is rumsoakedfist.com.

Don't let the name throw you off, there is a great teacher directory there.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the article you posted as well as the comments of WTJoyce. I have been "Playing " Tai Chi for close to 20 years, and teaching for over 10. One of the wonders of Tai chi -- I can do this so long as I can stand! I have played tai chi thru migrains so bad I could not drive. It does have the benefits ascribed to it -- if practiced correctly and diligently. You should have a teacher. With a teacher your postures are checked -- and more importantly --corrected. My teachers have all commented that Tai Chi can be done correctly 100 ways and incorrectly a 1000. Who is checking your knee to ankle to hip alignment? Is this important? You bet! Have this wrong for too long and you can torque a knee. Keep torquing the knee and you can do some damage. Tai chi is more than breathing -- it is body alignment, balance, memory,and meditation.
  • mfpme
    mfpme Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladyofivy!!/:flowerforyou: master list member!!

:flowerforyou:
    I love tai chi!. Only know Yang style short form. Wished I learned long form. It's great. Easy on the joints, improve balance. Great for the body as well for the mind. Very calming. I highly recommend it. Done outdoors is great. . Really liked the articles you posted. Thanks! Good reminder I should practise it more. tks for the ytubes too!!

mfpme
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    I appreciate the advice of getting a teacher. If I could afford a class right now, I wouldn't be looking on YouTube for free instructions. :smile: Perhaps one day I will take a class. Until then, I'm happy to practice from the instructions I found online.. I'm pretty sure that I'm less likely to hurt myself playing Tai Chi as I am to hurt myself lifting in the weight room without an instructor, so I'm not incredibly worried about that. But I do appreciate your concern. :smile:
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    JJs25th wrote: »
    I would agree with the article you posted as well as the comments of WTJoyce. I have been "Playing " Tai Chi for close to 20 years, and teaching for over 10. One of the wonders of Tai chi -- I can do this so long as I can stand! I have played tai chi thru migrains so bad I could not drive. It does have the benefits ascribed to it -- if practiced correctly and diligently. You should have a teacher. With a teacher your postures are checked -- and more importantly --corrected. My teachers have all commented that Tai Chi can be done correctly 100 ways and incorrectly a 1000. Who is checking your knee to ankle to hip alignment? Is this important? You bet! Have this wrong for too long and you can torque a knee. Keep torquing the knee and you can do some damage. Tai chi is more than breathing -- it is body alignment, balance, memory,and meditation.

Do you recommend any of the specific online classes?