Anyone just feel like they're getting fat?

I've gone from 180 to about 193 since the beginning of this year. Felt like I was doing better when I was going to the gym until the pandemic started. I've developed some visible muscle, but I really don't feel like I've gotten stronger. Arms and legs are still thin, so I think the weight is being gained around the belly. Will I be happier if I cut or should I keep trying to gain? Kind of lost.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Fat is not a feeling. <3

The lifting pros will be along shortly.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yo man.

It could easily be water retention and simply too many carbs daily.

What sort of lifting program are you running/goals

Along with what's your daily surplus?

I feel you on the fat part. I've gone from 187 to 209 in 6 weeks. The amount of food needed daily leaves my gut completely distended.

But feeling fat is definitely a feeling and can be extremely discouraging. Personally I suggest drinking more water as itll help the water retention. Maybe cut out some carbs. And cut our creatine if you're using it and the bloating is a problem

What's your approximate bf percentage?
  • jessef593
    Also are you still working out regularly? Even just bodyweight exercises with time under tension incorporated to add resistance is better than nothing
  • jessef593
    Dude you're gaining at a perfect amount. Not too fast not too slow.

What does this program consist of? Does it regularly force you to lift heavier and progress in volume and intensity? Or do you constantly keep using the same weights? That's a big factor.

You need to force your body to adapt In order to grow. Our bodies dont like muscle. Its taxing and and requires extra energy. So we need to give it a reason to grow
  • jessef593
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    You can see it here:
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    You're right about the gut feeling big and fat at the end of the day, it's crazy

Okay you've been running that for 8-9 months?

What your progression. From a quick look it's like 9 sets a week per muscle group. That is not enough stimulus to cause muscle growth beyond an very new beginner.

Lookup PHUL or another similar 4 day a week program. Or into a push pull legs routine. I run that when I want a break from my powerlifting routine and just want to feel pumped up.

Itll be more muscle specific, as after 8 months with a consistent surplus you should have somewhat of a base at this point.

Personally.. I wouldn't run many cookie cutter programs. They dont work for everyone

I'm doing on average 16-24 sets a week per muscle group and seeing great progress however I'm at a more advanced stage and also supplementing.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I ran that workout routine for like 3 months and saw great gains. As long as lifts are going up incrementally, keep going.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I don't know, I don't seem to get any stronger; I've been at this for years and years but improvement doesn't seem to happen beyond a certain point.. for example, I can't do more than 7 decent reps with 80 lb (160 total) dumbbell bench press. The weight always feels heavy, never gets easier.. Does that mean I'll never be able to lift more weight than that, like it's a ceiling?

Well I suppose eat more. Succession is fractional after a few years. 5LB per 3 months If you’re lucky
  • jessef593
    I don't know, I don't seem to get any stronger; I've been at this for years and years but improvement doesn't seem to happen beyond a certain point.. for example, I can't do more than 7 decent reps with 80 lb (160 total) dumbbell bench press. The weight always feels heavy, never gets easier.. Does that mean I'll never be able to lift more weight than that, like it's a ceiling?

I find it's easier to progress on actual bench press than dumbbell presses.

Have you tried not going to failure? Its counter productive for strength training. Try upping the weight and go for 2-4 clean reps is safe to do so.

Along with dropping the weight and aiming for 6-10 clean controlled reps.

Like we said. Linear progression programs are only so good for so long.

You can't just force a weight by repeatedly doing it everytime. You need to push for heavier and become more efficient with less.

Powerlifting rarely involves lifting as much as you can since it's so hard on your body.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Are your fat macros at 30% or under? Fat is more likely than carbs or protein to be stored as belly fat.
  • jessef593
    Then*
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I've been enjoying listening to Brian Keane's podcast lately. He's a straight shooter...no crazy, questionable comments.
  • jessef593
    I eat more than 30 pct fat

And that's fine. I've had well over 100g of fat today and I dont look like I'm storing tons of stomach fat