Biking for exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! Sorry I’m late replying. back.
  • bobbyorr99
    bobbyorr99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As part of my routine, I do try to bike everyday for 30 minutes. Have lost around 35 pounds in the last 3 1/2 months. Its not the only thing I'm doing but I have seen improvements in how I bike. My indoor bike only tracks calories and distance. There is no resistance but frankly one does not need that. When I started I would bike for 5 minutes, rest for one and then continue like that until the 30 minutes are up. But now, I can bike much longer, went 20 minutes straight and then finished the remaining 10. Each week, I biker harder as my distance and calories are going up. Summer is almost done this year but next year i would like to bike outdoors. When I bike indoors, I do find it a bit boring so I watch tv and that helps alot.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Thanks! I am waiting for my bike to arrive, but I wouldn't mind being able to bike indoors too, depending on the weather. I get about the tv thing. It does make time fly, when you get tired of watching the clock. I used to walk for an hour on my treadmill, before I started watching tv. I thought the hour would never end.
    bobbyorr99 wrote: »
    As part of my routine, I do try to bike everyday for 30 minutes. Have lost around 35 pounds in the last 3 1/2 months. Its not the only thing I'm doing but I have seen improvements in how I bike. My indoor bike only tracks calories and distance. There is no resistance but frankly one does not need that. When I started I would bike for 5 minutes, rest for one and then continue like that until the 30 minutes are up. But now, I can bike much longer, went 20 minutes straight and then finished the remaining 10. Each week, I biker harder as my distance and calories are going up. Summer is almost done this year but next year i would like to bike outdoors. When I bike indoors, I do find it a bit boring so I watch tv and that helps alot.

• dmcforthewin
    Options
    Thanks! I watched the short video. Very neat and interesting piece of equipment. I like the idea of dog walking. I don't have a dog, but I do plan to get one in the near future. I love exercising in the fall, so that is something to look forward to. Definately over walking in the heat and humidity, although people say it's better. I prefer the more comfortable weather and it seems to have the same impact for me, as the warmer temps.
    dsnapp3 wrote: »
    I love cycling as part of my fitness routing. My other go to's are body weight circuits (push up, pull up, squat, plank, etc) as well as some rowing - and of course walking the dog. Fall is prime outdoor cycling time. If you do choose to go the cycling route and as we come into winter, you may want to check out adding a home smart power trainer with an app to keep cycling up indoors with the same bike you use to ride outdoors. Last winter, I procured a Wahoo KICKR (https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/kickr/buy?gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO_hKF9ELdqCijsV6DAMHPU6-FhFSczS6V9y9wz_5UIBR4pEBqzW2shoCOTQQAvD_BwE) and use ZWIFT (https://zwift.com) to keep things interesting. Very similar to the Peleton approach mentioned in an earlier thread.

• x92_i
    x92_i Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cycling is fun. burnr 500-900 cal per day when i pedal hard. i love it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Long distance cycling was my main exercise for many years and for many years I was slim and fit.

Cycling is still my favourite exercise, but unfortunately I'm not able to do it as much as I would like. I'm hoping to increase my distances again this coming summer, after I finish my degree in October.

Meanwhile, I walk a lot for transportation, and run, row or cycling inside and occasionally outside.

• dmcforthewin
    Options
    That sounds great to me! Thanks!
    x92_i wrote: »
    cycling is fun. burnr 500-900 cal per day when i pedal hard. i love it.

• dmcforthewin
    Options
    I hope I can still ride a bike. It's been 35 years, since I rode a bike outside. I know, sounds crazy.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Long distance cycling was my main exercise for many years and for many years I was slim and fit.

Cycling is still my favourite exercise, but unfortunately I'm not able to do it as much as I would like. I'm hoping to increase my distances again this coming summer, after I finish my degree in October.

Meanwhile, I walk a lot for transportation, and run, row or cycling inside and occasionally outside.

• MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @dmcforthewin I just got a bike this spring after not riding for about 38 years. When I first got it, I rode it a few times around a parking lot just to see if I still could. Luckily, it really was "like riding a bike". After a few parking lot rides, I felt a bit more confident and I hit a few bike trails around here but not by myself. I only went if my son was available to go along. I felt better having someone along in case something happened. I guess I was a nervous old lady. :) Now, several months later, I ride 5 times a week on the trails all by myself. lol. When I began going by myself, I started with a fairly easy paved loop trail. I could increase the number of loops I did as my fitness increased. I found that a good way for me to start. I am enjoying it so much and hope you will too! Good luck!
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I may have missed your reply to me. I do like the option of being able to bike indoors. I'm not a fan of exercise in the really freezing cold weather, that will be coming up this year. I don't like the gym too much, although I do go from time to time. Thanks for the ideas!
    raul7377 wrote: »
    Hi. I do both bije and light weights and have lost over 50 lbs dince march. For bike i use and indoor trainer and the Zwift cycling app on laptop. I use a spped, heartrate and cadence sensors

I connect the laptop to tv and can do any off the many "rides" on Zwift. Its the best approach. I can cycke anytime of day or night , no need to worry about weather, traffic or safety, and best of all no need to drive anywhere. The app tracks everything and includes races, work out plans or just fun rides. Its online so you are conbected to ruders all over the world.

• dmcforthewin
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wow! I feel like your talking about me. I haven't been on a bike in 35 years and I will probably also have to take it somewhere to make sure I won't fall on my face, in front of my neighbors. I am kind of self concious, thinking all the neighbors will be watching me and laughing. It's probably just in my head. From what most people have said out there, it's like walking. You don't forget once you have learned. Thank you for the kind words. I think I willl enjoy biking. I have a neighborhood trail and then a close by community paved loop. I will start there, I guess.
    MuttiNM wrote: »
    @dmcforthewin I just got a bike this spring after not riding for about 38 years. When I first got it, I rode it a few times around a parking lot just to see if I still could. Luckily, it really was "like riding a bike". After a few parking lot rides, I felt a bit more confident and I hit a few bike trails around here but not by myself. I only went if my son was available to go along. I felt better having someone along in case something happened. I guess I was a nervous old lady. :) Now, several months later, I ride 5 times a week on the trails all by myself. lol. When I began going by myself, I started with a fairly easy paved loop trail. I could increase the number of loops I did as my fitness increased. I found that a good way for me to start. I am enjoying it so much and hope you will too! Good luck!

• MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @dmcforthewin I felt very self conscious at first as well. I tried to find parking lots where no one could see me. One time, a father and son showed up at the same lot so the son could practice riding his bike. It was kind of funny. I was probably more than 55 years older than him (he looked very young to me) and I was there practicing too except it was my adult son encouraging me on. At least he didn't have to hold the bike seat for me to keep it steady! lol. I'm grateful my son was willing to do that and was patient through all my insecurity at first.

I also felt really unsure that I could/should actually ride on my own. That's part of the reason I did the paved loop trail at first. It is nearby. It only has a few small hills and the pavement makes riding easier than on a crushed limestone trail or something like that. I needed to build my confidence as well as my fitness. I'm sure you'll progress faster than I did because I'm guessing you're younger and fitter than I was when I started. Please let us know how things go for you!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting about your bike adventures. Does anyone bring their dog? Asking for a friend 🐶
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Thank you all for posting about your bike adventures. Does anyone bring their dog? Asking for a friend 🐶

Got a dog backpack from K9 when I go trail riding
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    @dmcforthewin I felt very self conscious at first as well. I tried to find parking lots where no one could see me. One time, a father and son showed up at the same lot so the son could practice riding his bike. It was kind of funny. I was probably more than 55 years older than him (he looked very young to me) and I was there practicing too except it was my adult son encouraging me on. At least he didn't have to hold the bike seat for me to keep it steady! lol. I'm grateful my son was willing to do that and was patient through all my insecurity at first.

I also felt really unsure that I could/should actually ride on my own. That's part of the reason I did the paved loop trail at first. It is nearby. It only has a few small hills and the pavement makes riding easier than on a crushed limestone trail or something like that. I needed to build my confidence as well as my fitness. I'm sure you'll progress faster than I did because I'm guessing you're younger and fitter than I was when I started. Please let us know how things go for you!

It had been decades since I had cycled, as well. In the interim, I had also ballooned in size for a number of specific reasons. As I retired, the family bought a bike for me, Christmas 2017, as a combined Christmas/retirement gift. "Go ride, it'll be good for you," they said, and were right. While I'm still a "Cyldesdale," I've lost about 75 lbs and my health overall is much improved. Riding has been key, as are other activities, such as swimming (pool/ocean). Plus an improved approach to eating. I'm the household chef now (wife still working), and, doing nothing extreme, sticking to whole foods, moderation in all things (hence MFP). Good luck to you in your journey.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Your post made me giggle. I loved it. Sounds like we feel the same. I'm 50 by the way. Wish I had got a bike a lot sooner, but I guess it's better then never. I think I will go and ride it for the first time, when it's getting dark, but somewhere with light of course. I'm probably worrying and nervous for nothing. I gotta chill, it's only a bike. Lol

• tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Interesting article in the NYTimes. Good news for cyclists. https://nyti.ms/32Ngkuu
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article!
    tnh2o wrote: »
    Interesting article in the NYTimes. Good news for cyclists. https://nyti.ms/32Ngkuu